Author Topic: Autopsy on an awful hoax  (Read 3591 times)

Suoiruf Selyts

Autopsy on an awful hoax
« on: February 09, 2006, 08:15:56 PM »
I rarely post here, if ever, but I wanted to share this from another forum. Some of you undoubtedly know this guy. For all I know, one of you is this guy.

http://sigforum.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/100106684/p/1

The internet is a very weird place.

cosine

• Administrator
Autopsy on an awful hoax
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 08:22:26 PM »
Yep, saw that yesterday. (I lurk over on Sigforum.) That guy is a member at THR.
Andy

Justin

• friend
Autopsy on an awful hoax
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 08:48:20 PM »
Not any more he isn't.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Autopsy on an awful hoax
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 09:00:32 PM »
Now you know why I generally like using my real name for my web presences, or a user name that is easily associated with me (Kframe19), and why I like it when people do the same...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Parker Dean

• friend
Autopsy on an awful hoax
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 09:03:57 PM »
A couple years ago I got an education about how people will act on the internet from another community centered around a TV show, so I'm not surprised at what people will do.

When I was an early teen I had too much change too fast and wasn't in good shape mentally. Before becoming withdrawn as a mid-teen, I told a lot of whoppers to impress other kids. In retrospect I suppose I didn't feel that I was worthy of being known for myself so I punched up the story, as it were.

I outgrew that, but apparently this guy didn't.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Autopsy on an awful hoax
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 03:56:01 AM »
SuoiruF Selyts - heh,,, clever alter ego... but not CLEVER ENOUGH!! Cheesy

Wow, is all I can say about the other! shocked
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Autopsy on an awful hoax
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 05:25:56 AM »
Gezzzz.... Does nobody come up with ORIGINAL hoaxes anymore?  I watched this sort of thing cause a great deal of anguish and consternation in a Pagan BBS-net in the early 90s, again on a Usenet group around '97, then AGAIN on a classic muscle car forum in the early '00s and now this?
Now you know why I generally like using my real name for my web presences, or a user name that is easily associated with me (Kframe19), and why I like it when people do the same...
+1  I use a handle for online stuff, but its not all the hard to link to my legal ID with a few minutes of thought and work.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Art Eatman

• friend
Autopsy on an awful hoax
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 06:22:01 AM »
I use "Desertrat" sometimes, depending on the forum.  Apropos, given that I've lived in a desert these last 23 years. Smiley

I'm too lazy to lie.  "If ya lie, ya gotta remember what you said."  So, I don't bother.  That doesn't mean I don't try to be entertaining when telling of thisses and thatses from "earlier lives". Smiley

But make up stuff about myself?  Why?  Aw, well.  I've had too much fun in my life to actually have to make up stuff.  I usually just wish the world would calm down some!

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Autopsy on an awful hoax
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 06:36:52 AM »
Wow, another Club Fed candidate. And sounds like someone has all the info needed for the feds to take the guy down.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

cordex

• Administrator
Autopsy on an awful hoax
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 07:05:22 AM »
Cute.  Real cute.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Autopsy on an awful hoax
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 07:10:59 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
Ditto...  Everyone near and far knows me as Charby or The Charby when I have mischief on my mind. Charby is just a shortened version of my last name and my first name of Christian or Chris is pretty common of people born in the early 70's.

Its funny when I use my given name and everyone is like who the hell is that. At work I have my full name on my office door and people have searched for up to 15 minutes trying to find Charby's office.

But its pretty sickening the yarns people will spin on the web, my common responce to pity getters is get a 12 pack of beer and find a piece of tail.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
Autopsy on an awful hoax
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 07:32:32 AM »
Yep. Not at all hard to find me on the web, either. Same name everywhere, and my real name isn't hard to find, given a small effort.
I don't understand these people. How sad must his life be, that he has to make up lies online? Oh, well.
Hi.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Autopsy on an awful hoax
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 07:46:15 AM »
I'm dasmi pretty much everywhere.
My legal name is so common, you could google all day long and not find me Smiley

doczinn

• friend
Autopsy on an awful hoax
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2006, 07:52:38 AM »
The "doc" is from my initials. Not too hard to figure out.

But then I don't lie about myself to impress people or steal rifles, so who'd need to figure it out?
D. R. ZINN

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Autopsy on an awful hoax
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 09:20:02 AM »
My approach is a little different.  I'm sure that with IP addresses and whatnot it's not that hard to find someone; yet I *am* concerned about things like identity theft, personal privacy as it relates to freedom, and what have you.

I've never taken any extreme measures to hide who I am, and anyone I've communicated with via email knows who I am and where I am.  

I guess I feel more secure by fooling myself that I'm still a little "under the radar". rolleyes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Autopsy on an awful hoax
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2006, 09:35:08 AM »
If someone wants my identity, he can have it.

Of course it comes with bad credit and a police record... Cheesy
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Autopsy on an awful hoax
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2006, 09:46:47 AM »
Mike

You just crack me up sometimes! Thanks for the giggle!

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Autopsy on an awful hoax
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2006, 10:00:51 AM »
My identity comes with very little money, enjoy.

280plus

• friend
Autopsy on an awful hoax
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2006, 10:01:51 AM »
See, I look at it just the opposite. With so many obvious nut cases out there do you REALLY want to give anyone an edge in finding out who, what and WHERE you are? Especially if we're talking about what guns I have for example. If you and I have been web pals for a while and we decide theres some reason for it, I'll give you my name, address, email, and phone # privately. There's a few out there on THR and APS that have this info already. None of them have shown up at my door with an axe or anything yet. Cheesy

Strings

Autopsy on an awful hoax
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2006, 03:14:56 PM »
gods... I've been "Hunter Rose" on forums for as long as I've BEEN on forums. However, I've also never "hidden" my identity...

Recently aquired a new nickname, and would change all the "handles" to that if I could...

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Autopsy on an awful hoax
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2006, 03:54:59 PM »
I'm Bogie. I've always been Bogie. I answer to it. And I tend to be a little "mischevious."

And if you don't like it... I can show you major match reports which list a "Bogie" as a competitor.

There are folks on TFL/THR/here who I've met face to face, and they don't remember my name, except for Bogie. Fine.
Blog under construction

Standing Wolf

• friend
Autopsy on an awful hoax
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2006, 04:51:02 PM »
Telling lies is lots of fun until your mother washes out your mouth with soap about the third time.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Antibubba

• friend
Autopsy on an awful hoax
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2006, 06:16:08 PM »
I remember googling my real name once, and found Usenet postings from 1995!  If it's all the same, I'd rather just keep my handle.  That, and my work for the NSA requires I keep a low profile-plus, with the 10 million dinar bounty on me... Wink

Who'd he pretend to be on THR?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Suoiruf Selyts

Autopsy on an awful hoax
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2006, 07:13:10 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
SuoiruF Selyts - heh,,, clever alter ego... but not CLEVER ENOUGH!! Cheesy

Wow, is all I can say about the other! shocked
Damn, I knew I was gonna get busted one day by a total dyslexic.

Wink

280plus

• friend
Autopsy on an awful hoax
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2006, 07:30:38 AM »
D: