Author Topic: Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow  (Read 995 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow
« on: February 12, 2006, 05:36:00 PM »
The expert weather forecasters predicted that NYC would receive 8 to 14 inches of snow during this big storm.  NYC was hit with 27 inches!  That set a new record.

What a mess around here.  The airports were closed most of the day; they are just now reopening and recovering.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 06:40:37 PM »
And?

I laugh at these reports of someone getting pummeled with over a FOOT of snow.  Haven't seen pavement in a few days now, last time I did it was because the sun popped out for a few hours.  They didn't even plow the runway last time I used the airport, took off and landed right on a half foot of snow.  Plane looked impressive coming down the runway.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 04:49:36 AM »
jefnvk,

You're in Marquette, right?

Doesn't matter really, your airport doesn't get the same amount and type of air traffic as JFK, LGA, EWR.  When these airports get this much snow they shut down.  When that happens, hundreds of thousands of people are delayed and diverted and stranded and pissed-off.

Other than just giving out general info on the conditions of the northeast airports there is no, "and?"  So, if you have travel plans that take you into the northeast, check your flight status.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 08:37:18 AM »
I was in Boston in January of 2005 when they got hit by the Noreastern.  

What a mess it caused!  Luckily I was already in the city.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

onions!

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 09:02:58 AM »
I haven't heard,has anyone seen FEMA yet?

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 09:17:03 PM »
Actually, Houghton.

Our airport gets a prop job shuttle three times a day from Minneapolis.  Yeah, nowhere near the traffic that JFK gets.  Heck, nowhere near the traffic that Marquette gets.

I guess it is just a regional thing.  I hear a foot of snow, and go 'dang, it'll take a few more minuets to get somewhere'.  They go 'dang, we aren't going anywhere for a few days'.

Probably no different than getting a few 100+F days in the summer and complaining, while someone from Arizona or Texas is going 'wish it were only 100F here'
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 01:20:22 AM »
You don't understand. Around these parts, the first snowflake to flutter to the ground is an instant call for people to start running their cars into each other as well as inanimate objects like trees, poles, etc...

It never ceases to amaze me.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 03:46:40 AM »
When these airports get this much snow they shut down.  When that happens, hundreds of thousands of people are delayed and diverted and stranded and pissed-off.
This is the reason I work in Operations.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!