Author Topic: Uncontacted tribe spotted in Brazil  (Read 12605 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Uncontacted tribe spotted in Brazil
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2008, 01:52:16 PM »
I wonder if they're privy to that myth of white gods coming and similarly mistake the white men for gods.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2008, 02:31:01 PM »
I wonder if they're privy to that myth of white gods coming and similarly mistake the white men for gods.

That would be so cool.   cheesy
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2008, 02:42:44 PM »
You left out the Syphilis.

Chris

A lot of people believe that syphilis was a new world disease, and didn't hit Europeans until they stopped by to civilize the savages.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2008, 02:43:41 PM »
But we must bring civilization to these naked savages!

If we don't, they will continue to be naked savages and won't be able to benefit from the miracles of credit cards, cell phones, and reruns of Friends!

If they refuse to be civilized, we must slaughter them to save them.

And refrigeration, more than subsistance level agriculture, vaccinations etc etc. If you were really so enamored of a Dark Ages lifestyle you'd be living in the jungles eating grubs too.

Colonial powers treatment of native peoples has often been exploitive..... doesn't mean a stone age lifestyle is better.

Doesn't anyone get sarcastic humor anymore, or has syphilis rotted everyone's brains?

The weekend has barely started and it's already overflowing with 'tards...

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2008, 03:14:02 PM »
I vote an airdrop of RPGs and AKs to keep civilization at bay. Might be a steep and slippery learning curve though.
Yeah, especially the RPGs.
Mebbe they know where the Incan treasure is. Send 'em to Gitmo.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2008, 03:22:45 PM »
Just drop one Coke bottle in their midst.

(For those who didn't get Charby's hint...)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2008, 04:59:45 PM »
Shame Tecumseh isn't here to tell us about Christian missionaries raping and pillaging like modern day vikings.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2008, 05:02:30 PM »
Shame Tecumseh isn't here to tell us about Christian missionaries raping and pillaging like modern day vikings.

I kinda miss the little....wait a minute, no I don't.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2008, 05:09:03 PM »
You left out the Syphilis.

Chris

A lot of people believe that syphilis was a new world disease, and didn't hit Europeans until they stopped by to civilize the savages.

Didn't say which way the "gift" was going. Smiley

Chris

LAK

• friend
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2008, 06:57:38 PM »
They need to be vaccinated and taxed!! We just can not allow people to exist on earth without it.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2008, 07:10:58 PM »

I'll tell you all about it when we get back.  My church was tasked to deploy over there, and we're leaving tomorrow.  Not much pillaging to be done amongst such naked savages, but there's always the raping, right? 

Oh, wait a tic.  Just got word the UN beat us to it.   rolleyes
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2008, 07:20:43 PM »
To be serious for a minute, how cool is it that these people having been living in this area for God knows how long, and despite all of our great technological advances, we just now discovered their very existence.  I find it simply amazing to be reminded just how little we do know in this day and age when people think that we know it all.  imagine what's left here to discover, much less out there beyond the Moon.  Too cool.

The probability that Bigfoot, Yeti, Nessie, Champ, chupacabras, space aliens, et al, may exist and may one day be proven so has increased dramatically by this discovery.

I always thought syphilis was an old world disease that come about as a result of Europeans and Middle Easterners poking fun at sheep.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2008, 07:30:27 PM »
More than half the world's 100 uncontacted tribes live in Brazil or Peru,

Quite a few in Northern California too--no contact with the outside world since the days when Jimi Hendrix was still alive.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2008, 08:52:36 PM »
A lot of people have made the mistake of thinking that such "savages" are defenseless. They never see a warrior moving silently through the forest, and their last sensation is the sting of a dart.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2008, 02:29:04 AM »
In Australia anyways usually the last thing you saw was a spearhead sticking out of your chest.

I'm thinking representatives from McDonalds, Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts should be arriving shortly.  laugh
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2008, 03:58:41 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Iain

• friend
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2008, 04:19:30 AM »

The probability that Bigfoot, Yeti, Nessie, Champ, chupacabras, space aliens, et al, may exist and may one day be proven so has increased dramatically by this discovery.

There's quite a difference between undiscovered and uncontacted. They could probably have proved the existence of settlements using satellites.

Not contacting will likely be a deliberate policy for reasons discussed above.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2008, 04:26:05 AM »
I think we should take steps to make sure civilization leaves them alone and untouched....maybe ring the area with Metalstorms and SAM's set to launch when an electrical source (aircraft, radio, etc) is detected.....  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2008, 05:43:21 AM »
the main issue is the unwanted contact from strip miners and deforesters that are crossing the border into Brazil to pillage
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2008, 07:50:47 AM »
the main issue is the unwanted contact from strip miners and deforesters that are crossing the border into Brazil to pillage

They got radios too....  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2008, 09:29:50 AM »
They aren't uncontacted.

We sent a big metal demon to hover over them for a few minutes. That stuff just don't go away.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2008, 09:32:01 AM »
They aren't uncontacted.

We sent a big metal demon to hover over them for a few minutes. That stuff just don't go away.
Does that mean it's now a free-for-all to sell glass beads and whiskey? laugh

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2008, 10:54:07 AM »
Well the chopper already violated the prime directive, so unless someone has a neuralizer, I guess we should set up the bead booth.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2008, 10:56:32 AM »
Well the chopper already violated the prime directive, so unless someone has a neuralizer, I guess we should set up the bead booth.

Or one of those asteroid zapper/memory erasers from Star Trek.....

I AM KIROK!!!   grin

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2008, 04:41:41 PM »
Also, remember that "stone age tribe" that the NGS "discovered" in the Philipines back in the 1970s ...  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin