Author Topic: Winter Weather Advisory  (Read 13010 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Winter Weather Advisory
« on: January 13, 2009, 11:39:05 AM »
Turn on the TV this morning to catch the nooz and hear ......"The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Weather Advisory for the Chicago Metropolian area....."

Gee... Janurary in Chicago and they need to "Advise" us that it might be cold and snowy.......  ;/ :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Winter Weather Advisory
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 11:40:13 AM »
can you send some of that snow down here to VA?

i'd really like some.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 11:48:29 AM »

i'd really like some.

I second the request.

I love snow. One of the things I miss about Illinois.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »
Turn on the TV this morning to catch the nooz and hear ......"The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Weather Advisory for the Chicago Metropolian area....."

Gee... Janurary in Chicago and they need to "Advise" us that it might be cold and snowy.......  ;/ :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I see Chicago got Iowa's yesterday weather. 35 mph sustained winds last night.

I'm running out of places to put snow in my yard. I have some piles near my drive way that are close to 5' tall.

More snow tonight in the forcast.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 12:27:14 PM »
I'm running out of places to put snow in my yard. I have some piles near my drive way that are close to 5' tall.

Awww . . . kwitcherbitchin. I grew up in Chicago, and remember the "Big Snow" of 1967 (when I was able to walk over the 4' chain link fence around our home) and the "Blizzard of '79" which kept me from getting back to grad school after Christmas break on time thanks to O'Hare's closure for about a week.

Locally, today's low was near freezing . . . but it' sunny now, and I've never had to shovel two feet of sunshine off my driveway here in Central Texas.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 01:05:30 PM »
I love snow. One of the things I miss about Illinois.

If you want I'll box up some gen-you-wine Illinois snow and send it to you.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 01:18:01 PM »

Yep, us too.  Along with a Blizzard Warning..... (Funny the Blizzard that was supposed to hit last night, umm didn't....)

I'm not complaining about the snow (although it's gotten deep enough here at Festung Scout that the dog is unhappy about going outside to do his bizness, since that entails his fun bits being drug through the snow....), just that I'm getting sick of the nooz, being on constant "OMG !!!!! WEATHER PANIC!!!! WAGD!!!" to the point of what was once considered normal winter weather is "DEADLY WINTER WEATHER STORM BERING DOWN ON US, DEATH !!! MAYHEM !!! CARNAGE !!! FILM AT ELEVEN !!!"
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 01:39:36 PM »

i'd really like some.

Bite your tounge.  Unless it snows on inauguration day, that would please me greatly.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 01:46:58 PM »
Bite your tounge.  Unless it snows on inauguration day, that would please me greatly.

i would like snow on the 20th too. it would make up for having that ^%*&#() sworn in on my birthday.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 04:50:02 PM »

....and I sit here in Texas and smile.....y'all be careful up there....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 05:16:43 PM »
Yep, us too.  Along with a Blizzard Warning..... (Funny the Blizzard that was supposed to hit last night, umm didn't....)

I'm not complaining about the snow (although it's gotten deep enough here at Festung Scout that the dog is unhappy about going outside to do his bizness, since that entails his fun bits being drug through the snow

I snowblow a path in the yard for the Kate and Ike to go do their business. Kind of funny seeing snow and dog turds flying through the air together.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 05:26:07 PM »
I snowblow a path in the yard for the Kate and Ike to go do their business. Kind of funny seeing snow and dog turds flying through the air together.

ha ha ha, I do the same thing for the two pooches residing in my house. I give them a little poop path so they don't do their biz on the patio or walk.

It is in the single digits here (Chicago burbs) now.

Tonight I'm sleeping in the igloo I built at my dads house. I picked up a small tarp to use as a door, now I have to run out and pic up a little candle lantern so I have heat.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 05:36:19 PM »
why? =D ;/
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 05:38:40 PM »
why? =D ;/

Because he is Ron and probably related to Chuck Norris.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 05:40:02 PM »
Didn't you guys see the coming ice age thread? I'll be all set  :laugh:
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 05:45:44 PM »
I would have thought of doing that as a kid, if I hadn't been too tired from shoveling. I loved the outdoors.

I wish it would snow heavily tonight. If school closes I won't have to sing, since my concert was already postponed to tommorow.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 05:50:02 PM »
ha ha ha, I do the same thing for the two pooches residing in my house. I give them a little poop path so they don't do their biz on the patio or walk.

It is in the single digits here (Chicago burbs) now.

Tonight I'm sleeping in the igloo I built at my dads house. I picked up a small tarp to use as a door, now I have to run out and pic up a little candle lantern so I have heat.

At least you can't set it on fire.

Also, inside view?

Iain

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 06:23:50 PM »
Didn't you guys see the coming ice age thread? I'll be all set  :laugh:

You're like my hero tonight. I expect a full report, maybe something less detailed than the guy who twittered his own vasectomy, but details.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 06:49:14 PM »
I expect a full report, maybe something less detailed than the guy who twittered his own vasectomy, but details.

Who the heck did that?

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 07:53:25 PM »
Betcha he didn't twitter that while he was shivering so hard that he couldn't type...

Blog under construction

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 09:03:38 PM »
and how old are ya ron? we factor age into the man points you get.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 09:15:20 PM »
6 degrees here in Meechigan at the moment.  That's shorts and flip flop weather for us.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2009, 11:28:24 AM »
Well I didn't freeze to death last night despite the temps dipping below zero while I moved all my gear into the igloo.

It pretty much warmed up to 30F inside and stayed that temp all night. I never had to zip the sleeping bag all the way up, it is a zero degree bag and very warm.

and how old are ya ron? we factor age into the man points you get.

Mid forties "chronologically".

I may be bringing this kit on a Canada snowshoe trip I'm doing in February. It will be much more pleasant base camping out of an igloo than a backpacking tent. My friend that has a single wall tent w/stove backed out of the trip so I'm exploring other possibilities.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 11:36:36 AM by Ron »

• friends
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2009, 11:31:23 AM »
ron! you are the man! i'm a lil older and my kid likes winter camping. thankfully we share a double bag with a 90 pound dog  keeps us warm

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2009, 11:48:41 AM »
ron! you are the man! i'm a lil older and my kid likes winter camping. thankfully we share a double bag with a 90 pound dog  keeps us warm

My stepmom claims that is where the name of the band "Three Dog Night" comes from, bitterly cold nights where it takes three dogs to snuggle with to keep you warm.