Author Topic: What loot did you get under the tree?  (Read 12541 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: What loot did you get under the tree?
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2009, 07:04:21 AM »
A copy of "Hell, I was There" by Elmer Keith.  =D I'm pretty excited about it. It has been out of print for a long time, I didn't think I'd ever find a decent copy in my price range. It wasn't even on my list, so it was a total surprise. One of the best gifts I've ever gotten.

Excellent book.  It and Sixguns are the two Keith books every sixgunner should own.  The rest are good, but those two are required reading.  Looks like yours is a hardcopy, an even better score.  I have the paperback, but that's because I bought it new at a gunshow.  Bit of  trivia...Keith HATED the title "Hell, I Was There". :)

If you want more Keith books, Abe's Used Books is an excellent source.

Chris

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2009, 12:08:50 PM »
28th Edition Machinery's Handbook.

Radeon HD4670 AGP 1Gb DDR3 video card.

Bunch of clothing from Gander Mountain and Cabelas.

Snow boots for both dogs.  (Hey, I asked for them...)

"Fillet and Release Club" sweatshirt.   =D

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2009, 01:51:57 PM »
i got the mono Beatles box set  [tinfoil],,,,, lol, it was all i wanted, i have everything else i want :O these CDs sound great [popcorn]

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2009, 01:55:18 PM »
If you want more Keith books, Abe's Used Books is an excellent source.

Chris

Thanks for the tip. I've never actually seen a copy of Sixguns or Shotguns in person before.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2009, 02:00:41 PM »
You mean this? Great place.

http://www.abebooks.com/
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2009, 04:07:17 PM »
Best gift didn't cost any money, and I can't repeat it without violating the Art's Grammaw rule...  >:D

We mostly spent money on charity this year.  I got a few things I wanted, bought myself some new fishing rods on clearance.  Wife got me a good belt, and its a size too small...  =(  So I think I've got some work cut out for me.....
Wife picked up some large trolling lures for me.  Some BPS cards that I promptly used up for a gun cleaning station and a new folder. 
Hopefully, I'll be picking up a new pistol at the end of January.  Got $280 stashed for it currently.  Probably going with a RIA 1911, unless the right deal on a G17 or G21 comes along....

Wife is who made out like a bandit.  New VS clothes and skivvies, and a pair of low topped Cole Haan leather boots. 

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2009, 04:09:26 PM »
My family got my wife and I a new-to-us car.  We needed a replacement for the old, beat up Geo Metro we've been driving around in.  The kiddo needed something a little more substantial, so everyone got us a 2001 Hyundai Elantra.  My SIL got me a sign that says love with the L being a Beretta, the O a frag grenade, the V a half-folded knife and the E an AK-47.  Lot's of candy, a turtleneck, and cash-ola.  Sadly, my wife poured me my last shot of really good tequila from Mexico.  Oh yeah, and my daughter got me a diaper/clothes full of poop, although she made me wait until this morning to open it. =D

I'm getting myself a snowboarding trip up to Mt. Hood on the 2nd.  I have been wanting to hit the snow for months.  I so can't wait. ;)  I also might have to buy a few video games, considering the insane sale that Steam has going on right now.  

Wife got me a good belt, and its a size too small...  =(  So I think I've got some work cut out for me.....

I think she's trying to tell you something. :P

In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2009, 04:15:16 PM »
A waffle maker. Mmmm waffles.
Look, tiny text!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2009, 04:22:27 PM »

I think she's trying to tell you something. :P

Ha!  Actually, it was the size I told her to get.  I'm a fat ass.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

grampster

• friend
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2009, 07:50:58 PM »
"A waffle maker. Mmmm waffles."

Hah!  Me too.  Mine's a Waring Pro Double Waffle Maker.  I'm gonna break it in on Monday AM.

A large variety of home made candy and a bunch of Barnes and Noble gift cards.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2009, 08:25:36 PM »
A waffle maker. Mmmm waffles.

was it this one?  >:D gotta have waffles when TSHTF [tinfoil]

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2009, 11:25:32 PM »
Thanks for the tip. I've never actually seen a copy of Sixguns or Shotguns in person before.

At the last big gunshow in NoVa, I saw a hardback copy of Sixguns.  It was in pretty good shape and the price wasn't bad, but I already have a paperback copy, so I left it for the collectors.

Shotguns is pretty common at Abe's.  I got my copy for $16 shipped.  It isn't perfect, but good enough for reading and future reference.

280, that's the place.

Chris

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2009, 11:49:25 PM »

Snow boots for both dogs.  (Hey, I asked for them...)

What kind? Dozer had a set of Muttluks, they didn't last. He has these now. They are lasting much longer, but that might also be because they have zero traction so he can't run in them. I'm still looking for a better solution.

I got new Carhartt jacket, a set of T-Rex motorcycle stands and a FRS radio made for helmets.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2009, 04:21:32 AM »
We were kind of blown away by how much stuff people gave us.   =)

My mother in law gave me a winter coat early, around Thanksgiving.  She said she figured I needed it before Christmas.  She was right.  Past two winters I've been double-laying sweaters when it got below 30.  She also gave me a couple pieces of jewelry--some Lia Sophia and vintage-y stuff.  Some of that was officially a graduation gift, so here's hoping school doesn't find some reason to not graduate me in January.

And another waffle maker here, also from the in-laws.  It's for super-thin waffles, not so much what we'd like to make.  Still, we've wanted one for a while, and thin waffles will be fine.  Nice to have waffles at home.  That one was officially for my husband, but if I get to eat the waffles, I am happy.   =)

My spouse apparently has been saving his pennies, because he gave me an iPod Shuffle.  I've been jonesing for a running-friendly player for a while, but really, really hate wearing armbands and such, so the shuffle should be a good solution.  Trouble is, they tend to fail upon coming into contact with sweat, so I may spend the next several months working through aftermarket accessories to get the thing reliable. 

And my cousins gave us basically an entire camp kitchen.  Stove, some dishes, four cans of propane, clamp-on organizer thing, some accessories, and a big tote to haul it all in.  They seem to have gone to the camping section in WalMart and gotten one of everything.  Incredible.  I can have some reasonable hope that they didn't spend too ungodly of an amount because my cousin's wife works at Wal-Mart and gets a discount, but it still had to have been a whole lot of money. I kind of feel guilty, because we've been on gift-giving hiatus since I started school, and will be until I start earning a living. 

My aunt gave a set of four glass hollow-walled mugs, among other things.  I love hollow-walled glass beyond all reason.  I swear it makes coffee taste better.  The same aunt not only gave the kiddos various cute and awesome clothes and toys, but also slipped us a big bag with about a years' worth of coloring books, crayons, stickers, bubble soap, and assorted other small, consumable toys.  Oh, and we also got a silicone oven mitt shaped like a monkey.  =D

Kids got plenty of neat stuff too.  The pre-schooler got a very high quality chalkboard (seriously, the packing crate this thing came in is better made and of better quality materials than most of our furniture).  Various clothes, several toys for the baby (actually a good thing because she is way more into playing with toys at a young age than her big sister ever was) books, all kinds of stuff.

I spend my spare time today sorting it all out and trying to figure out how to put it all away.  Tomorrow I get to hang up the chalk board.

My Jewish mother, not to be outdone, decided to give me a birthday present for my Jewish birthday (lunar calendar, off by several days-weeks, depending on the year), which is apparently this week, so a gift card from her.  Also some cash from my grandma, which will be spent on classes at the Y for all of us. 

It's been a good weekend.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2009, 10:54:48 AM »
Dammit! Now I want a waffle maker. $5 says there's probably one around here somewhere. Dammit! Now I gotta go dig around and look for the waffemaker.  :mad:

=D

What I like about Abe Books rignt NOW is seeing the Idriess Guerilla series facsimile I bought from them in 2002 @$177 now going for $400-$600.

There are only 500 copies of the facsimile in the entire world and I have one. ;-)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2009, 11:17:34 AM »
The remarkable item was an AR 15 dust cover, that, when sprung open, has ZOMBIE HUNTER lazer etched on it.  The "O" in zombie is actually a bio-hazard sign.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2009, 02:13:36 PM »
280, honestly if you know how to handle castiron, get the one i posted a link to. best waffles i've made in years.  [popcorn] i can outdo the waffle house now. >:D but it is kinda small. wish someone would make a nice 10incher. =D or a set of castiron plates for an electric iron. [tinfoil]

rome castiron
http://www.castironwafflemakers.com/usingwafflemaker
oh, and i use a hotplate because it was hard to get a hold of on the stove top. :cool: and one more thing that is nice, if you time it right you can lift off half and dump the finished waffle on the stack. :lol:

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2009, 03:01:47 PM »
Fiancee got me a tie bar/clip, sweater, as well as other small doodads. Most of the loot came to both of us from her mother and is stuff for the future house.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2009, 05:01:02 PM »
Bronchitis.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2009, 07:16:37 PM »
Also bought myself, forgot about that one lol.

Fiancee oogled over a ring and found it triple wrapped under the tree  >:D and also got a nice dinner at the melting pot.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2009, 07:29:56 PM »
Got one of them shiatsu plug in rolly back massage thingies. Works real, REAL goooood...  =D

Me too.  It's working on my neck as I type this.

Also got a smoker and a bag of hickory/alder chips.  I've got venison marinading right now.  I'll be firing up that smoker for its innagural batch in the morning.  Did a seasoning run with it last night.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2009, 08:59:48 PM »
Food dehydrator and a jerky gun!  Socks, a belt, jeans and a dress shirt. 
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2009, 09:25:54 PM »
Looks like I might get a late present for myself.  RIA 1911 "tactical"  >:D
JD

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2009, 09:26:54 PM »
blender
$50 at llbean
shooting stick
socks
underwear
AK-74 - more accurately $750 to spend on one + ammo from the parents!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 09:30:21 PM by 41magsnub »

KPT

« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2009, 10:59:54 PM »
A locker for the truck's 8.8
1 TB HD
some LED's to replace the dead lights for the signal meters for an amp I got recently

Some other random small things I don't remember.