Author Topic: Coolest car on the planet  (Read 12575 times)

Preacherman

Coolest car on the planet
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2005, 07:57:38 AM »
Sorry, guys, but American cars simply don't qualify for "coolth".  Power, yes;  size, yes;  but coolth, no.  Now, if you want cool, how about the Bentley 6 from the 1930's?

Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2005, 06:25:14 PM »
Quote from: Penman
but garrettwc's Toyota 2000 GT is nice, too. Too bad they didn't last very long.
Bite your tongue Penman. That's a Ferrari, not a rice burner. :p

...has left the building.

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2005, 04:43:45 AM »
Yeah I hate those trashy "ricers" like this ugly thing:

Smiley

Pebcac

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2005, 10:34:31 AM »

1958 Porsche 356 Speedster.  Mmmm.
Problem exists between computer and chair.

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2005, 11:28:59 AM »
I must be weird. This is about the coolest car I've come across.

Although Pebcac's 356 is pretty sweet.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Penman

« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2005, 02:50:56 PM »
Quote from: garrettwc
Quote from: Penman
but garrettwc's Toyota 2000 GT is nice, too. Too bad they didn't last very long.
Yup, realized that after a while. I'll go stand in the corner with an oil funnel on my head...

garrettwc

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2005, 06:54:24 PM »
Now Daniel, I didn't say rice burners were trashy. In fact I like some of the newer tuner cars such as the Skyline you posted. They're just in a different class from a vintage Ferrari.

...has left the building.

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2005, 07:30:29 PM »
garrettwc- Sorry I just get irritated when people say "ricer" or "rice burner". Even though people maintain that it isn't, to me it is a racist term. Anyway, Nissan is coming out with a special edition GT-R Z-Tune Skyline, 10.06 in the 1/4 from the factory. Limited to 20 worldwide and a GREAT bargain at $170K. Now where did I stash all my loose change... Smiley

garrettwc

• friend
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2005, 07:58:35 AM »
No harm done Daniel. I never saw it that way, but your point has merit. Something to consider.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2005, 08:47:02 AM »
Gotta agree with Pebcac.  No car does it for me like an early Porsche.  I don't even care much for the new ones.  

Chris

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2005, 02:11:32 PM »
Drooling over that "Sniper"...
D. R. ZINN

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2005, 04:28:59 PM »
Hmmm, I'm kind of surprised that so many of my faves are being listed here.  But coolest has to be http://www.motorbase.com/vehicle/by-id/51/gallery.ehtml

How about most beautiful ?  I really like the new Ford GT.  I am also a big fan of the looks of the old Dino Ferrari.  But most beautiful production car ever ?  I'll add another vote to the Jaguar XK-E.  No contest.  And this was what, 1961 or so ?

Cool Hand Luke 22:36

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2005, 08:20:40 PM »
Sorry, guys, but American cars simply don't qualify for "coolth".  Power, yes;  size, yes;  but coolth, no.  Now, if you want cool, how about the Bentley 6 from the 1930's?
I disagree. "Coolness" is defined by popular culture and its embrace of a "something" that's seen as "Cool".

Popular culture embraces American cars like no other.  Show me a movie with a chase scene as celebrated as that between Steve McQueen's '67 Mustang and the '68(?) Dodge Charger in the movie Bullitt. James Bond movies have good chase scenes but are really more about the gadgets in the car than the car itself.

Or show me a movie like "American Grafitti which pays homage to the "coolness" of American cars.

I can't recall any songs that celebrate a foreign car in the way the songs "Little Deuce Coupe", "409", etc. celebrate American cars.

Do cars get any cooler than this:

No, they do not.
"Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it."
Henry David Thoreau

Cool Hand Luke 22:36

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2005, 08:36:04 PM »
Of course, that's not to say they don't get just as cool:

"Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it."
Henry David Thoreau

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2005, 04:23:52 AM »
As much as I like the Ferraris, this is what I believe to be the coolest car ever made.  And speaking of crumpet collectors/knicker droppers, my Grandfather had a 62 and the family rumor is that it was where I was conceived.  Unfortunately, my jackass father totalled it when I was about 2.  It would have been mine.  

OK, I can't figure out how to post a pic.  Anyways the car is the Aston Martin DB4 Vantage convertible.

Let's try a link.
http://www.astonmartins.com/db4_5_6_s/images/am1050.jpg
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Jason

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2005, 04:30:58 AM »
Quote from: Stickjockey
I must be weird. This is about the coolest car I've come across.

http://motoring.virgin.net/gallery/Biscaretti_Museum_in_Turin/IMG_0507.jpg

Although Pebcac's 356 is pretty sweet.
Agreed.  Part billy goat, part American Icon, part Hero.  Anyone that's never ridden in one can't understand.  Fix it with duct tape and bailing wire on the side of a mountain, miles from civilization.  Bounce and putt along at 5mph over terrain most people wouldn't walk over....I love Jeeps

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2005, 02:48:34 PM »
Perhaps not the coolest car in the WHOLE world, but for now, the coolest car in MY world. Cheesy  And the most complicated! Shocked

Still haven't had it over 4000 RPM.....darn break-in period. Wink

natedog

• friend
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2005, 08:08:15 PM »
CHL: Here, here. I prefer em in forest green, though, with white stripes Smiley .

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2005, 08:52:02 AM »
I'm kinda partial to Elanore.

But the GT40 and TNGO's Superbird rub me the right way, too.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2005, 05:11:59 AM »
DJJ, I see you finally made your decision.  It took me a few days before that hit me.  Excellent choice.  Nice ride you got there.  Figured out any of the complicated bits yet?
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2005, 05:58:10 AM »
All this and it cost $0.
You paid too much !  Smiley

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2005, 01:16:24 PM »
Quote from: Dannyboy
DJJ, I see you finally made your decision.  It took me a few days before that hit me.  Excellent choice.  Nice ride you got there.  Figured out any of the complicated bits yet?
Everything but the area from the grille to the firewall, and between the fenders. Subaru must install their engines with a shoehorn. But so far, it's a sweet little machine.

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2005, 02:27:49 PM »
Have you seen the brand-spanking new Shelby yet? I think, actually, that someone here had photos of them attending an expo where it was displayed. For me, that or a Viper GTS might be the prettiest thing around.

However, I of course have a very special place in my heart for my '55 Studebaker Commander.... an absolute beauty. Sounds even better than it looks.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

nico

• friend
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2005, 11:14:47 AM »
My dad almost bought a '70 or '71 E-Type (V12, but before the plastic tumors on the bumper) in the late 70s.  To this day he wishes he bought it and I wouldn't be surprised if he bought one in the next few years.  

IMO, it's pretty hard to define the "coolest" car ever.  Just about anything from Maranello is gorgeous (the Daytona roadster looks a lot better than the coupe IMO).  That being said, the coolest car that I've ridden in was a '99 355 Barchetta at a track day at Summit Point a couple years ago.  It wasn't the fastest car on the track (there was an FD RX7 that had a ton of suspension work and was probably making over 400hp), but it was definitely the sweetest sounding street car I've seen in person.  The coolest car I've driven is a 3.0 E36 M3 with a Dinan supercharger and chip, glasspacks, coilovers, huge swaybars, and R compound tires that belongs to one of my dad's best friends.  ~330whp and no detectable body roll Cheesy