Author Topic: Handgun caliber choice  (Read 12637 times)

brimic

• friends
Handgun caliber choice
« on: May 11, 2012, 04:12:05 PM »
I went to Gander Mountain/Gun World last night to look at a smaller carry piece (I'm currently carrying a full sized 1911), didn't see too much that appealed to me, but got distracted by shiny new Ruger Blackhawks.

Now I don't have any definate need for one, but really want one with a 4 5/8" barrel in either .45 or .357, but can't decide which.
I already have a hunting handgun (SRH in .480), so I wouldn't neccessarily need the .45 and shooting .38s might be a lot more economical at the range, but for some reason I want the .45. ???
Other than a range toy, I could see using it for carry when hiking in N. WI for defense against predators. (The SRH is a lot bigger than something I would want to carry).
They also had one in .44 spcl and another in .41 both of which appeal to me as well.....

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Handgun caliber choice
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 05:01:00 PM »
You are thinking of .45LC, as opposed to .45APC, right?

.45apc revolvers are great SD carries but I just can't see them taking on a 4-footed woodland denizen with anything approaching "authority".  Better than sharp words, or even a pointy stick, but otherwise, not so much.

.45lc has a long history of being able to knock down woodland critters up to and including "OMG that's big and it's charging at me".

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 05:02:14 PM »
LC- absolutely.

Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 05:10:16 PM »
Now I don't have any definate need for one, but really want one with a 4 5/8" barrel in either .45 or .357, but can't decide which.

Both  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 05:30:27 PM »
44special.  It's built on the smaller frame.  It'll pack easier.

Chris

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 05:34:52 PM »
I went to Gander Mountain/Gun World last night to look at a smaller carry piece (I'm currently carrying a full sized 1911), didn't see too much that appealed to me, but got distracted by shiny new Ruger Blackhawks.

The correct gun nut answer is "yes".

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 05:54:04 PM »
44special.  It's built on the smaller frame.  It'll pack easier.

Tha Vaquero?

Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 06:14:20 PM »
I say get something in .460 XVR.

It can also shoot .454 Casull, and .45 Colt.
I promise not to duck.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 07:36:50 PM »
You are thinking of .45LC, as opposed to .45APC, right?

.45apc revolvers are great SD carries but I just can't see them taking on a 4-footed woodland denizen with anything approaching "authority".  Better than sharp words, or even a pointy stick, but otherwise, not so much.

.45lc has a long history of being able to knock down woodland critters up to and including "OMG that's big and it's charging at me".

stay safe.

.45APC? Have another bere.  ;)
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 09:12:54 PM »
Tha Vaquero?

Mid-frame flattop.

Chris

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 10:36:57 PM »
Very, very happy with my CZ platform 10mm.  I was going to get the .45 ACP kit and a couple mage for it (actually, I may do that still) but I'm having a lot of fun with 10mm.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 11:06:12 PM »
For a medium-frame packing gun, it's hard to go wrong with the  .45....both the Colt & the ACP. Get a convertible and use whichever ammo you have the most of....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 11:56:58 PM »
I'd shoot it more if it was a .357/.38, but I don't reload.
4-5/8" is a really nice bbl length.
Tough decision.  I be split between .44 spl and .357.

I shot some Vaqueros years ago. 357 and .44 -  I loved them.
At the same time I shot a Blackhawk 45 LC and my wrist still hurts.
7-11 was a part time job.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 12:59:48 AM »
but I don't reload.

I see your main problem there.

Reloading not only allows you to shoot more (no it WON'T save you any money).
It also allows you to create loads tailored to just about any shooting need a person might imagine.
Of course then you'll need to start casting your own bullets which opens up a whole 'nother world of shooting.
Casting though can get to be an obsession. I recently acquired a pile of 2nd hand reloading and casting stuff. In the pile is a semi-wad cutter mold for .44 Mag/Special. Now I have to get a new gun to shoot that bullet with Probably go with a Ruger single action.
Someone I know suggested that I could just trade that mold for something I already use.
I don't think he's all that tightly wrapped.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 09:37:49 AM »
I shot a Blackhawk 45 LC and my wrist still hurts.

Must have been some insane handloads.  =|

Standard .45 load in a Blackhawk is a pussy cat.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 09:53:06 AM »
Standard .45 load in a Blackhawk is a pussy cat.

Same in the Vaquero. The .45LC is great for handloading as well. You can get a wide range out of it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 09:57:32 AM »
I recently acquired a pile of 2nd hand reloading and casting stuff.

Anything you end up deciding you don't want, run by the collective here.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 11:36:06 AM »
Oh, a shiny stainless Blackhawk in .357 with the 4 5/8 barrel would be almost irresistible to me.  Good thing I have not seen any in ages.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2012, 12:11:14 PM »
Oh, a shiny stainless Blackhawk in .357 with the 4 5/8 barrel would be almost irresistible to me.  Good thing I have not seen any in ages.

Unless you really want/need adjustable sights, the slightly slimmer Vaquero might be a better choice in .357  =|

I sorta wish that I had gone that route instead of the brawny blue Blackhawk.  I don't care so much for stainless, but it would probably be a lot better for everyday carry.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2012, 05:30:53 PM »
A lot of people like single action revolvers, and shoot them very well.

I'm not one of them.

Years ago I had a Ruger Super Single Six convertible (.22lr/.22 mag) and had a lot of fun with it, but I find that in any serious caliber (.357 Mag and up) it's much more comfortable to shoot a DA handgun than SA - the SA grip just isn't meant to control recoil, and the relatively high bore line magnifies muzzle flip.

Try and shoot one before you buy - you may love it, or you may end up having the same response I do.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2012, 05:32:51 PM »
Unless you really want/need adjustable sights, the slightly slimmer Vaquero might be a better choice in .357

The reason why I'd be more interested in a BH in .45LC than the Vaquero is that you can load the .45LC up to its potential in the BH.

Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2012, 05:35:28 PM »
Try and shoot one before you buy - you may love it, or you may end up having the same response I do.

My Dad has had a .357 BH for about 40 years or so, I grew up shooting quite a few .38s through it, though I never shot any of his .357 loads.
Your right about the grip though- the DA's tend to push back in a straighter line while the SAs roll in your hand.

Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2012, 10:15:51 PM »
The reason why I'd be more interested in a BH in .45LC than the Vaquero is that you can load the .45LC up to its potential in the BH.

Yep  ;)

Unless you find one of the "old" Vaqueros.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2012, 08:34:35 AM »
Anything you end up deciding you don't want, run by the collective here.

Only thing I didn't have an immediate use for was the .44 mold and I've already decided on a course of action for that.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2012, 09:50:43 AM »
I shot some Vaqueros years ago. 357 and .44 -  I loved them.
At the same time I shot a Blackhawk 45 LC and my wrist still hurts.

There's definitely something wrong there.

Comparing the specs for the same Hornady XTP ammo, in .44 Spl it fires a 180-gr bullet at 1000 fps for 400 ft-lbs of energy. The same ammo in .45 Colt fires a 255-gr bullet at 725 fps for 239 ft-lbs of energy. How could a round with half the muzzle energy hurt your wrist more than ammo with almost twice the energy?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design