Author Topic: Y'all be safe during the big chill this week!  (Read 12953 times)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Y'all be safe during the big chill this week!
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2014, 04:36:27 PM »
Luckly, I had commented to Dad that I was finally cold enough to welcome a kerosene heater in the living room. Up till now, it's been just the new one in his room.

Last night, with both heaters going, it got so toasty, I had to turn the one in the living room off around 2 am because I was roasting to death.

Say what you will about kerosene, it's *expletive deleted*ing WARM.

Dad's paranoid the pipes will freeze. I told him if he's that wacked out, just turn the water off and empty the pipes tomorrow.
But that's the only concern. I gots chili in the crockpot, plenty of food and water and blankets and kerosene. Dad will leave for work about the same time as I get home, so the doggys and kitties will have continious heat.
It's going to suck getting the car started to go to work tuesday morning. *brr* the forcast says 13° right when I have to go outside. :(
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2014, 09:14:24 PM »
^^^usually you can do alright by leaving the faucet dripping.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2014, 09:25:18 PM »

This, and leave the cabinet doors open on those fixtures that have pipes in external walls.

Two sponges in the bottom of the sink for the faucet to drip onto are enough so that it's not Chinese Water Torture.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 09:30:52 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2014, 09:32:13 PM »
Grocery stores were madness today with people buying more toilet paper and french bread fixin's.   (Eggs, milk, bread)  I didn't see many folks buying bottled water.  

Daughter treated us to a good "weird save-a-lot customer" rant when she got home.  Gotta have that package of baloney.

We haven't experienced stuff like this since back in 1996.

We had 27 below a few winters ago, for a day.

Weather thingee says

TONIGHT
WINDY. CLOUDY IN THE EVENING THEN BECOMING PARTLY
CLOUDY. AREAS OF BLOWING SNOW. BITTERLY COLD. LOWS 17 TO 21
BELOW. LOWEST WIND CHILL READINGS 35 BELOW TO 45 BELOW ZERO.
NORTHWEST WINDS 20 TO 30 MPH. GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH.

MONDAY
PARTLY SUNNY. AREAS OF BLOWING SNOW. BLUSTERY. BITTERLY
COLD. HIGHS 11 TO 15 BELOW. WIND CHILLS AS LOW AS 40 BELOW TO
50 BELOW ZERO. NORTHWEST WINDS 10 TO 20 MPH EARLY IN THE MORNING
BECOMING WEST AND INCREASING TO 15 TO 25 MPH IN THE LATE MORNING
AND AFTERNOON. GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH.

Which would be for Greater Rockford Airport.

I'll be fine with not going in to work tomorrow, if it comes to that.

What do you do when the sewer line freezes?

Go in the abandoned house next door.  Duh.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2014, 09:43:02 PM »

That's what we normally do.

But 7° is signifigently lower then normal... Actually it's lower then abnormal.

This is not an area of household maintanice that Dad does well with. He is truely and abjectly paranoid about the damn pipes. The main pipe is wraped with heat tape stuff and he'll drip the facets anytime the weather even thinks of dipping below the freezing mark.

He drives me batty on the subject all winter. Which is why I told him to just drain the pipes. I'll do without water for a night rather then have him call me 20 times in four hours to check if the water is still running.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2014, 10:12:00 PM »
This is not an area of household maintanice that Dad does well with. He is truely and abjectly paranoid about the damn pipes. The main pipe is wraped with heat tape stuff and he'll drip the facets anytime the weather even thinks of dipping below the freezing mark.

Nothing's quite so much fun (I know from experience) as crawling around under a mobile home while it's freezing, trying to unfreeze a water pipe.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Re: Y'all be safe during the big chill this week!
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2014, 10:16:43 PM »
Nothing's quite so much fun (I know from experience) as crawling around under a mobile home while it's freezing, trying to unfreeze a water pipe.
Btdt.

Sent via tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2014, 11:07:01 PM »
It's so cold here my remote weather station has died. It says it is 84° with 0% humidity and no wind. Well the wind has dropped from the 30 MPH gusts and I know the humidity is low but the temp is about 80° off.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2014, 11:32:16 PM »
Snow day tomorrow! For wifey and I.

We've been holed up since last night. Skipped church this morning, but I went out and shoveled about 16" out of the driveway, so we could make the evening service. We went about 1/4 mile, and turned around. The streets were no good, and the windshield wipers are shredded on wifey's car.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2014, 01:01:46 AM »
We've moved into the southern portion of the house.  We're sleeping in the living room by the fireplace, and have closed all the doors to back bedrooms confining us to the living room, kitchen, dining room, bathrooms, and basement.  The wind has really started to pick up.

Thermostat is set to 68F, but the furnace has only kicked on four times today.  There's a load of firewood* inside and another load* just outside the back door.

We *might* go to the library tomorrow and maybe hit Aldi just to see it there was more utter devastation today as a follow-up to yesterday's Locust Swarm.  Plus the store manager is really cute, although I thinks she falls outside the "Half your age plus seven years" rule^ for me.   On the low side.   =| =D

We're good on everything.  Robert was all  ??? ??? when I was filling up a couple of five gallons buckets, until I explained the potential loss of water and the subsequent invocation of the "If it's yellow, let it mellow; if it's brown, flush it down." rule.  Which earned me a  :O ;/ :lol: from him.  :-* :-*

*- "Load of firewood" being enough stacked by the fireplace to last at least 24 hours while putting out enough heat to keep the bricks toasty.  So we've got enough to get to Wednesday morning, before we'd have to dig more out of the snow.

^- When I told him that means he could only date girls that were thirteen and not twelve, it took him a moment to do the math in his head and got me another  :O ;/ :lol: from him.   He also then announced that he doesn't have a girlfriend and doesn't want one, because the girls in his classes are "Mean and Bossy".  To which I told him, "All of them are."
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2014, 05:30:35 AM »
Rain moved out and temperture stayed a few degrees higher than expected, so our morning snow isn't going to develop. But we are also at todays high right now, 40 with wind feels like 32.

News just said that overnight tonight, with wind chill, we may see -18. Most of the night through tomorrow morning is forecasted to be below zero with wind chill. They also mentioned that the county will be opening it's emergency sheltors incase anyones house wont stay warm enough, furnace outages, etc.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2014, 07:40:35 AM »
holy temperature swing.   right now we have a high of 48f and by tonight they are calling for -35 to -45 with wind chill (-1f actual).   even with out the wind chill i don't remember seeing a difference of almost 50 degrees before.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2014, 07:57:00 AM »
I'm almost disappointed. They were forecasting -20 to -25 for this morning (wind chill 30-50 below), and it's only -15.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2014, 08:02:30 AM »
feels like    -42.2

i suppose i need to get up sometime.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2014, 08:08:27 AM »
Sitting here in the balmy 49* that is The City With the Largest Collection of 2nd Place Trophies, I got to wondering.

How many of you folks in the midst of Snowmagedon/Globular Warmering have checked your water stash in your vehicles?  Better yet, how many went out and removed at least 4% from each container?

Friend of mine in Rochester (MN where it is currently -20, as opposed to NY where it is currently only 32) says he has a case of plastic-bottle-shaped icicles on the back seat.  His plan is:

1 - clean out a large tub
2 - dump the icicles (along with their molds) into the tub
3 - carry the tub inside and let the icicles thaw
4- ?
5 - profit

That and possibly washing his wool boot socks in sparkling clear spring water.

So, seriously, how many of you preppers prepped for that?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2014, 08:16:39 AM »
the 12 ounce bottles we buy seem to have enough expansion built-in that we don't have to worry about it.  we throw them in the freezer as-is with no trouble.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2014, 08:20:58 AM »
-15f in Central Iowa!
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2014, 08:26:18 AM »
^- When I told him that means he could only date girls that were thirteen and not twelve, it took him a moment to do the math in his head and got me another  shocked rolleyes cheesy from him.   He also then announced that he doesn't have a girlfriend and doesn't want one, because the girls in his classes are "Mean and Bossy".  To which I told him, "All of them are."

Application of the rule to teens?  Interesting.

Especially since when the water line freezes it's usually not just freezing, but way beyond into the frigid.  And it's usually night time.

Snow day tomorrow!

Hopefully.  Looks like the school's Exchange Server is down.  Goody.  (Given that everything's down, I'm guessing it's Interwebz.)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 09:39:47 AM by lee n. field »

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2014, 08:52:09 AM »
-19F with -40 windchill. Truck no start but roads closed anyway. I'll be spending the day inside worrying about my next propane bill.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2014, 09:07:30 AM »
-10 here this morning. The water in my truck has been frozen for over a week, I'll keep on by the heater to thaw it out while I drive.

Now, I need to o see if the truck will start. Got a couple of no heat calls already. Warm layers are stacked on.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2014, 09:13:22 AM »
A balmy -2 here, -19 windchill. The wife "forgot" to stoke the wood stove before she went to bed :facepalm:.
I came home and the temp on the thermostat wasn't there, the needle was out of sight on the low side my gues was mid 40s in the house. I built up the fire then I broke down and fired up the NG central furnace for the 1st time in 3 years (other than the usual seasonal function check).
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2014, 09:26:37 AM »
48 when i got up   44 now
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2014, 09:49:40 AM »
I checked the temperature at 05:00 when the dogs woke me up, and it was -21.  Now it's -23, so still headed the wrong direction but hopefully about bottomed-out.
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2014, 10:26:25 AM »
-10 this morning, but it's warming up already and the sun isn't even up yet.

We only got a couple inches of snow (mostly Saturday) out here in the Great Frozen American Desert.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2014, 10:28:50 AM »
It was high 40s when I got up at 6:30. It's been dropping ever since. The fun part is the wind. It's comfortable till the wind hits you, and then you go "well, crap. It is going to get cold."
I got sent to the farm. I'm hoping it doesn't drop too much before I get done out here.