Author Topic: Tampa theater shooting by ex-police captain  (Read 12628 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: Tampa theater shooting by ex-police captain
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2022, 06:34:11 AM »
Thread necro:

They finished the trial on this guy last week.  Acquittal.

I admit I was surprised,  I didn't think this was a good shooting,  but he convinced a jury that getting a phone chucked at him while being old and frail put him in fear of his life.

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/news/2022/02/25/closing-arguments-to-begin-friday-in-movie-theater-shooting-trial

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2022, 07:12:32 AM »
Holy crap, this took place 8 years ago?

I vaguely remember this when it happened. Why did it take so long to come to trial?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2022, 07:12:59 AM »
Not only that -- NO witnesses corroborated the phone part of his story. So he shot a guy over texting BEFORE THE MOVIE STARTED, and over a bag of popcorn.

I think too many people were impressed by the fact that he's a retired cop. I tink if this had been anyone other than a cop the jury would have convicted in less than an hour.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2022, 07:14:09 AM »

I vaguely remember this when it happened. Why did it take so long to come to trial?

COVID-19. Did you even need to ask? That's the excuse reason for everything now. Never mind that COVID-19 has only been with us for two years -- the delays were due to COVID-19. Get that through your head.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2022, 07:19:55 AM »

As I recall there was some lawyer stalling, then he requested a Stand Your Ground hearing, which he lost, then some more lawyer stalling.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2022, 04:05:38 AM »
Not only that -- NO witnesses corroborated the phone part of his story. So he shot a guy over texting BEFORE THE MOVIE STARTED, and over a bag of popcorn.

I think too many people were impressed by the fact that he's a retired cop. I tink if this had been anyone other than a cop the jury would have convicted in less than an hour.

Didn’t watch any of the trial coverage but did watch the Rekieta Law recap.  He disagrees with you on the first part.

https://youtu.be/deKiFypW10Q

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2022, 10:29:49 PM »
 I'm glad he got acquitted, hopefully it sends a message to the thugs out there - "just because you are bigger/stronger does not mean you are allowed to bully the weaker/smaller"
 He ( probably - i wasn't there/don't know enough )  got in the old cops face, standing over him, screaming and then threw the bag in his face.
  The screaming combined with a bag that obscured his vision and proximity - to me means the elderly cop could very well be in reasonable fear that the next move was a punch in the face-quite possibly deadly for anyone but especially elderly
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2022, 10:43:59 PM »
yup, the one pic I found shows Chad standing right over the seated old cop.
 Chad also appears to be very tall, easily over 6ft .

That being said, it is very tragic that he got shot-he had a beautiful family, I looked him up online and discovered he was an avid motorcyclist.
So I totally relate to him, I'm not a "biker" but I did ride "rice burners" for a living and you have to be kind of aggressive to ride motorcycles all the time.
 I'm glad the cop was acquitted but sure do feel sorry for Chad's family
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."