Author Topic: Nugent Rocks Perry Ball with Confederate Flag Shirt  (Read 12608 times)

mustanger98

• friend
Re: Nugent Rocks Perry Ball with Confederate Flag Shirt
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2007, 10:30:48 AM »
Why did the South leave the Union to protect slavery if slavery was perfectly legal in the Union (it was)?
I'm not saying this is the whole reason for the war, but many in the South were convinced of a Yankee conspiracy to subjugate the South to extremist Yankee notions, abolishing slavery being one of those.  This was only confirmed by the ascendancy of an explicitly anti-slavery party.  That is, the election of Republican Abraham Lincoln.

If you read the Lincoln-Douglas debates when they were running for the office of POTUS, Abraham Lincoln said regarding slavery that he had no inclination to abolish it. He didn't "free the slaves in the states currently in rebellion" with the Emancipation Proclamation until 1863. Slaves in northern states weren't freed until the end of the so-called Reconstruction.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2007, 10:47:04 AM »
I think this is one of the quotes mustanger is talking about.

"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing
about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black
races - that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or
jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry
with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical
difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever
forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality.
And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there
must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other
man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.
I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is
to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything."

Abraham Lincoln

Source: September 18, 1858 - Fourth Debate with Stephen A. Douglas
at Charleston, Illinois

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2007, 10:50:26 AM »
Now that the KKK has been brought into this discussion, here's a photo from a Klan rally...

Hey, I was just wondering . . . is Robert Byrd in that picture anywhere?

[thread hijack]I often thought that picturing a Klan rally with a voice over saying "Is this Robert Byrd? Or is this him? Or is Robert Byrd over here?" as a superimposed arrow pointed in succession to different Klansmen would have been a great campaign commercial for one of his opponents, especially if it ended with "Call Robert Byrd's office in Washington at 202-xxx-xxxx and ask him if he made it into this picture, so that he can get full and proper credit for his participation."[/thread hijack]
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2007, 10:53:54 AM »
Guys, you're NOT GETTING IT.

I don't care about history. I don't care about 150 years ago, and who was doing what to whom (or vice versa...).

What matters is NOW. And tomorrow.

The plain and simple truth is that the rebel flag is viewed by the vast majority of the population as being the flag of the racist bigots. Sure, you can say over and over again that that isn't the case, but guess what? What you say about it doesn't matter. The stars and bars = backwoods southern racists in the minds of probably over 75% of the population. And that is NOT going to change.

One should pick one's fights wisely, and being a flaggot is pretty much guaranteed to ensure that any OTHER message you convey is also viewed in the same light - associated with racism and bigotry.

When you have your flaggot sticker next to your NRA sticker, you are polluting my NRA.

Blog under construction

Glock Glockler

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2007, 11:07:03 AM »
Bogie,

I agree, that's why I wrote this, but it's fun to debate the other issue as well grin

"THAT being said, Nugent is an idiot who is only out for his own glorification even if it comes at the expense of whatever cause he claims to support, heck, those antics were probably the only way that he would have gotten his name in the paper.  Everyone with 1/10th of a brain knows that if you're not a Democrat and you have a "Confederate" flag showing that you make youself a target for bashing.  Nugent belongs in a trailer park, hopefully people will realize that and stop inviting him to political functions"

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2007, 11:27:41 AM »
Another way of saying "here and now" is "politically correct".  Yes, I recognize that political correctness exists in all its mind-numbingly petty idiocy, but you won't find me actively promoting it.  I tolerate it simply because it is part of our current culture, not because I think it has any positive value to society.

The facts of history are ... the facts of history.  The current twists and turns (including the venom-laden twattle about the Confederate Flag) are a product of hyper-sensitive groups of self-aggrandizing "oh-poor-me" types with nothing better to do than blame everyone else for their problems.  Their main contribution to society is to make sure the rest of us spend our days walking on eggshells lest we bruise their delicate sensibilities.

Quite honestly, I'm tired of the whole damn thing.  Tired of having it shoved in my face 24/7.  Tired of being browbeaten with how bad someone has it when they created the situation for themselves.  Tired of seeing people of any color, creed, or origin who've worked their entire lives towards a jobs or college placement goal only to lose it to people who's only qualification is their color, creed, or national origin.  Tired of hearing people who've never been personally wronged (but have personally benefitted from the situation) constantly point fingers and pitch a fit that people like me are the problem when all I want is to be blissfully colorblind, raceblind, and originblind.  But we can't because the people who want us to be won't let the !@&$%! issue go!!!.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2007, 11:50:11 AM »
Why did the South leave the Union to protect slavery if slavery was perfectly legal in the Union (it was)?
I'm not saying this is the whole reason for the war, but many in the South were convinced of a Yankee conspiracy to subjugate the South to extremist Yankee notions, abolishing slavery being one of those.  This was only confirmed by the ascendancy of an explicitly anti-slavery party.  That is, the election of Republican Abraham Lincoln.

If you read the Lincoln-Douglas debates when they were running for the office of POTUS, Abraham Lincoln said regarding slavery that he had no inclination to abolish it. He didn't "free the slaves in the states currently in rebellion" with the Emancipation Proclamation until 1863. Slaves in northern states weren't freed until the end of the so-called Reconstruction.

What is your point? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2007, 11:57:52 AM »
That Lincoln did not set out to be the great emancipator he's been portrayed as, but rather used slavery to his advantage during the war in two ways I can think of right off. One way was to deprive Southern slave owners, who only made up 5% of the population, of their "property" as ruled by the pre-war SCOTUS in the Dred Scott case. The other way was to use slavery, or the evil-looking depictions of it, for propaganda purposes in European countries to enrage those people into joining the Union Army just for the boost in troop strength. In this process, Abraham Lincoln proved himself a flip-flopper.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2007, 04:26:21 PM »
"Abraham Lincoln proved himself a flip-flopper."

Hey, he was a politician, wasn't he?  That's what they DO for a living, flip their floppies.

It worked for Clinton, right?

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2007, 04:38:15 PM »
Quote from: Brad Johnson
 But we can't because the people who want us to be won't let the !@&$%! issue go!!!.

Of course not. Else, their race would no longer be an asset an they will have to be weaned off the subsidy tit. And a bountiful, ever-lactating tit it is.

Just look at all the hoopla Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton generated around the Duke "rape". The American Arafats...

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2007, 06:00:05 PM »
Born in Iowa & had ancestors fight in the Civil War on the side of the Union.  Even had one ancestor lose and arm and end up in Andersonville.  My ancestors were responsible for sending a goodly number of rebels to their reward.

That said, I don't care if folks wave the various flags used by the losers.  A lot more non-slave-owners fought & died under them than slave owners.

I also don't give a dead rat's hind end for the mewlings of the hyper-sensitive.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2007, 06:08:41 PM »

Quite honestly, I'm tired of the whole damn thing.  Tired of having it shoved in my face 24/7.  Tired of being browbeaten with how bad someone has it when they created the situation for themselves.  Tired of seeing people of any color, creed, or origin who've worked their entire lives towards a jobs or college placement goal only to lose it to people who's only qualification is their color, creed, or national origin.  Tired of hearing people who've never been personally wronged (but have personally benefitted from the situation) constantly point fingers and pitch a fit that people like me are the problem when all I want is to be blissfully colorblind, raceblind, and originblind.  But we can't because the people who want us to be won't let the !@&$%! issue go!!!.

Brad

Well said Mr. Johnson.  Well said.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2007, 06:22:41 PM »
I see that Mr. Johnson is in need of some time in reeducatio^H^H^H^H^H^H VACATION camp until he distresses and learns to think correte^H^H^H^H^H can relax a bit. grin

My feelings that flag, as I posted elsewhere on the 'Net.

It IS a part of OUR history as Americans, and while long vilified the root goals and cause of the Confederacy seeking to succeed from the Union was in line with the ideals of the founding of the this Nation. Slavery was NOT what motivated our Southern brothers, but economic freedom and self determination of the agrarian Southern States, free from oppression and exploitation by the industiral Northern States. Though identified as the banner of a defeated cause, in my view it has as much legitimacy as an American icon as the banner of an earlier struggle for the soul of this nation, the Gadsden Flag.

I 2nd jfruser's views on the hyper-sensitive.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2007, 03:31:05 AM »
When I was a little kid, around six-ish (1940), my grandparents still lived in town.  About two blocks from the old Confederate Veterans' Home on West Sixth Street in Austin.  My grandfather and I would sometimes walk down that way for his "evening constitutional".

There were still a few vets there.  One who could still get around and was compos mentis had been a young drummer boy with a Confederate unit.  About all I remember of a few comments was that he'd mostly been afraid but determined.  Some things never change...

My great-grandfather Witherspoon was with Hood's brigade, IIRC.  Apparently he stuck his head up at the wrong time and had a Minie ball put a dent in.  A silver plate was used in the repair work, according to my grandmother.  She recalled that he was okay but for the occasional late-night "flashback".  He'd get up in the middle of the night and go search around the house for Yankee intruders.  Again, some things never change...

The Witherspoon clan moved by wagon train from Waxahachie to Playa in the Texas panhandle around 1890, taking some four months to do so.  He ranched there.  One day his horse fell back on him and crushed his chest.  The horse got back home and my ggm spent two days searching for him.  He died not long after from pneumonia.

The Witherspoon "boys" worked as cowhands on the 3-million-acre XIT ranch.

Art

The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2007, 03:48:15 AM »
What is your point? 
That Lincoln did not set out to be the great emancipator he's been portrayed as,

Then perhaps you misunderstood what I was getting at.  I was not saying that Lincoln was a determined abolitionist, nor that there was actually a Yankee conspiracy to subject the South to the rule of barbarous Negros  shocked .  I was only saying that such ideas were common in the South at that time. 

Hugh Damright

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2007, 05:19:05 AM »
I reckon that the CSA Flag represents the same form of government which the US Constitution framed ... and I think that is what yankees hate so much.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2007, 09:48:06 AM »
Yessir.  That thur's one prickly yankee. 

I don't mean to be argumentative, but El Tejon's from Indiana - and as such (geographically speaking anyway) he's not quite a yankee.

Damn near as many hoosiers were "good ol' rebs" or "dirty traitors" (depending upon your viewpoint) as "yankees".

Ted Nugent, though, is a yankee. Outside of New England you don't get much more yankee than detroit area Mitcheegander.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2007, 08:44:21 PM »
Oh brother.  He's from north of the Mason Dixon Line and insults the antebellum South every chance he gets.  That's not Yankee?  I'm gonna go to sleep now. 

Hugh Damright

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2007, 09:03:36 PM »
I think El Tejon is what we call a "flaming yankee".

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2007, 09:12:36 PM »
Oh brother.  He's from north of the Mason Dixon Line and insults the antebellum South every chance he gets.  That's not Yankee?  I'm gonna go to sleep now. 

The antebellum south? Ha! Listen to what he says about his neighbors.

Maybe it's just a lawyer thing, but sometimes I wonder if he wouldn't be happier in Connecticut or the windy city burbs.

Prolly not. Just funnin ya el T Cheesy

P.S. I'm a hoosier with a New England yankee dad and a tennessee hillbilly ma, and had ancestors die on both sides. I think I'm pretty
Bill O'Reilly
"fair and balanced".
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2007, 02:24:13 AM »

How could I forget?  I'm gonna go move my pick-up into the yard, but first, my Pappy is from North Missouri (it's like Iowa South) and my Momma is from Swampeast (Southeast) Missouri/Arkansas/Mississippi.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2007, 08:51:35 PM »

How could I forget?  I'm gonna go move my pick-up into the yard, but first, my Pappy is from North Missouri (it's like Iowa South) and my Momma is from Swampeast (Southeast) Missouri/Arkansas/Mississippi.

Missouri, yeah. That's the other of the two states (heavily involved) that can't rightly be called either yankee or southron, IMHO.

Asuming you're a product of geography, whether you're one or the other in those two states is dependant upon prevailing attitudes at the neighborhood level sized geographical ideology.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2007, 02:57:24 AM »
All I know is, down in Dexter it's all flat farmland and they have Southern accents.  Up around Kirksville it's all flat farmland and they drink "pop."  Here in the Saint Louis megalopolis, it's all hills and folks talk like Midwesterners. 

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2007, 05:40:00 AM »
Just who is/is not considered a "Yankee" depends on where the considerer resides.

South
Anybody N of the Mason-Dixon is a Yankee.  If they are obnoxious, they are a damn yankee. 

North
Folks "back east" (read: northeast) are Yankees

Northeast Quadrant of USA
Folks up in NY  & ways north are yankees

NY on up to Maine
Only residents of NY are Yankees
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2007, 06:32:17 AM »
I think the only controversy is here at APS.
MSM has already forgotten about the Nuge sporting the shirt.
Rockers like to shock people, it's what they do.
I really like Uncle Ted but I wish he had not been sporting the shirt.
I am willing to bet though that he is not a racist at all.
When I was a left wing anarchist in the hotbed of NY
socialism, I noticed that the working class kids with
Lynyrd Skynyrd Confederate Flag shirts had more black friends
then the white rad/lib kids protesting them.
Seemed ironic that the ones who professed the most hate
for the Confederate Flag didn't have any black friends.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."