Author Topic: Spotify, Joe Rogan, Neil Young  (Read 3386 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Spotify, Joe Rogan, Neil Young
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2022, 11:47:11 AM »
And they were trashing Van Morrison last year too...

https://youtu.be/dNt4NIQ7FTA

https://youtu.be/yUOWS7arfw4

Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2022, 01:18:23 PM »
Y'all need to get better at 1) never ever believe the story as presented, especially if it flatters your biases and 2) follow the money.

Neil Young is trying to launch his own streaming service because he's not happy about the tiny commissions Spotify pay him. And Spotify is obviously his biggest competitor. And if you want to launch your own streaming platform, it's bad marketing to stay on Spotify because people will just keep listening to you on Spotify and not pay for another subscription to listen to something that they are already paying to listen to on Spotify. He has to exit Spotify, just like Disney pulled all their content from Netflix when they launched Disney+. This is entirely about him trying to exit Spotify in a way that 0) results in media attention, good or bad doesn't matter, which has succeeded thanks to drones propagating the story, including here 1) doesn't make him look simply jealous of more successful acts like JRE which he probably is 2) doesn't make him look greedy for thinking he merits higher commissions than everyone else, instead he has a self-righteous smokescreen to exit Spotify while covering up to real reason for leaving (greed/capitalism) 3) makes Spotify look bad to some people for hosting and making money off misinformation 4) will help him extract some Spotify content providers to his platform while hopefully avoiding them questioning why they should go on his platform, for which the real reason it exists at all is so that Niel Young can scrape their commissions instead of Spotify.

It's a perfectly strategic move; has nothing to do with any sincere belief.

Got any links? All I found with "Neil Young launching streaming service" was a Wall Street Journal article from three years ago, and then that he has now made a deal for his own channel on Sirius post the spotify split.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=neil+young+launching+streaming+service&atb=v1-1&ia=web
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2022, 02:09:16 PM »
Y'all need to get better at 1) never ever believe the story as presented, especially if it flatters your biases and 2) follow the money.

Neil Young is trying to launch his own streaming service because he's not happy about the tiny commissions Spotify pay him. And Spotify is obviously his biggest competitor. And if you want to launch your own streaming platform, it's bad marketing to stay on Spotify because people will just keep listening to you on Spotify and not pay for another subscription to listen to something that they are already paying to listen to on Spotify. He has to exit Spotify, just like Disney pulled all their content from Netflix when they launched Disney+. This is entirely about him trying to exit Spotify in a way that 0) results in media attention, good or bad doesn't matter, which has succeeded thanks to drones propagating the story, including here 1) doesn't make him look simply jealous of more successful acts like JRE which he probably is 2) doesn't make him look greedy for thinking he merits higher commissions than everyone else, instead he has a self-righteous smokescreen to exit Spotify while covering up to real reason for leaving (greed/capitalism) 3) makes Spotify look bad to some people for hosting and making money off misinformation 4) will help him extract some Spotify content providers to his platform while hopefully avoiding them questioning why they should go on his platform, for which the real reason it exists at all is so that Niel Young can scrape their commissions instead of Spotify.

It's a perfectly strategic move; has nothing to do with any sincere belief.

Well there it is.  Good post.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2022, 03:27:02 PM »
Got any links? All I found with "Neil Young launching streaming service" was a Wall Street Journal article from three years ago, and then that he has now made a deal for his own channel on Sirius post the spotify split.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=neil+young+launching+streaming+service&atb=v1-1&ia=web

I looked as well, but it's going to be hard to find with the current news headlines clogging search engines.

I honestly don't think it's far fetched that this is more to do with getting content back than making some point.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2022, 03:58:16 PM »

I looked as well, but it's going to be hard to find with the current news headlines clogging search engines.

I honestly don't think it's far fetched that this is more to do with getting content back than making some point.

Well, I guess my issue is - no offense to zahc - that he is arguing the motive, not the act. The act is attempted censorship. Whether the motive is misguided politics or the motive is making money (I would argue that money is the worse motive) is somewhat irrelevant. He attempted to censor someone, which harms both that person and the public, and is an attack on a basic right.

Even if he was pulling  a Smollett, he caused other people to jump on his bandwagon and promote even more censorship. It's not legally criminal, but it's certainly morally criminal. Especially for an "artist" that built his name on free speech.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2022, 05:25:04 PM »
Young is a nobody,  I don't see any attempt by him at yet another streaming service panning out.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2022, 05:29:33 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2022, 11:33:08 AM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2022, 12:57:33 PM »
Oh, look -- another 60s flower child thinks she's still relevant:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/joni-mitchell-neil-young-spotify-protest/

:yawn:

Joni Mitchell was "big-ish" in my era, but she wasn't nearly as popular or as well-known as Joan Baez or Judy Collins. Haven't heard anything about her or thought about her for (probably literally) decades.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 06:03:12 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2022, 02:06:45 PM »
:yawn:

Joni Mitchell was "big-ish" in my era, but she wasn't nearly as popular or as well-known as Joan Baez or Judy Collins. Haven't heard anything about her or though about her for (probably literally) decades.

A name that pops up, every once in a while.  With not much mental content attached to it in my case.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2022, 05:07:04 PM »
Neil Young- vocal talent equal to Bob Dylan, Janis Joplin, Johnny Cash, and just about any rapper.  [barf]

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2022, 05:24:57 PM »
  that crowd of old hippies are a strange lot, I am good friends with an ex GF of Dylan, and a close friend of the late Tom Petty.
 All her friends are robotic supporters of whatever the woke voices are saying that day.
   They all virtue signal the same thing in order to show they belong to the in crowd.
 I thought it was awesome that Joe Rogan prevailed, even though I never listen/watch his stuff.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2022, 07:27:55 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2022, 07:30:34 PM »
I thought it was awesome that Joe Rogan prevailed, even though I never listen/watch his stuff.

Same here. It's not over yet, though. Those who resist the woke often give in, if the fascists keep pressing the issue.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2022, 09:27:33 PM »
Oh, look -- another 60s flower child thinks she's still relevant:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/joni-mitchell-neil-young-spotify-protest/

Now she can go help that other retard promote his new streaming service  :P

"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2022, 07:48:41 AM »
Same here. It's not over yet, though. Those who resist the woke often give in, if the fascists keep pressing the issue.

From what I've read, there are quite a few woke facists leaving Spotify.  Whether it will be enough to move Spotify management, I don't know.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2022, 10:57:25 AM »
 it could be that Young wanted to start his own streaming service, but i doubt it - maybe his wife wants to, she's probably more ambitious along business lines than he is.
 Neil Young is a true believer of woke propaganda.... I saw a video while looking up his music a few yrs back, at a concert he was ranting like a crazy homeless guy about some woke cause Du Jour, most of those dinosaur "rockstars" are - they became wealthy and drugged in their late teens and early 20's and never were told "no" and everyone tells them they're a genius.
  We here ( for instance ) are constantly challenged on our assertions and learn from the questions and rebuttals -   dinosaur "rockstars" never had to
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2022, 09:07:20 AM »
I guess Joe Rogan "semi-apologized" to the public? It wasn't that bad from the "kneel down" perspective. He said he would try to have two different viewpoints when doing controversial subjects. I suppose that's fine.

Spotify though, is apparently going to start a twitter-like "misinformation database" and post warnings for podcasts relating non-Fauci approved information.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2022, 04:35:09 PM »
These people are morons. "You have a first amendment right except for A,B,C,D,E..." And talk about pushing misinformation - their chart only says "unvaccinated" and "vaccinated". No mention, once again, of natural immunity, which is certainly not included in their "unvaccinated" numbers.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1488192209086255121

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2022, 04:40:26 PM »

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2022, 04:55:55 PM »
If they were smart, they'd never question authority.
Blog under construction

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2022, 05:34:39 PM »

« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 05:34:46 PM by bedlamite »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2022, 07:40:51 AM »
From "The View":

"I mean I don't know that he can be reformed," ABC’s "The View" co-host Joy Behar said.

Meanwhile, on that show, they just a few days ago denied the holocaust.

So far, it has been mostly people I never heard of or people that I thought were dead leaving Spotify. I read this morning though, that Taylor Swift, Madonna, and a few other bigger names are looking to leave because Rogan's apology wasn't good enough. Another reason not to bend your knee and apologize to these asswipes.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2022, 10:31:29 AM »
Neil and Joanie aren't exactly clean, as it is now coming out...

https://www.foxnews.com/media/neil-young-joni-mitchell-history-spotify-joe-rogan
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2022, 12:03:06 PM »
Rogan should know by now that when you're called out by the Woke, apologizing is deadly. Even if you've done something that's actually wrong, apologizing to the fascists just legitimizes them. The latter is nearly always worse than what you're being criticized for.

And, no, I haven't Godwinned anything. https://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=66072.new#new
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife