Author Topic: What if I told you Jar Jar Binks was not who he says he is...  (Read 3545 times)

freakazoid

• friend
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: What if I told you Jar Jar Binks was not who he says he is...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 07:10:44 PM »
Mind blown!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 07:18:17 PM »
Wishful thinking from the folks that don't want to admit how messed up the prequels were.

Jar jar was the ewok of the first three films. Trying to make the story more kid friendly.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 07:45:57 PM »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 08:01:57 PM »
I support this. It helps make the prequels palatable to me. Of course the whole Anakin as a child genius thing still sucks as does the fact that he made C-3P0 but it raises the entertainment value enough that I would be willing to watch them again with this new brain-filter in place. 
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 08:17:12 PM »
The issues with Anakin as child genius (and his immaculate conception), and the age difference between him and Amadala, were always the big issues for me. Jar Jar was just an... irritation.

This theory is plausable. But it doesn't fix the actual major problems with the prequels for me.

Once read a piece where someone suggested the "proper sequence" to watch the movies. Start with Ep4, then 5, 2, 3, 6. Set the stage with 4, big reveal on Vader in 5, backstory on Vader's Fall in 2 and 3, wrapup in 6. No mention of 1
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 08:20:03 PM »
I just rewatched seasons 5 and 6 of The Clone Wars, and am keeping up with Rebels.

Both are better entertainment, more consistent, and develop the jedi/sith mythos better than the first three movies.  Kinda sad really that Cartoon Network had to save the universe.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 08:24:46 PM »
I like it.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 08:43:47 PM »
Once read a piece where someone suggested the "proper sequence" to watch the movies. Start with Ep4, then 5, 2, 3, 6. Set the stage with 4, big reveal on Vader in 5, backstory on Vader's Fall in 2 and 3, wrapup in 6. No mention of 1

Machete order works.

http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2011/11/11/the-star-wars-saga-suggested-viewing-order/
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 08:51:50 PM »
Possible, but nah... he's still an annoying alien rastafarian Goofy.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 09:51:42 PM »
Possible, but nah... he's still an annoying alien rastafarian Goofy.

Brad

Yeah, but if he was really the evil mastermind behind the whole thing than you could really love to hate him. The way things are now, he's just annoying with no reason to be annoying.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 10:00:50 PM »
I will more than likely see 7. That said, I am very pissed that JJ and Disney decided to just erase several years of great, Lucas approved, novels that stretch from ROTJ to 50 years out. The best Big Bad they could have used was Grand Admiral Thrawn, from Timothy Zahn's "Heir to the Empire" trilogy.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2015, 10:07:07 PM »
I will more than likely see 7. That said, I am very pissed that JJ and Disney decided to just erase several years of great, Lucas approved, novels that stretch from ROTJ to 50 years out. The best Big Bad they could have used was Grand Admiral Thrawn, from Timothy Zahn's "Heir to the Empire" trilogy.

Damn! Straight!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2015, 10:10:23 PM »
Yeah, I really liked the extended universe stuff. I never even got close to reading it all or even knowing how much of it there was but what I did read was great.

I've never ranked my favorite fictional universes but Star Wars would certainly be in the top three.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2015, 11:13:56 PM »
Yeah, I really liked the extended universe stuff. I never even got close to reading it all or even knowing how much of it there was but what I did read was great.

I've never ranked my favorite fictional universes but Star Wars would certainly be in the top three.

Warren. In the SW universe, go forth and read any novel by Timothy Zahn. Starting with "Heir to the Empire" series. It sets up all subsequent books by him and others. And he is a damned good author.

Read an interview with him years ago stating he was shown the final 3 outlines, movies, from Lucas detailing from ROTJ onward. And was approved by the man himself to use said info.

If Disney would have followed his outline, hell, you'd have enough plots, sub plots and offshoots to fuel a dozen movies. All connected. Plus. Grand Admiral Thrawn was a balls dragging the ground picking up rocks as he walks bad ass!!
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2015, 11:18:59 PM »
I read those, they are great. Thrawn is awesome. His ability to understand a planet's tactics by understanding their art was a great concept.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 12:13:55 AM by Warren »

grampster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2015, 11:49:37 PM »
Triple agent.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2015, 03:47:45 AM »
The issues with Anakin as child genius (and his immaculate conception), and the age difference between him and Amadala, were always the big issues for me.

Why would those be issues?

I've only read one extended univers novel, don't remember which one though. I also remember reading some books that center around some kids and their dad.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2015, 09:02:52 PM »
First problem: the immaculate conception. This comes right after the whole "mitichlorian" thing for the basis of the force. Basically, it felt like Lucas was backpedaling off religion by changing the force from a mystical power to a disease. Then he reverses and pops in a virgin birth. It... was jarring

Anakin as child genius, I could deal with on it's own

As for the age difference: it was also jarring. Most women would remember the small child they knew, and think of that person whenever looking at the adult...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2015, 09:20:41 PM »
Lucas was never a craftsman of fiction. He put, bolted, together a pastiche of pulp tropes he loved into an epic space opera. It was always big picture with him, the details didn't really matter beyond needing them to propel the characters along their arcs in the epic.

So if something didn't make sense after thinking about for awhile, well too bad. The details served the epic. The epic didn't serve the details.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2015, 05:18:06 AM »
Also worth remembering, that the earlier movies had professional crafters of fiction helping Lucas put the story together.

As he got bigger, and more able to tell off the studio's helpers, the movies got worse. Lucas is a good idea man, but needs help with the scripts and details.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2015, 09:29:00 AM »
First problem: the immaculate conception. This comes right after the whole "mitichlorian" thing for the basis of the force. Basically, it felt like Lucas was backpedaling off religion by changing the force from a mystical power to a disease. Then he reverses and pops in a virgin birth. It... was jarring

Anakin as child genius, I could deal with on it's own

As for the age difference: it was also jarring. Most women would remember the small child they knew, and think of that person whenever looking at the adult...
I thought the young Anakin was a bad compromise with story vs casting.  He should have been older in the first movie I think.  If he was 11 or 12 and Padme was 16, it wouldn't be quite so far apart.  Instead they cast a kid that looks 7.  
Also, in the movie they kept saying Anakin was too old to start training, but the kid they cast looked no older than the kids they were training. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2015, 09:35:08 AM »
I read the Thrawn trilogy.  Good books, but I bet they would just screw it up. 

Also, in some of the books they mentioned that Anakin had some sort of gift with the Force that he could understand/repair electronics. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2015, 09:53:17 AM »
Also worth remembering, that the earlier movies had professional crafters of fiction helping Lucas put the story together.

As he got bigger, and more able to tell off the studio's helpers, the movies got worse. Lucas is a good idea man, but needs help with the scripts and details.

Yeah, I'm not buying the super amazing subplot for Jar Jar.

I'll go with Occam's Razor that Lucas, unimpeded, is a terrible story-teller.

That is, unless the author has some explanation for The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2015, 11:06:18 AM »
Yeah, I'm not buying the super amazing subplot for Jar Jar.

I'll go with Occam's Razor that Lucas, unimpeded, is a terrible story-teller.

That is, unless the author has some explanation for The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
Jar Jar == Shia LaBeouf

=D