Author Topic: This Could Get Me to Vote For McCain  (Read 23515 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: This Could Get Me to Vote For McCain
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2008, 06:00:04 AM »
Of course the next President will be either Republican or Democrat. I've voted Republican all my life, even when I was voting "the lesser evil". This is the first National election where I am questioning my prior methods. In the last California Governor election, I voted McClintock knowing he couldn't win over Arnold. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I will either vote for McCain or I'll write in someone not on the ballot.

At this point I don't know which way I'll go until sometime in November. Part of me wants to slow the sinking and vote for McCain, part of me wants to "turn the switch", let Obama win and let the country go to hell in a handbasket for four years in hopes voters will swing well to the right the next time around. Either way, I figure it's my vote to do with as I wish.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2008, 06:04:56 AM »
At this point I don't know which way I'll go until sometime in November. Part of me wants to slow the sinking and vote for McCain, part of me wants to "turn the switch", let Obama win and let the country go to hell in a handbasket for four years in hopes voters will swing well to the right the next time around. Either way, I figure it's my vote to do with as I wish.

Heller was 5-4. Obama will appoint hardcore lefties to the Supreme Court.

Obama will work with Pelosi and the rest to bring about national gun registration, a permanent AWB, and a national ban on concealed carry.

Think about it.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 06:38:59 AM »
I am thinking about it -- it's one of the many issues I'm weighing.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 07:02:14 AM »
If you think there will be some sunshine on the other side of an Obama Presidency, I think you are wrong.  Any leeway on the other side of Obama will be dedicated to undoing what he/they did.  There won't be any positive outcome. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2008, 07:18:05 AM »
If you think there will be some sunshine on the other side of an Obama Presidency, I think you are wrong.

Well, there was a lot of sunshine on the other side of the Carter Presidency....

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2008, 08:41:14 AM »
If you think there will be some sunshine on the other side of an Obama Presidency, I think you are wrong.

Well, there was a lot of sunshine on the other side of the Carter Presidency....

The world is a lot more dangerous now. Iran with a nuclear ICBM is not something I want Obama in office to not deal with.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2008, 09:03:30 AM »

Heller was 5-4. Obama will appoint hardcore lefties to the Supreme Court.
The only reason to hope Obama wins is that he'll screw things up so badly he - and a LOT of Dems - will get the boot in 4 years and we'll get another Reagan.

ARE there any Reagans in the GOP?

Would the RINO-infested GOP ever tolerate another Reagan?

Would a GOP-dominated legislature operate as it did with Newt, or go back to being Democrat Lite as it was during the first six years of W's presidency?

McCain may - operative word, may - appoint moderate justices in the Anthony Kennedy mold. Not what we'd want, but McCain won't appoint anyone who'd would vote to overturn McCain-Feingold, and even another Anthony Kennedy would be a net gain if he replaced Souter, Ginsberg, Stevens, or Breyer.

Barack Hussein Obama would nominate justices that make Ginsberg look like Ann Coulter. ( And if that was literal as well as political . . . shocked  )

That damage would not be easily repaired, and could last for decades.

Either way, we are so screwed . . .  sad
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2008, 12:40:47 PM »
ARE there any Reagans in the GOP?

Would the RINO-infested GOP ever tolerate another Reagan?

Would a GOP-dominated legislature operate as it did with Newt, or go back to being Democrat Lite as it was during the first six years of W's presidency?
One the first question, Bobby Jindal is looking rather promising.  Time will tell though.

On the second question, yes, but only if they think it will help their re-election chances/flow of campaign money. 

On the third point, well, there's no telling.  But one would think that the former would be more likely with a Reganesque POTUS. 
Formerly sumpnz

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2008, 02:41:18 PM »
we are so screwed

So true ...   angry
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2008, 02:47:13 PM »

I couldn't have put it better myself.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2008, 08:04:24 PM »

I couldn't have put it better myself.

America is being incredibly stupid right now, like a bratty kid screaming that they want to eat only candy.

While it's tempting to let them eat the candy so they become violently ill, thus learning a lesson, in this case, the candy could poison and kill them.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2008, 02:50:08 AM »
Jeez, the favored nominees--Romney, whats-his-face from Pennsylvania--how boring can these guys get?  Dull and duller.

Romney has two good points; 1. He knows economics,
                                            2. He's more conservative, and McCain *seems* willing to listen some... undecided

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2008, 01:47:59 PM »
It's like going to a restaurant and ordering something that isn't on the menu.  It doesn't really matter what you truly want.  You're either going to get something that's on the menu, or nothing.  In the case of the Presidential election, you're either going to get McCain or Obama.  Asking for Ron Paul or anyone else voids your request.  Either pick the one you like best(or hate least) or don't pick at all.  But the illusion that asking for something not offered will get you anywhere is absurd.

Either order something that's on the menu or the libs will order for you.  And you won't like what they do.

This argument was torn apart in 1996.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

2swap

• friend
  • : 4 5 ;
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2008, 01:59:46 PM »
It's like going to a restaurant and ordering something that isn't on the menu.  It doesn't really matter what you truly want.  You're either going to get something that's on the menu, or nothing.  In the case of the Presidential election, you're either going to get McCain or Obama.  Asking for Ron Paul or anyone else voids your request.  Either pick the one you like best(or hate least) or don't pick at all.  But the illusion that asking for something not offered will get you anywhere is absurd.

Either order something that's on the menu or the libs will order for you.  And you won't like what they do.

You bring this argument without turning it into a flaming speech about why we need Instant Runoff Voting? I would have thought that American fans of 'other' candidates would campaign for that...
: spin
  92 47 124 45 45 58 emit dup emit emit
  begin 8 emit dup emit swap 2swap key? until ;

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2008, 03:39:08 PM »
two for one   that article displays perfectly the "nothing is better than me not getting my way " mindset. folks who buy into to that don't see anything wrong with that thankfully they couldn't muster 10% at gunpoint and likely a tiny fraction of that
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2008, 03:47:51 PM »
two for one   that article displays perfectly the "nothing is better than me not getting my way " mindset. folks who buy into to that don't see anything wrong with that thankfully they couldn't muster 10% at gunpoint and likely a tiny fraction of that

"nothing is better than me not getting my way"?

Doesn't that mean WANTING to not get your way?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

• friends
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2008, 04:07:20 PM »
only if your married.    it can mean that you assess positions and probabilities and choose one that has some chance of sucess while attaining as many of your goals as possible. its a move upward from the i'll hold my breath till i turn blue and die philosophy that i once clung to
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2008, 04:16:37 PM »
Oh, I'm rooting for McCain in this one, don't worry.

I just don't think it's a good idea in general to let one party think they 'own' your vote just because the other guys are worse.

They need to be aware that if they push out someone who's REALLY bad, you might just say 'screw it' and sit one out or make a protest vote.

• friends
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2008, 04:26:21 PM »
you know if mccain runs with lieberman and wins that would send the message to both sides

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2008, 04:29:15 PM »
you know if mccain runs with lieberman and wins that would send the message to both sides

Which message is that?

• friends
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2008, 04:30:58 PM »
that folks ain't happy

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2008, 04:39:25 PM »
that folks ain't happy

How would McCain running with Liberman and winning send the message that folks aren't happy with McCain?

• friends
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2008, 05:00:17 PM »
that folks ain't happy with what the 2 party system sends down the pipe. mccain is old enough to tell the r's to take a hike and the d's ditched lieberman. we could use another menu choice too bad the libs seem unable to be it

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2008, 05:31:08 PM »
that folks ain't happy with what the 2 party system sends down the pipe. mccain is old enough to tell the r's to take a hike and the d's ditched lieberman. we could use another menu choice too bad the libs seem unable to be it

McCain is the product of the 2-party system.

• friends
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2008, 05:33:34 PM »
hes always been like a red headed stepchild. and should lieberman be his pick that will be moreso than ever. and a win is better than some "moral statement " loss