Author Topic: This Could Get Me to Vote For McCain  (Read 23518 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: This Could Get Me to Vote For McCain
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2008, 05:36:04 PM »
hes always been like a red headed stepchild. and should lieberman be his pick that will be moreso than ever. and a win is better than some "moral statement " loss

Maybe.

But the only thing McCain-Lieberman winning would mean to the GOP leadership will be 'Look, we can even run an actual Democrat for office and the voters will STILL go for it!'
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2008, 05:37:01 PM »
It's like going to a restaurant and ordering something that isn't on the menu.  It doesn't really matter what you truly want.  You're either going to get something that's on the menu, or nothing.  In the case of the Presidential election, you're either going to get McCain or Obama.  Asking for Ron Paul or anyone else voids your request.  Either pick the one you like best(or hate least) or don't pick at all.  But the illusion that asking for something not offered will get you anywhere is absurd.

Either order something that's on the menu or the libs will order for you.  And you won't like what they do.

This argument was torn apart in 1996.
If buying a used rifle was anything at all like voting for a President, then the author might have a point.

taurusowner

« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2008, 06:34:07 PM »
How was the argument torn apart in 96?  Did someone other than a Republican or Democrat win?

agricola

• friend
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2008, 03:08:20 AM »
Fox are saying its not Pawlenty, it might not be Romney and that there is a groundswell of support for Palin. 
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

agricola

• friend
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2008, 03:17:19 AM »
Fox now saying its definately not Romney, apparently he is still in Massehoweveritsspelt.  If this turns out to be Lieberman the disappointment will be immense.
"Make peace, you fools"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2008, 03:28:26 AM »
How was the argument torn apart in 96?  Did someone other than a Republican or Democrat win?

By the author explaining why people who vote for other candidates are not stupid or insane.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

agricola

• friend
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2008, 03:47:49 AM »
Apologies for the commentary, but Fox are pretty much exclusively talking about Palin right now.
"Make peace, you fools"

wacki

• friend
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2008, 04:35:04 AM »
Well it looks like the OP will be voting for McCain.  Maybe this will attract the disenfranchised Clinton supporters.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2008, 05:00:35 AM »
If there was any doubt left, please refer to Obama's "AK-47" mention in his acceptance speech.

Umber

« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2008, 05:06:58 AM »
Please let it be Palin.  Please, please!!!!

PLEASE.

Umber

agricola

• friend
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2008, 05:29:03 AM »
Fox claiming Republican sources have confirmed its Palin.

"Make peace, you fools"

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2008, 05:31:09 AM »
Sources are saying a private jet from Alaska landed in Butler County this morning, which is just outside of Dayton...

agricola

• friend
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2008, 05:35:41 AM »
Fox confirm its Palin.

"Make peace, you fools"

Umber

« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2008, 05:38:44 AM »
Palin!!!!!

Thank you God!!!!

HOO-FREAKIN-RAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel like I just dodged a bullet somehow. grin

Umber laugh

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2008, 06:02:13 AM »
So is this enough to turn the tide?

Can it turn the disinfranchised Hillary supporters, especially of the curvy members of our society?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2008, 07:42:39 AM »
Definitely swaying me. If McCain were to kick the bucket while in office, I'm pretty confident I'd be comfortable with her choices for say, a Supreme Court Justice.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2008, 08:39:48 AM »
Palin just doubled McCain's chances of getting through the GOP convention in one piece...not to mention winning the general election....

President Palin has a nice ring to it.....  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

neviander

« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2008, 11:11:08 AM »
This argument was torn apart in 1996.
Concerning the link that took me to; What a pathetic equation.

You cannot equate a philosophical perspective within a political context to something tangible, like bullets.  You can measure the bullet, irrefutably.  If it's out of spec, well, it's a different bullet, but as long as the powder pushes it out the barrel, a heart shot will kill the deer, whether it be a .270, 30-06, or 12 ga. slug; to choose nothing over what you wanted is selfish, either round will put meat on the table.  The number of variables one has to consider when choosing what round they need to take down a deer, compared with which values they believe a political candidate will:  destroy, protect, or ignore are WORLDS apart.

As far as Obama and McCain go, I would say McCain's heart shot would be a lot more effective than Obama waltzing up to the deer, trying to convince it to die...for the greater good.  While the 3rd and 4th party candidates are either asleep in their tent, or lost in the woods.

I believe the Palin VP announcement is a HUGE shot in the arm for the McCain campaign. 

This really is a referendum on Obama.  The fact that the next president may appoint up to 3 supreme court justices, I believe, should weigh heavy on all of our hearts.
Rant Over

Hey, to all fellow THR members....first post here on APS.  Cheesy
"be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2008, 11:13:06 AM »
Fox confirm its Palin.

Forget I said anything.

YAY!!!!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2008, 11:18:16 AM »
The fact that the next president may appoint up to 3 supreme court justices, I believe, should weigh heavy on all of our hearts.

Something to keep in mind when voting for congress.  Remember that the Senate has to give it's advice and consent on SC judges.  We got Roberts and Alieto with an (R) controlled senate.  We got Kennedy and O'Conner with a (D) controlled senate.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

neviander

« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2008, 11:29:51 AM »
Something to keep in mind when voting for congress.  Remember that the Senate has to give it's advice and consent on SC judges.  We got Roberts and Alieto with an (R) controlled senate.  We got Kennedy and O'Conner with a (D) controlled senate.
True, true.
"be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2008, 11:51:38 AM »
The fact that the next president may appoint up to 3 supreme court justices, I believe, should weigh heavy on all of our hearts.

Considering that Stevens (due to age) and Ginsberg (due to health) are widely thought to be the most likely to die/retire next that would still be a net improvement either way.  O'Conner and Kennedy are or were swing votes which means that we'd have at least some chance of a reasonable vote from justices like them.  As opposed to the guaranteed bad votes from Stevens and Ginsberg.
Formerly sumpnz

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2008, 11:57:59 AM »

Considering that Stevens (due to age) and Ginsberg (due to health) are widely thought to be the most likely to die/retire next that would still be a net improvement either way.  O'Conner and Kennedy are or were swing votes which means that we'd have at least some chance of a reasonable vote from justices like them.  As opposed to the guaranteed bad votes from Stevens and Ginsberg.

I'd still rather have a couple of Scalia's, Thomas', Roberts' or Aleito's, then a pair of Kennedy's or O'Conner's.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2008, 09:32:10 PM »
I was seriously thinking about staying home this election but, this announcement has made me change my mind. grin
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

BigStick

« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2008, 12:10:40 PM »
I briefly flirted with the possibility of not voting for McCain. But it didn't take me too long to eliminate that option. The stakes are just too high.

The choice of Palin as VP actually got me a little excited because of the possibility that she might be McCain's successor and hopefully have a positive influence on McCain's decisions in the mean time. I think Palin may change the mind's of some of the conservatives who have vowed to never vote for McCain. However, I doubt she will pick up many votes from the Hillary crowd. Palin is a pro-life conservative. Why would a Hillary supporter want to support her? I suppose there are some moderates in the Hillary crowd who might like her.