Author Topic: Here it comes....  (Read 16776 times)

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Re: Here it comes....
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 10:53:44 AM »
We all need to watch this very carefully. "One of their own" was a victim. Never mind the other victims. We can't trust republicans to no side it on some sort if gun ccontrol. We need to write, email, fax and if possible, go visit our critters. We need to let them know that new gun bans will not slove anything. We need to let house members know they could be facing stiff election challenges in 2 years If they jump on the "Ban" wagon.

Some of the statements coming from republicans are disturbing me. This is not just an attack on the 2A, it is also a full force attack on free speech. Our political class will be using this to further cement the divide between them and us. This will not just blow over, IMO. Some jacked up legislation will come of this.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 11:42:45 AM by Battle Monkey of Zardoz »
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2011, 11:51:26 AM »
Anyone who thinks they're going to stop at semi-automatics, or normal-cap magazines, is feeling way too comfortable.  This hasn't been the pattern worldwide.  The goal is plenary disarmament, and that will include knives, clubs, axes, icepicks, and fingernails before they're done--unless they are resisted forcefully.  Subverting any right to self-defense is the ultimate aim.  Our Anglophone allies abroad have already made the deal with the Devil, you know.

Everyone on this board knew the assault on the 1A and 2A was inevitable; it was only a question of when, of what the occasion for the attempt at suppression would be.  Well, it's here.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2011, 12:07:45 PM »
a prohibition ... on magazines that feed more than 10 rounds at a time.

Good idea!  Semi-autos can only chamber and fire one round at a time.

Feeding ten rounds at a time would cause one heck of a jam  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2011, 12:25:11 PM »
Everyone on this board knew the assault on the 1A and 2A was inevitable; it was only a question of when, of what the occasion for the attempt at suppression would be.  Well, it's here.

Yes it is here. What will happen?  Who knows?  I just have a bad feeling about this. Our critters have never really listened to what we want. The AWB was a direct knee jerk reaction from the Shootings in CO. We all know that when the Republicans took back congress in 94, they could have repealed the AWB. In the years that the Republicans held a majority in congress and had the white house, not one pro gun bill made it's way to becoming law. Save for the LEO nationwide carry (that us gun owners were hoodwinked to help with nothing in return). This will get nasty, fast. Real fast.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2011, 12:40:15 PM »
AWB in effect 09/13/94 - Columbine shootings 04/19/99.

Stockton, CA, Maybe?  Luby's in Killeen?  It makes bugger-all difference, but facts matter. 
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2011, 12:51:26 PM »
You are correct. Got my facts wrong on dates.

Fact remains, republicans did nothing.

Abraham Lincoln

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2011, 12:54:16 PM »
Exactly how many normal-cap magazines were:
1. Ordered?
2. Back-ordered?
3. Manufactured?
4. Manufacturers put in raw materials purchase order for from their suppliers?

In September 2004?

And in the last 7 years, after having our rights violated for 10 years and seeing the economic microcosm of the FOPA and machine guns manifest itself in properly designed magazines, how many people have augmented the mag supply in civvie hands to what degree?

I know I've bought near fifty mags for various platforms (AR, M14, XD, CZ, Glock, Marlin 795) that exceed the old ban's limitations.  Maybe even close to 100 mags.

Any legislation that even WHISPERS mag restrictions that so much as picks up an R-cosponsor will have me dropping a few hundred to a thousand bucks on plastic to further augment my mag situation.  I'd probably double my mag situation, and even buy a reasonable load-out for any guns I'm even day-dreaming of buying, let alone actually own.

We all need to watch this very carefully. "One of their own" was a victim. Never mind the other victims. We can't trust republicans to no side it on some sort if gun ccontrol. We need to write, email, fax and if possible, go visit our critters. We need to let them know that new gun bans will not slove anything. We need to let house members know they could be facing stiff election challenges in 2 years If they jump on the "Ban" wagon.

Some of the statements coming from republicans are disturbing me. This is not just an attack on the 2A, it is also a full force attack on free speech. Our political class will be using this to further cement the divide between them and us. This will not just blow over, IMO. Some jacked up legislation will come of this.

BMOZ is 100% spot-on.  They don't care about murder.  They care about their own lives, and their own power.  They also propose assaults on the 1A, as well as the 2A.

They're morally bankrupt cowards.

They're perfectly happy to attempt to strip us of speech and defense.  They truly do not care.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2011, 01:03:08 PM »
And guns and ammo had just gotten back to reasonable prices.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2011, 01:03:36 PM »
I don't currently own any high cap stuff, but now I'm tempted to buy some high cap mags jic.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2011, 01:05:13 PM »

BMOZ is 100% spot-on.  They don't care about murder.  They care about their own lives, and their own power.  They also propose assaults on the 1A, as well as the 2A.

They're morally bankrupt cowards.

They're perfectly happy to attempt to strip us of speech and defense.  They truly do not care.

Interesting segue to this article. Note how they need budget increases to accomplish their goals.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/01/11/lawmakers-talk-gun-control-start-packing-heat/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2011, 01:15:38 PM »
Interesting segue to this article. Note how they need budget increases to accomplish their goals.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/01/11/lawmakers-talk-gun-control-start-packing-heat/

They don't need professional "Secret Service" style security to protect themselves.

This guy MIGHT have been forestalled by the resources available to the SS, but Representatives and Senators are supposed to be more approachable and accountable than the President.

(Although I'd argue that the President should also be as approachable as the House/Senate...)

If Giffords staffers had CCW permits, along with her, and actually carried with the intent of protecting themselves and their loved ones, they would have reacted instantly when the guy made motion to produce his Glock.

ONE STAFFER WITH A .38 DERRINGER COULD HAVE STOPPED THIS.

I wish to God that people would TAKE RESPONSIBILITY for their own protection, instead of constantly trampling all over the rest of us. :'(
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2011, 01:29:35 PM »
While a new capacity limit is an obvious attack angle, I'm more worried about increased purchase restrictions, based on comments about the inadequacy of current NICS/background checks. Imagine a DHS-administered screening requirement authorized administratively under Obamacare.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2011, 02:02:21 PM »
Imagine a DHS-administered screening requirement authorized administratively under Obamacare.

Or a DHS Check, administered by the TSA.

I am a strong supporter of 2A rights, and still wanting some restrictions we deal with now to go bye bye. But what is scaring me the most is the attack on free speech. That is chilling. They are both intertwined, but with speech regulations, they can twist it so much that whoever is tasked with defining what is extreme speech would be King.

Abraham Lincoln

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2011, 03:09:17 PM »

Jessie Jackson Jr. His stance makes me laugh. He wants more tax dollars for protection, to move offices to safer places, making the divide greater between the political class and the people. He can have his extra dollars, just trim it off the entitlement programs he is so fond of.

This will not end good. The 1st and the 2nd amendment will take severe hits before this is over.

Abraham Lincoln

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2011, 04:42:42 PM »
Some of the congress critters are crapping their pants over their safety. 

Dan Burton Wants a Plexiglas Bubble surrounding congress: 

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20028139-503544.html

Peter King wants to outlaw weapons within 1,000 feet of representatives. 

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/01/11/5814091-ny-republican-wants-to-outlaw-guns-near-officials-judges
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2011, 04:51:24 PM »
And of course it had to be Republicans to be first to jump on that bandwagon. What an embarrassment. If we encase them in Plexiglas, do we have to let them out?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2011, 05:06:31 PM »
Better idea, make a law outlawing all representatives within 1000' of congress.

This is a great week for congresscritters to follow that wise old adage: Don't just do something, sit there!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2011, 06:58:57 PM »
All of this was going to happen.  Better it happens now than, say, 20 years ago or 20 years from now.  We are aware, awake, and can push back.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 08:30:32 PM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2011, 07:05:33 PM »
And of course it had to be Republicans to be first to jump on that bandwagon.

Hence why I say we can't trust them. There are now 3 things that ensure bipartisan actions, 1) a pay raise (republicans and democrats will step over any differences to vote themselves a raise 2) threat of a 3rd party (republicans and democrats will band together and go o the mat to prevent the rise of a 3rd party 3) **newest** that one of their own a victim, both parties only give a damn about themselves.  The Constitution is an afterthought.

Abraham Lincoln

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2011, 07:29:15 PM »

Peter King wants to outlaw weapons within 1,000 feet of representatives. 

333 yards is a pretty easy shot with a rifle.  ;/
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2011, 07:38:12 PM »
Some of the statements coming from republicans are disturbing me.
Which comments?  Which Republicans?

You are correct. Got my facts wrong on dates.

Fact remains, republicans did nothing [about the AWB].
Uh, no.  You got your facts wrong again. 

The actual fact is that Repubs did everything in their power to oppose the AWB, including passing a repeal in the House  in '95 or '96 (filibustered by Senate Dems), forcing the sunset provision into the original bill, and quashing multiple attempts to renew the ban when the sunset came up.

I'm sorry that we couldn't defeat the AWB outright, but we certainly did try.  Absent our efforts, the AWB would have been more onerous than it was, and it'd still be in force today.  

You're welcome.   ;)

(I hate having to constantly nag everyone about the Republicans, but so long as these knee-jerk attitudes and outright falsehoods persist, someone must keep the record straight.)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2011, 07:41:03 PM »
gonna be pesky with facts and reality are ya? >:D   statist! [popcorn]
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2011, 07:51:29 PM »

A bubble around congress?  Ah, no, not exactly.  

Burton's idea was to glass-over the opening between the visitor's gallery and the floor of the House, mainly to prevent protesters (think Code Pink) from disrupting the proceedings.  He discussed it briefly on a local radio show a while back, and it made a bit of sense when he described the rationale.  While it didn't strike me as an OMG-we-must-do-this-right-now kinda thing, it also didn't strike me as particularly foolish either.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2011, 08:08:14 PM »
The actual fact is that Repubs did everything in their power to oppose the AWB, including passing a repeal in the House  in '95 or '96 (filibustered by Senate Dems), forcing the sunset provision into the original bill, and quashing multiple attempts to renew the ban when the sunset came up.

Ok. I stand corrected again. In 95 and 96 they tried to repeal. Hmm. 97, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03- any attempts at repeal. You seem to know the facts, more than I.  Was their any pro gun legislation passes between 94 and 08?  Nothing comes to mind.

And thanks for the correction. I prefer to have good facts, I was slipping one this one. Maybe you can give us a little history on Peter King, the current republican calling for gun legislation.

Abraham Lincoln

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2011, 08:21:54 PM »

Can we make it airtight, soundproofed and opaque?