Author Topic: Chinese Carrier  (Read 26056 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Chinese Carrier
« on: December 15, 2011, 02:26:11 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/apnewsbreak-satellite-gets-pic-chinese-carrier-180333261.html

The former Soviet Union started building the carrier, which it called the Varyag, but never finished it. When the Soviet Union collapsed, it ended up in the hands of Ukraine, a former Soviet republic.

China bought the ship from Ukraine in 1998 and spent years refurbishing it. It had no engines, weaponry or navigation systems when China acquired it.

Sorry, but Chinese ships will always be junks on the Yantze River....

They are probably coated in lead paint, also.  =D
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Chinese Carrier
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 02:38:09 PM »
It's one aircraft carrier, whereas we have 11.

And it's half the size of one of ours.  And it's an old salvage ship with no Russian tech onboard, and the Chinese have to clobber together whatever they can steal from us or invent themselves that fits the ship's form factor.

Not worried.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 02:39:06 PM »
There's most likely orbital rods of god with that boat on the favorite list
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 03:01:44 PM »
Interesting thought, though:

Would one of these smaller carriers make a good candidate for a drone carrier?

Keep your pilots belowdecks, launch more ordnance on smaller aircraft, and carry more aircraft.  Also automate landings since pilot comfort/fear/survivability isn't an issue with a drone sea carrier landing.

Dogfighting would be a disadvantage, but if you can launch 5 times the number of drones as a US carrier, and each carries 4 anti-aircraft missiles, that disadvantage is mitigated by lower cost and higher numbers, along with a kamikaze-like pursuit of victory since no lives are at stake when aerial combat involves drones.  It also then means that each US pilot would have to be able to shoot down 5 hostile drones, each sending anti-aircraft missiles at him.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 03:11:51 PM »

Keep your pilots belowdecks, launch more ordnance on smaller aircraft, and carry more aircraft.  Also automate landings since pilot comfort/fear/survivability isn't an issue with a drone sea carrier landing.

Dogfighting would be a disadvantage, but if you can launch 5 times the number of drones as a US carrier, and each carries 4 anti-aircraft missiles, that disadvantage is mitigated by lower cost and higher numbers, along with a kamikaze-like pursuit of victory since no lives are at stake when aerial combat involves drones.  It also then means that each US pilot would have to be able to shoot down 5 hostile drones, each sending anti-aircraft missiles at him.

That's a rather scary scenario. Good thing the Chinese don't have access to any of our superior drone technology... oh, wait.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 09:59:57 PM »
Owning a carrier and successfully operating a carrier are two different issues.  Just because the US makes it look easy does not mean it is easy.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 10:05:28 PM »
1. Varyag is a training carrier.

2. There are serious upper limits with how many aircraft you can operate off a carrier. They have to do with air traffic control, not with storage space.

3. Landing a drone plane on a carrier is very difficult and even the United States Navy has only done it in testing.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 11:31:07 PM »
Owning a carrier and successfully operating a carrier are two different issues.  Just because the US makes it look easy does not mean it is easy.
My father served in the U.S. Navy in a U.D.T. team during the Korean War, when the Navy was just beginning to use jets on their aircraft carriers.  He told me once about sitting on the deck of a nearby destroyer and watching three Navy jets in a row go into the drink. =(
Every so often they still have a jet crash into the stern, or onto the deck, or some other disaster happens and there's an .... explosion.
Some of these are on the web, somewhere...
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 11:46:10 PM »
Problem: 1 Chicom "carrier".
Solution: 1 MK-48 ADCAP.

I'd be really surprised if we didn't have a boat in trail on that thing from the time it cleared the breakwater till it is doubled up back at it's pier.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 11:51:41 PM »
Wasn't there a used brit carrier on ebay a while ago that would have been more seaworthy than that chunk of ex com block junk?
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 02:15:39 AM »
A Defense Department report to Congress this year said the carrier could become operationally available to the Chinese navy by the end of next year but without aircraft.

"From that point, it will take several additional years before the carrier has an operationally viable air group," Hull-Ryde said in an email.

No planes to fly from it, no pilots trained to fly from it, just another target without air cover.

And color me skeptical, but a civilian satellite just snapping pictures of the ocean happens to catch this thing underway, right.

bob

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 02:22:31 AM »
No planes to fly from it, no pilots trained to fly from it, just another target without air cover.

And color me skeptical, but a civilian satellite just snapping pictures of the ocean happens to catch this thing underway, right.

bob
LOL. Nice catch.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 09:37:35 AM »

But as we have found out in the past, just launching hoards of AA missiles doesn't necessarily get the job done.  And it only works if you can see the other planes and have the freedom to fire at a decent distance.  I wonder what sort of radar the Chinese would bring to the table if they tried to send this carrier out into the ocean. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 11:38:51 AM »

bob

Plus, the small ramp-end carriers are made for STOL/VTOL fighters, like the Harrier, or YAK-whatever the Russians had almost no success with.

So even if you pull off a successful VTOL naval fighter, they tend to have shorter legs than catapult/wire captured fighters.

I'm aware the U.S. Marines operate the Harrier, and there's a VTOL version of the F-35 JSF, but that's a good compliment to their capabilities, which are presumed to take place in the wider arena of U.S. naval and air superiority.

If short legged VTOL's are all you've got. And lumpy-bumpy-frumpy copies of a mediocre-at-best Soviet design that killed a lot of pilots, you're just boned.

Like the UAV secrets in the other thread, it's not even so much the tech itself that's the "secret" it's all the logistics, operations, and supporting systems and organization that make it all work. And that isn't so much even a secret. It's a culture. Either you have it, or you don't.
I promise not to duck.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 11:40:52 AM »
Plus, the small ramp-end carriers are made for STOL/VTOL fighters, like the Harrier, or YAK-whatever the Russians had almost no success with.

So even if you pull off a successful VTOL naval fighter, they tend to have shorter legs than catapult/wire captured fighters.

I'm aware the U.S. Marines operate the Harrier, and there's a VTOL version of the F-35 JSF, but that's a good compliment to their capabilities, which are presumed to take place in the wider arena of U.S. naval and air superiority.

If short legged VTOL's are all you've got. And lumpy-bumpy-frumpy copies of a mediocre-at-best Soviet design that killed a lot of pilots, you're just boned.

Like the UAV secrets in the other thread, it's not even so much the tech itself that's the "secret" it's all the logistics, operations, and supporting systems and organization that make it all work. And that isn't so much even a secret. It's a culture. Either you have it, or you don't.

That carrier was designed to operate the navalized variant of the SU-27, not the forger.  Since the Chinese already buy the 27, it is reasonable to assume they want to do the same.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 11:57:23 AM »
Jebus.  :-X

They do non STOL/VTOL off a ramp?

Granted, the planes and all the other junk on the straight half of the deck make a touch-n-go off any carrier hairy. But with that ramp just off to your right?  I mean, if it works for them, great. Although that tells me the Soviets/Russians were just never serious about naval aviation and force projection.

Like that poster that shows all the carriers of the different countries. It's a real smack upside the head about our capabilites vs. everyone else's.

If it weren't the whole "God made man, Sam Colt made them equal" factor that nukes have, even during the Cold War we were sort of the world's only superpower.
I promise not to duck.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 12:00:01 PM »
But as we have found out in the past, just launching hoards of AA missiles doesn't necessarily get the job done.  And it only works if you can see the other planes and have the freedom to fire at a decent distance.  I wonder what sort of radar the Chinese would bring to the table if they tried to send this carrier out into the ocean.  

Since this class of carrier was originally outfitted with a phased array radar, I'm guessing some sort of variant of the AN/SPY-1 Aegis that they stole from us.

That carrier was designed to operate the navalized variant of the SU-27, not the forger.  Since the Chinese already buy the 27, it is reasonable to assume they want to do the same.

Yup, the Sukhoi Su-33 and now introducing the MiG-29K developed off the MiG-29M.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 12:03:37 PM »
Jebus.  :-X

Granted, the planes and all the other junk on the straight half of the deck make a touch-n-go off any carrier hairy. But with that ramp just off to your right?  I mean, if it works for them, great. Although that tells me the Soviets/Russians were just never serious about naval aviation and force projection.

Like that poster that shows all the carriers of the different countries. It's a real smack upside the head about our capabilites vs. everyone else's.

If it weren't the whole "God made man, Sam Colt made them equal" factor that nukes have, even during the Cold War we were sort of the world's only superpower.

This one?

(Obviously this is dated)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 12:08:26 PM »
I used to drive that one on the bottom left!  =D

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 12:18:48 PM »

Seems to work OK for them. I just wonder what kind of a payload, if any they can load up and still not dribble off of the pointy end when they run out of deck?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3AMB7ZFF3Q

And the SU-33.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj3o3gNgxg4&feature=related

And this just because it will make you pucker even if it is just a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mmcSF9AuL8

bob

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 12:29:26 PM »
Carriers make sense only when a big power is fighting a lesser power and "projecting power" unchallenged by major rivals, otherwise they are extremely vulnerable targets that would not last long in a serious dust-up.  If the Chinese want to spend huge sums on carriers to make themselves feel first-rank I say go for it.  Too bad, though, we are subsidizing them with our debt.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 08:37:59 PM »
Since this class of carrier was originally outfitted with a phased array radar, I'm guessing some sort of variant of the AN/SPY-1 Aegis that they stole from us.

Gah! I come here to get away from working for a while and SPY still gets talked about.  [barf]
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 08:58:32 PM »

Granted, the planes and all the other junk on the straight half of the deck make a touch-n-go off any carrier hairy. But with that ramp just off to your right?  I mean, if it works for them, great. Although that tells me the Soviets/Russians were just never serious about naval aviation and force projection.

AFAIK, in Soviet doctrine the primary goal of aircraft carriers is not force projection, but helping to fend off a supposed US mass-landing.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 09:14:07 PM »
It's a Navy Cross that's just waiting to happen.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2011, 08:16:11 AM »
Carriers make sense only when a big power is fighting a lesser power and "projecting power" unchallenged by major rivals, otherwise they are extremely vulnerable targets that would not last long in a serious dust-up. If the Chinese want to spend huge sums on carriers to make themselves feel first-rank I say go for it.  Too bad, though, we are subsidizing them with our debt.

Naval tactics fail.  Carrier Battle Groups are designed and trained to control large areas of ocean to keep sea lanes open.  Apparently in the last "serious dust-up"  there were some Bavarian dudes in little bitty sinking ships that caused trouble all out of proportion to their size.

The whole force projection thing is something they do because no one is actually trying to close sea lanes.

As to a carrier's vulnerability, they are both very tough ships and very hard to get ordinance to.  Even the Soviets, who spent a lot of time and money to figure out how to, were unsure of their ability to sink more Carriers wholesale.  The folks that talk about "big easy targets" tend to have been no closer to a navy ship then reading a Tom Clancy novel.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 08:24:03 AM by dogmush »