Author Topic: The Romneys Have Struggled  (Read 8172 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
The Romneys Have Struggled
« on: September 09, 2012, 10:07:41 AM »
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=160832024&ft=1&f=

WASHINGTON (AP) — Ann Romney says while she and her husband have never had financial woes, they do know what it's like to struggle.
The wife of Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney says her battle with multiple sclerosis has been at times a cruel teacher.

Well, this makes me feel so much better.

If they have not worried about money, they have not struggled like the rest of us.

They are not like the rest of us at all.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: The Romneys Have Struggled
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 10:31:10 AM »
Whether a politician is like me or not is of no concern to me.

Whether a politician pursues policies that increase liberty and economic prosperity are what concern me.

The rest is a bunch of class/racial/religious rhetoric that distracts from the real issues.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 10:31:22 AM »
Who cares?

You want to get really down in the weeds, life is a struggle and we all lose finally. Most politicians might shy from such cheerful talk.

I don't want a politician that is just like me. I'd be a horrible president. My foreign policy would be loved by all though. All the survivors that is.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 11:24:39 AM »
I don't want a President that's been what I've been through. 

I don't care if they've been poor or rich, just DON'T LIE to me about it.
I don't care what kind of care the candidate drove, just DON'T LIE to me about it.
I do care if you made your riches legally, but I don't care if you had to lay off people to do so, just DON'T LIE  to me about it.

Are you seeing a pattern here? 

I want someone who is, at least, smart enough to surround themselves with experts in foreign relations, energy, finance, etc who are trusted and respected in their fields to advise.

I want someone who is not going to spend a majority of their time trying to take away my freedoms/rights/money/time.  If the president gets vacations, I should be able to, in theory, take a vacation too.  If I can't because I am paying too much out in taxes/fees/fines, there is a problem.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 11:57:34 AM »

Whether a politician pursues policies that increase liberty and economic prosperity are what concern me.

The rest is a bunch of class/racial/religious rhetoric that distracts from the real issues.

All that and a bag of chips.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 12:00:11 PM »

+1! ;)
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 12:31:20 PM »

This. The fact someone has 'not struggled' neither makes them a worse nor a better person.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 01:10:50 PM »
WASHINGTON (AP) — Ann Romney says while she and her husband have never had financial woes, they do know what it's like to struggle.
The wife of Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney says her battle with multiple sclerosis has been at times a cruel teacher.

Ms. Romney, with all due respect. you'd be well-advised to dispense with patronizing bovine skat.  A lot of us have had critical financial woes AND suffered immediate life-threatening medical conditions for which payment could not be paid because of serious financial woes.  Your time will be best spent convincing your husband to implement policies which get off my freakin' airhose so I can afford my own health insurance.  I don't want your platitudes or your protestations that you are just like me.  You aren't.  I want you, your husband, and his government off my airhose so I can live my life in a manner suitable to me.  Is there anything I just said that you do not understand?????
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 01:41:43 PM »
Sadly many - many even among us - confuse patronising with 'caring'.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 02:28:40 PM »
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=160832024&ft=1&f=

Well, this makes me feel so much better.

If they have not worried about money, they have not struggled like the rest of us.

They are not like the rest of us at all.

I didn't really think they were.  None of that class is.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 03:34:02 PM »
I don't want a President that's been what I've been through. 

I don't care if they've been poor or rich, just DON'T LIE to me about it.
I don't care what kind of care the candidate drove, just DON'T LIE to me about it.
I do care if you made your riches legally, but I don't care if you had to lay off people to do so, just DON'T LIE  to me about it.

This is exactly my point!
She is stretching to show that they are the same.
I know that they are not.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 03:43:32 PM »
When in modern times have we had a president that had any connection to ordinary everyday Americans?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 03:55:30 PM »
When in modern times have we had a president that had any connection to ordinary everyday Americans?

That's a good question...  Jimmy Carter, maybe?  And he totally sucked as a president.  (Made a pretty good ex-president for a while.)
"It's good, though..."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 04:21:23 PM »
Why should we or why would we want a president who's like ordinary Americans? Don't we want someone who's more driven, who's been more successful at his endeavors than others? It's an executive position with even more of the sorts of demands put upon CEO's of major corporations (who don't have to order people to be killed, either). It's not a job for Joe Six Pack.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 04:40:41 PM »
Why should we or why would we want a president who's like ordinary Americans? Don't we want someone who's more driven, who's been more successful at his endeavors than others? It's an executive position with even more of the sorts of demands put upon CEO's of major corporations (who don't have to order people to be killed, either). It's not a job for Joe Six Pack.

True, but people can also come from less-privileged backgrounds and exhibit those qualities.

it's just human nature to want your leaders to understand your situation, and if they've been there themselves, that helps. It's not a deal-breaker for me, but it's understandable that people might consider it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 05:05:49 PM »
The most important decisions of leaderships are not 'expert decisions', but moral decisions.

That is to say: I would like to have a leader that shares my moral values, my views on the issues, etc. Some people believe that a leader that shares your class background is more likely to share those views, but let us not confuse cause and effect.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2012, 05:08:06 PM »
This is suddenly reminding me of John Kerry talking up his hunting experience...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 09:19:05 AM »
The woman has had both MS and breast cancer.   Why not lighten up on the woman just a bit?  Being rich doesn't mean everything is suddenly easy or painless in your life.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 09:55:07 AM »
Anyone not successful in their life want to tell me who they blame for their failures? Did some rich guy take your opportunity away? What's stopping you from  being the next Bill Gates? Some of you are starting to sound like a bunch of OWS types =D

I'm fully aware the 99%+ of where I'm at in life is a direct result of the choices I've made, what I've done or failed to do or how I reacted to the various crap sammiches "life" has handed to me.

I don't see anything condescending in that statement. I've watch my dad struggle with MS for more than 25 years. I know what it can do to a person, I've seen it up close and personal.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2012, 11:58:45 AM »
Life's tough all over.  Thinking it isn't means you don't have much of an imagination.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2012, 12:01:39 PM »
Life's tough all over.  Thinking it isn't means you don't have much of an imagination.

But, but, but...having money than you can spend fixes everything! Right?
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2012, 01:20:02 PM »
But, but, but...having money than you can spend fixes everything! Right?

Andrew Carnegie could not be reached for a comment to this post.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2012, 01:51:24 PM »
We elect them to do what we need done, the practical social and economic stuff, not to share our pain or be "bigger" exemplars of ourselves.  America is not (I hope beyond hope) reality tv, it is a nation.  All of this is part of the romantic take-over of what was once a strong country and culture.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2012, 02:00:37 PM »
Anyone not successful in their life want to tell me who they blame for their failures?

All I can say is that people will pay much more for stuff they want but don't really need, as opposed to stuff they really need.   

I didn't realize that at first  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2012, 02:04:36 PM »
If you are saying much of the "economy" is based on fantasy and the buying and re-buying of **** we don't need, you are right.

Check out any shopping mall.  You will see (mostly) women trolling with shopping bags for...well, ask the marketing and advertising people who adrenalize our desires, and they will tell you.  Too much of what we call our "economy" is nothing but an OCD syndrome.

Restless women and men who love them way too much.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.