Author Topic: I find myself in complete agreement with Obama  (Read 3097 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

birdman

• friend
Re: I find myself in complete agreement with Obama
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 11:23:07 AM »
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-maybe-i-should-just-pack-and-go-home-golly_720259.html

Yes. Please do. Today. I'll help.

What a whiny POTUS.  Less than 4 months into his second term and he's whining about not being able to do what he wants.  Darn.  Clinton had the same thing, and pivoted to center.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 11:25:16 AM »
What a whiny POTUS.  Less than 4 months into his second term and he's whining about not being able to do what he wants.  Darn.  Clinton had the same thing, and pivoted to center.

He pivoted in his first term after losing the midterms rather spectacularly.

I never thought I'd be impressed by Bill Clinton's ability to govern.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 11:32:17 AM »
I don't care what party POTUS is from.  If he's ineffective, he's my guy.

Tired of the 51% vote making major swings in this country one way or another.  We can unite and manage to tally a 75% or higher vote for things that actually matter when they come up.  Shouldn't be so easy for a slim majority to take so much from the populace.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 12:52:11 PM »
I don't care what party POTUS is from.  If he's ineffective, he's my guy.

Tired of the 51% vote making major swings in this country one way or another.  We can unite and manage to tally a 75% or higher vote for things that actually matter when they come up.  Shouldn't be so easy for a slim majority to take so much from the populace.

Considering how many people don't even bother to vote, the majority is even slimmer than you think.

If I was writing a new constitution, I'd require 75% of eligible voters/members of congress to elect or pass anything.

If nobody wins start over until somebody does.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 02:40:24 PM »
Require a 75% majority to pass a law and a 25% minority to repeal a law.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 03:40:38 PM »

No. Simply mandate every federal law not part of the constitution has a 10 year lifespan. You like the law? Get 75% of the people to care enough, again, to pass it. 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 04:44:08 PM »
No. Simply mandate every federal law not part of the constitution has a 10 year lifespan. You like the law? Get 75% of the people to care enough, again, to pass it. 

Make it a 1 year lifespan and I'll support your plan  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 06:13:22 PM »

7 years and automatic repeal/termination unless passed again.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 06:26:50 PM »
We seem to float this auto-die of legislation here on APS pretty frequently.

Imagine yourself a seething, slinking, spiteful, bile-filled, commie-sympathizing nazi warmongering Statist of the worst order... with an auto-sunset clause in the Constitution you have to pay lip service to.  Take the worst bits of Bush I, Clinton, Bush II and Obama and wrap them up in Pelosi's ego and call it POTUS.

How would you go about abusing this?  7 year sunset, 10 year sunset, whatever period.

#1 - I think we would see LOTS of apathy towards passing legislation.  You think it's bad now?  Just wait until social experimenters take advantage of the marketing potential of a 7 year "oops, that didn't work out so well, but hey at least now we know!" automatic forgiveness of any mistakes made.  You'll have a half dozen experiments running all together with your tax dollars, civil liberties, or childrens' lives overseas in various military entanglements.

#2 - ? ? ?

#3 - Profit!

I think the AWB gave us this idea of auto-expiration.  We got damned lucky there.  They won't make that mistake again.  And if they did, they'd be sure to find a way to omnibus-renew in a megabill each year or term, or something like that.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 06:51:26 PM »
We seem to float this auto-die of legislation here on APS pretty frequently.

Imagine yourself a seething, slinking, spiteful, bile-filled, commie-sympathizing nazi warmongering Statist of the worst order... with an auto-sunset clause in the Constitution you have to pay lip service to.  Take the worst bits of Bush I, Clinton, Bush II and Obama and wrap them up in Pelosi's ego and call it POTUS.

How would you go about abusing this?  7 year sunset, 10 year sunset, whatever period.

#1 - I think we would see LOTS of apathy towards passing legislation.  You think it's bad now?  Just wait until social experimenters take advantage of the marketing potential of a 7 year "oops, that didn't work out so well, but hey at least now we know!" automatic forgiveness of any mistakes made.  You'll have a half dozen experiments running all together with your tax dollars, civil liberties, or childrens' lives overseas in various military entanglements.

#2 - ? ? ?

#3 - Profit!

How is that different than now?

"We have to pass the healthcare bill, so that we can see what's in it."

"I'll go ahead and sign this campaign finance bill. It's probably not quite constitutional, but that's the Supreme Court's problem."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 07:42:10 PM »

No just pass an amendment to the Constitution that makes kongresskritters subject to every law they pass.
I think it will be surprising what THAT fixes!!!! :police:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 09:07:15 PM »
What a whiny POTUS.  Less than 4 months into his second term and he's whining about not being able to do what he wants. 

You must have watched a different video than I did. Some reporter gave him a list of all the things that have gone wrong for him lately, and he responded with a little dry humor.

Meh.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 10:06:08 PM »

You must have watched a different video than I did. Some reporter gave him a list of all the things that have gone wrong for him lately, and he responded with a little dry humor.

Meh.

The dry humor can be interpreted as passive aggressive,  though.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 01:20:36 AM »
Having to repass a law is an opportunity to make it bigger, or worse. I do like the idea of super majority to do things, with different bars for different actions.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 01:43:23 AM »
No just pass an amendment to the Constitution that makes kongresskritters subject to every law they pass.
I think it will be surprising what THAT fixes!!!! :police:
I always thought that congress should actually serve the people.  Like one serves in the Army.  It should be a sacrifice somehow, but I can't come up with how to do it.  Having to pay to serve excludes people.  Making it a non-paying job seems pointless. 

Maybe the Sergeant-At-Arms pops each rep in the mouth each morning?  A month of community service cleaning up public bathrooms each year?  Something should make it more work and less play.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 10:10:57 AM »

They already do that when the re-authorize spending and the like, only they lump it all toghether, so you get 51% (or more) crap and 49% (or less) good stuff.  The other thing is single subject bills  (We actually have that in Illinois), you can't tack extraneous crap if it has nothing to do with the original bill.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.