Author Topic: Jimmy Carter denouces Obama for "Wide spread human rights violations."  (Read 10986 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
I just don't like it that we seem to be taking it for granted that wahabiists are no longer a big threat to America, that we're winding down in A'stan and peace is at hand.  We HAVEN'T won the war.

1. The Wahhabis are not now, nor were ever, a big threat to America. Even on 9/11, when the actual planes were diving in on the towers, the Wahhabis were not a big threat to America.

2. Please provide a concrete, realistic, definition of victory.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

De Selby

• friend
The hostages were released during Reagan's Inauguration.  Howzat work again?

Iranian snatchings in Lebanon - you know, when reagan sold the Iranians arms and used the money to pay for a campaign of terrorism in central America, which included the orchestrated rape of nuns, shootings of priests, and in particular the use of acid in people's faces as a means of "protecting liberty."

Yep, that Reagan sure showed them terrorists!  He showed even more of them how to conduct a successful guerrilla war in Afghanistan...outstanding foresight there. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Iranian snatchings in Lebanon - you know, when reagan sold the Iranians arms and used the money to pay for a campaign of terrorism in central America, which included the orchestrated rape of nuns, shootings of priests, and in particular the use of acid in people's faces as a means of "protecting liberty."

Yep, that Reagan sure showed them terrorists!  He showed even more of them how to conduct a successful guerrilla war in Afghanistan...outstanding foresight there. 

If he was able to keep Iran in the running with Iraq during the Iran/Iraq War with expendable munitions, more power to him.

The more the mad mohammedians keep their attention on killing each other, the less time they have to get into trouble in civilized parts of the globe.

Overestimating your enemy can be just as dangerous. Wahabis need to be stomped on, but we've dumped several trillion dollars into unrelated activities. Plus sharply reduced our own freedom. Making us less in a position to combat terrorism.

This.  Why do we let the "invade the world / invite the world" goobers set up shop in places where only rubble ought to be left?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.

Quote from: TommyGunn
I just don't like it that we seem to be taking it for granted that wahabiists are no longer a big threat to America, that we're winding down in A'stan and peace is at hand.  We HAVEN'T won the war.

1. The Wahhabis are not now, nor were ever, a big threat to America. Even on 9/11, when the actual planes were diving in on the towers, the Wahhabis were not a big threat to America.

I am soooooooooo relieved to hear this.  You don't know HOW relieved I am.   I don't know why I thought a terrorist group who could slaughter 2,973 human beings and cause billions of dollars in damage would ever be a "big threat" to America.  I guess the fact even the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor didn't kill so many or cost so much probably prejudiced my opinion, huh? 

2. Please provide a concrete, realistic, definition of victory.

That will happen when the Wahabiists are incapable of giving us a dirty look.
 [tinfoil]

MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MicroBalrog

• friend
I am soooooooooo relieved to hear this.  You don't know HOW relieved I am.   I don't know why I thought a terrorist group who could slaughter 2,973 human beings and cause billions of dollars in damage would ever be a "big threat" to America.  I guess the fact even the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor didn't kill so many or cost so much probably prejudiced my opinion, huh? 

Yes. It did, because the threat posed by the Japanese was not limited to what they did in Pearl Harbor, but also extended to a massive range of conventional military attacks throughout the region. On the day after the attack, Japan outgunned the US Navy in the Pacific 10-1 in battleships, and 3-1 in Carriers. They had a full-blown industrialized empire, combined with a fanatical religion (Shinto was in this respect as awful as Wahhabism, except the Japanese were far less technologically incompetent).

Of course, this resulted in America completely destroying the Japanese air force, 90%+ of Japanese industry, and then nuking Japan twice. Then, after the atomic strikes, America carried out the largest strategic bombing of the entire war, to make sure.

Given the fact the Wahhabists have no centralized command, and given any damn fool Mullah with five followers can apply for an Al-Quaeda franchise, how do you even conceive that as being possible?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

TommyGunn

• friend
Yes. It did, because the threat posed by the Japanese was not limited to what they did in Pearl Harbor, but also extended to a massive range of conventional military attacks throughout the region. On the day after the attack, Japan outgunned the US Navy in the Pacific 10-1 in battleships, and 3-1 in Carriers. They had a full-blown industrialized empire, combined with a fanatical religion (Shinto was in this respect as awful as Wahhabism, except the Japanese were far less technologically incompetent).

Of course, this resulted in America completely destroying the Japanese air force, 90%+ of Japanese industry, and then nuking Japan twice. Then, after the atomic strikes, America carried out the largest strategic bombing of the entire war, to make sure.

Given the fact the Wahhabists have no centralized command, and given any damn fool Mullah with five followers can apply for an Al-Quaeda franchise, how do you even conceive that as being possible?

I don't know Micro....I think we're doomed.  I think we're going to let them win. 
Like the Japanese extending their influence throughout the Pacific the Wahabiists are also spreading their influence.  They're in no position to rape NanKing yet but they aren't the type of threat that marches in, shoots all the men, rapes all the women and drinks all the rice wine.  The wahabiists are slightly more subtle than that.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

De Selby

• friend
I don't know Micro....I think we're doomed.  I think we're going to let them win. 
Like the Japanese extending their influence throughout the Pacific the Wahabiists are also spreading their influence.  They're in no position to rape NanKing yet but they aren't the type of threat that marches in, shoots all the men, rapes all the women and drinks all the rice wine.  The wahabiists are slightly more subtle than that.

Uh, where is there a danger of Wahhabi takeover?   They only barely maintain power in Saudi Arabia, and that's through extreme violence against their own and US military support.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

TommyGunn

• friend
Uh, where is there a danger of Wahhabi takeover?   They only barely maintain power in Saudi Arabia, and that's through extreme violence against their own and US military support.

They're in Indonesia as well.   And other areas around there.   
It's nice to think they're not a real danger but they may not agree with the idea that the ... "jihad" is anywhere near over, let alone just in its early decades.

De Selby

• friend

They're in Indonesia as well.   And other areas around there.   
It's nice to think they're not a real danger but they may not agree with the idea that the ... "jihad" is anywhere near over, let alone just in its early decades.

Wahhabis have about as much chance of taking Indonesia as the Westboro baptists do of taking America.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net

The Wahhabi have no industrial base. They have no military infrastructure. They do not have nation states. They have some turf, but no thorough tax base. Their economic "power" is limited to contributions from other folks, ergo they are parasitic. That's never as steady or comprehensive as having an actual economy to back you up. Those contributions are near entirely linked to oil production, which is not a very diverse economy either.

They're dangerous, don't get me wrong. But until they have even a single nation under their control and an actual industrial base...  Pfft. 

They're cockroaches. They do damage, they're a pain to hunt down and step on. But they'll never be able to kill or destroy us.

Did you wonder why we haven't had a real terrorist strike since then?  It's surely not because of our wonderful security agencies, such as the TSA. As far as anyone knows, the TSA has not caught any terrorists. Air Marshals are ten times as effective as the TSA...  And more air marshals have been arrested than people arrested by air marshals. Each person arrested, not convicted, comes with a $200 million dollar price tag.

Economically, it'd be intelligent to scrap the overwhelming majority of domestic security programs and toss one fifth of the cash to our Special Operations folks and intelligence agencies. It'd have the additional benefit of actually probably improving our security.

[tinfoil]

So, in other words, forever war? That does seem to be the wish of way too many folks.

Wahhabis have about as much chance of taking Indonesia as the Westboro baptists do of taking America.

De Selby is correct. A better example would be the ability of the Mexican Cartels do of taking America. They're dangerous and a real problem. But odds of them seizing power? Uhm. Zip?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

TommyGunn

• friend
Thank you, RevDisk, Deselby, for telling me so much of what I already know.  
They don't have an industrial base?
Duuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......
They have no nation-states/tax base.  Blah blah.  Well, that's true.  But look at europe.  They've made huge inroads in european culture.  Some countries like France have just begun to fight back.  Draw a cartoon of Mohammed and publish it there and you'd better be superman.  
Quote from: RevDisk
So, in other words, forever war? That does seem to be the wish of way too many folks.
:facepalm:

No. NOT a ****** "foooorrrrrrevvvver war."     Jeeeeeesh. :facepalm:
If we'd been fighting a real war in A'Stan and had the cojones to deal with Pakistan I think we'd be through by now.  We did the same ****** in Vietnam.  McNamara called it "limited warfare" and the idea was to use only enough force to deal with the enemy -- no more.
Thus we got a decade of war and 58,000 dead.

Whatever success the  Muslim hordes enjoy in europe -- dicey though it may be -- was done sans industrial base, sans nation state.  

Oh THANKS DeSelby ..... now I have to worry about the Westboro Baptist nuts...... :rofl: [tinfoil]

You guys weren't advisers to G. A. Custer in an earlier lifetime, were you? [tinfoil] [popcorn]

A "appreciate" your confidence(s).  

Now I guess you will reply with incredulous posts of just how IMPOSSIBLE it really IS for the wahabiists to win.  And that they can't without the above montioned nation state industrial stuff.  
Look, I'm HOPING you're right.  I'm just not so sanguin about it.

I joke about Custer and the Plains Indian Wars.  And while RevDisk would point out that the whiteman had the industrial base, the "nation state" (notwithstanding the "Indian Nation(s)" concept, a slightly different thing altogether) and so forth....
Custer did lose at the Little Bighorn.  The Sioux Nation had the numbers and .... atleast that one moment .... the cajones, the spirit, to take a circumstance in which the Indians would normally be at a huge disadvantage and turn it into a great victory under Chiefs Crazy Horse & Gall.  Thank you Chief Sitting Bull, for the vision.  The spiritual vision of bluecoats falling into camp.
Like the spiritual stuff?  Hey, send it in to George Noory.
It's bunk.
It gave the Indian warriors encouragement to believe they could (would) win.  That, combined with other facts such as Custer's bad situation awareness, a subordinate screwing up initial contact with the enemy, another subordinate's failure to follow orders to bring up more ammo packs & supplies,  another cavalry general botching a river crossing and delaying his cavalry's arrival at the L.Bighorn, plus the terrain favoring Crazy Horse & Gall, led the Indian Nations to a victory over a more technically advanced enemy.
But it was also the Indian Nations' last stand......
Years later Crazy Horse was dead, and Wounded Knee (AKA "Custer's Revenge) sapped the last of the Indian spirit for fighting the white man.
In my opinion we did not so much win the Plains Indian Wars as the Indians lost it.  They lost the spirit to fight.  And the Indian Nations have been in lousy conditions ever since.... for a lot of reasons I won't go into.

I don't know how the war against the Wahabiists will turn out.  However, I fear it is we who are losing our spirit, our will to fight.   I read snide remarks about "forever war" on internet posts and wonder how many people really have the will for what may prove to be a long term battle.  The "Plains Indian" War went on nearly four decades.  In skirmishes on the field the "civilized" high-tech U.S. Cavalry often found themselves out guessed, outflanked, outfought and dead.  Names like Grattan and Fetterman and .... George Armstrong Custer.... echo down across the abyss of time to remind us that while we may have "superior" weapons that doesn't mean we always have superior minds, an underdog can, too, win.  Atleast in the "short term."

Yeah, we have fought a less than perfect war.  We thought there were WMDs in Iraq and allowed that to distract us, a billions of dollars worth of bungle.  A modern "Market Garden" or "Kasserine Pass" times 1000.
Victory?   You want a definition?
Loss is far easier to define.   Time will answer the question far better than I can ....atleast right now.  
I am having my crystal ball repaired .... it really ****-ed me over on the Obamacare thing ..... [barf] :facepalm: :'(
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 12:15:15 PM by TommyGunn »

MicroBalrog

• friend
They have no nation-states/tax base.  Blah blah.  Well, that's true.  But look at europe.  They've made huge inroads in european culture.  Some countries like France have just begun to fight back.  Draw a cartoon of Mohammed and publish it there and you'd better be superman. 

Why? Not a single one of the people behind the Muslim Cartoon Crisis has ever been even injured by a Muslim. If anything that story has gotten hundreds of Jihadis killed (in riots in places like Pakistan, failed attacks on Europeans, etc.).

All we need to do is draw a picture of their leader and they start killing themselves.

Put it this way.

The Basque have carried out more terrorist attacks than the Muslims.

The only (ONLY!) Muslim Terrorist Attack in Europe that year was:

One Libyan national tried to detonate a home-made explosive device when entering a military compound in Milan. He slightly wounded one of the guards and suffered severe burns himself.

I'm sorry if I am unimpressed by this man's epic military prowess.

TommyGunn

• friend
Why? Not a single one of the people behind the Muslim Cartoon Crisis has ever been even injured by a Muslim. If anything that story has gotten hundreds of Jihadis killed (in riots in places like Pakistan, failed attacks on Europeans, etc.).

All we need to do is draw a picture of their leader and they start killing themselves.

??? ???  Really?Wasn't a relative/offspring of Van Gogh murdered by islamists after drawing a cartoon or some supposedly "bad" representation of Mohamed?  I'm pretty sure something similar happened a few years ago.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net

You guys weren't advisers to G. A. Custer in an earlier

lifetime, were you?

ROFL, thank ye.  I needed that.

Ps, just curious, how much direct contact have you had with Islamic terrorists? Ditto time in Islamic countries?  Speak any languages Islamic folks tend to use?   

« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 09:08:55 PM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MicroBalrog

• friend
??? ???  Really?Wasn't a relative/offspring of Van Gogh murdered by islamists after drawing a cartoon or some supposedly "bad" representation of Mohamed?  I'm pretty sure something similar happened a few years ago.

Theo Van Gogh, over an anti-Islamic documentary. But as I said - nothing to do with the cartoon crisis.

TommyGunn

• friend

ROFL, thank ye.  I needed that.

Ps, just curious, how much direct contact have you had with Islamic terrorists? Ditto time in Islamic countries?  Speak any languages Islamic folks tend to use?   
[tinfoil]

If I had ... "contact" with Islamic terrorists I would probably be dead. 
I don't understand the purpose of these questions.  Have YOU been to any Islamic countries?  Does going to an Islamic country make you an expert in Islamic terrorists?  Do I have to go to these countries or learn a language to express an opinion -- even one which you may disagree??? ???

Theo Van Gogh, over an anti-Islamic documentary. But as I said - nothing to do with the cartoon crisis.

Oh well, friggin' OOOOOOOOOOPS it was a documentary, not a "cartoon." 
Still an artist being killed for portrayals of Islam.   =| =|

MicroBalrog

• friend

I have met a "former" Fatah fighter IRL. I am still alive, isn't that marvelous?
(I believe I have told this story before on this forum).

Still an artist being killed for portrayals of Islam.

The point is it was you - not me - that referenced the "cartoon crisis".

The evidence is clear: Islamic terrorists are thoroughly incompetent, and they fail far more often than they succeed.

TommyGunn

• friend
Quote from: Microbalog
I have met a "former" Fatah fighter IRL. I am still alive, isn't that marvelous?

Goodie for you.  I suspect it might be remotely possible that the key word there is "former." [tinfoil]

Quote from: MicroBalog
The point is it was you - not me - that referenced the "cartoon crisis".

The evidence is clear: Islamic terrorists are thoroughly incompetent, and they fail far more often than they succeed.

Well I am soooorrrrrrry that I don't have an eidetic memory and cannot perfectly recall every last detail of newstories I have read maybe three or five years ago or whatever.  
It's fine that they're incompetent.  The ones that attacked us on 9/11/01 were far from US Navy Seal quality but they managed to get lucky (due partially to the fact that WE'RE sometimes lacking in competence-- like the FBI not following through when flight instructors tell them some A-rab guys wanna learn to fly but don't care how to take off or land.  BTW that "incompetence" cut both ways; any espionage agents worth their salt would NEVER raise questions about their intent by stating they "don't care about landing & takeoff:" BUT they still cost us nearly 3000 dead and billions in dollars).
From what I've read from servicemen in A'stan the thugs they're fighting are hardly overwhelmingly competent by a long shot but most people seem to agree they are pretty grimly determined to kill us.

But I'm not worried any more. ;)  They're  "thoroughly incompetent." :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Ah. The Iran Contra incident?

Got it.  Thought you meant the embassy hostages.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
He negotiated with the hostage-takers, successfully.

My apologies, Micro.  I thought Rev was referring to the embassy hostages.  Sorry for the snark.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

birdman

• friend
Then, after the atomic strikes, America carried out the largest strategic bombing of the entire war, to make sure.

Incorrect.  While the B-29 raid on 8/14 was the single largest RAID of the war, it was small compared to the amount of bombing BEFORE 8/6 and 8/9.  There were 700 sorties in that raid, compared to over 31000 (just b-29's) previously.  As for "to make sure" that raid occurred after the Japanese rejected the allied offering as they did not agree with the governmental changes required. 

So, if you mean the largest singe raid, and you mean to reinforce the surrender terms of the allies, then correct.

I'm just nit-picking :)
Or to quote Denis miller about pearl harbor "you just pissed off the wrong most powerful nation on earth"

MicroBalrog

• friend
The main issue, Tommygunn, and you are continuing to avoid it, is that a great threat is measured not only in how undesireable the event that is threatening us is, but also how likely it is to occur. Then we must estimate whether the expenses, in terms of money and discomfort to our lifestyle and freedom, are worth it.

I have used this example before: there exists a chance I might get shot tomorrow. If I get a loan, buy a bullet-resistant vest, and wear it daily, I would reduce that risk (although not completely to zero, I might still get shot in the head, or by a bullet that penetrates the vest). But I do not buy such a vest, not because I don't value my life, but because the discomfort from wearing the vest in hot Israeli weather, as well as the cost of the vest, is very high, while the actual likelihood I'd be shot (say, 0.000000000001%) is very low. As such, reducing the chance I'd get shot and killed from 0.000000000001% to 0.0000000000001% is not worth the investment in money and comfort.

We as a civilization made a vast investment in money, freedom, and political capital (which might have been applied to much-needed domestic reforms) to forestall a very low-likelihood event - that is, series of 'mega-attacks' like 9/11 disrupting our civilization. Yet the chance of these attacks happening again can never be reduced to zero (there will always be some Muslim terrorist group somewhere).

Our culture in the West has become entirely incapable of properly estimating the rate of risk from various events. You might see this in the annual whinefests about the latest spree shooting, the collapse of the space program (due in part to fears of accident and astronaut deaths), bans on items that are 0.0000000001% more likely to kill you (think about Yarts, or bans on airsoft guns in some countries).

Yes, I am not a maniac Rothbardian - surely if there was, for example, a North Korean invasion of CONUS, the President would likely declare martial law, confiscate all the trucks for military use,, and start drafting sixteen-year-olds to run at the North Korean tanks with fixed bayonets.

But this doesn't mean that every threat against America is an EMERGENCY EMERGENCY EMERGENCY.

Thereofre the question of what threat level is acceptable arises in all of its cold-hearted, steely nakedness. Since the threat level is never going to be zero, we must ask ourselves as a civilization - what threat level are we willing to accept. This question is not seriously discussed in public, in part because the media thrives on the aura of emergency as much as the politicians.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
[tinfoil]

I don't understand the purpose of these questions.  Have YOU been to any Islamic countries?  Does going to an Islamic country make you an expert in Islamic terrorists?  Do I have to go to these countries or learn a language to express an opinion -- even one which you may disagree??? ???

Still an artist being killed for portrayals of Islam.   =| =|

Yea, I have hung out with folks on and off the State Department terrorist list.  Mostly Albanian and Kurdish separatist groups, both mostly arm's length interaction with Wahabi groups.  It was fairly educational.  They explained quite a bit.  Shiites are typically territorial, and by their notion of territory.  They tend to being dirt poor.  Stay out of their turf, and they'll stick to killing each other and their neighbours.  Sunni tend to have the big money, and are big into expansion.  They are big on sponsoring conversion around the globe.  They also are willing to travel to blow things up.  Staying out of their turf is not enough.  They are our primary ally and enemy.  Ally, because they buy off US politicians and upper echelon desk jockeys.  State is filled with their cronies.  Everyone else is a mixed bag of random ethnic groups that get screwed over by the big two.  They don't matter outside their small patches of turf.  The Kurds, Albanians, Chetchens, et al conceded they were no ones compared to the Sunni and Shiites.  So they ratchet up violence in their neighbourhoods.  Much more likely to have genocide.  Either giving or taking, depending on the century.

You are entitled to an option.  Does not mean it is automatically entitled weight.  More direct experience and knowledge hopefully should be accorded weight. 

Respectfully, alleging I am some kind of idiot or defeatist because I have a different opinion and experience is downright hysterical.  For your own example, the Indians also lacked all of the same things as the Wahabi.  And we crushed them.  In spite of taking their turf, which is a hundred times more difficult than just killing extremists.  Folks with their back against a wall to defend their land and family fight with a hundred times the motivation of mere ideology.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
They also sold me some rugs.  Pretty rugs, and I am quite sure they thought they took me for a ride.  They would have been very offended if I offered them cash for info.  But couple hours and haggling, they handed over all the Intel I wanted.  Stole that trick from a Sherlock Holmes book.  Good trick, btw. 

TommyGunn

• friend
The main issue, Tommygunn, and you are continuing to avoid it, is that a great threat is measured not only in how undesireable the event that is threatening us is, but also how likely it is to occur. Then we must estimate whether the expenses, in terms of money and discomfort to our lifestyle and freedom, are worth it.

I have used this example before: there exists a chance I might get shot tomorrow. If I get a loan, buy a bullet-resistant vest, and wear it daily, I would reduce that risk (although not completely to zero, I might still get shot in the head, or by a bullet that penetrates the vest). But I do not buy such a vest, not because I don't value my life, but because the discomfort from wearing the vest in hot Israeli weather, as well as the cost of the vest, is very high, while the actual likelihood I'd be shot (say, 0.000000000001%) is very low. As such, reducing the chance I'd get shot and killed from 0.000000000001% to 0.0000000000001% is not worth the investment in money and comfort.

We as a civilization made a vast investment in money, freedom, and political capital (which might have been applied to much-needed domestic reforms) to forestall a very low-likelihood event - that is, series of 'mega-attacks' like 9/11 disrupting our civilization. Yet the chance of these attacks happening again can never be reduced to zero (there will always be some Muslim terrorist group somewhere).

Our culture in the West has become entirely incapable of properly estimating the rate of risk from various events. You might see this in the annual whinefests about the latest spree shooting, the collapse of the space program (due in part to fears of accident and astronaut deaths), bans on items that are 0.0000000001% more likely to kill you (think about Yarts, or bans on airsoft guns in some countries).

Yes, I am not a maniac Rothbardian - surely if there was, for example, a North Korean invasion of CONUS, the President would likely declare martial law, confiscate all the trucks for military use,, and start drafting sixteen-year-olds to run at the North Korean tanks with fixed bayonets.

But this doesn't mean that every threat against America is an EMERGENCY EMERGENCY EMERGENCY.

Thereofre the question of what threat level is acceptable arises in all of its cold-hearted, steely nakedness. Since the threat level is never going to be zero, we must ask ourselves as a civilization - what threat level are we willing to accept. This question is not seriously discussed in public, in part because the media thrives on the aura of emergency as much as the politicians.

True, I have NO IDEA HOW to estimate how likely any particular threat is.  I have no way of doing that.
I do know that we ARE in a war with what I consider to be a determined & ruthless enemy.
I find some of your post a bit specious.  
During WW2 we had no idea what the real abilities or the real end goal of our enemies were.  We prepared dor possible invasions -- blacked out lights around port cities and established air raid patrols and such.
It was really only after the war we learned that the Japanese never really intended to take over the U.S.  Hit us with a nuke in San Francisco?  If they could.
In fact they never possessed the ability to stage a real invasion .... unless they gave up their SE. Asia CoProsperity sphere idea and redeployed on an incredibly massive scale....probably something that they just couldn't do, logistically.
We don't really know so much about the Wahabists now.  What we seem to think is they're disjointed, unled, unorgainized, and capable only of pulling together some homegrown attacks that misfire due to either sheer incompetence or being infiltrated by FBI, ATF, or other LEO, or some associate turns them in.
I am not hardly privy to the kind of intelligence that the government would use to better classify, and or determine just what is going on in the plotters inside AQ and other terrorist organisations.
And I don't think very many others are, either; a condition that will IMO persist until the war IS truly over and a lot of classified stuff is declassified, and history books are written about this time.

Yea, I have hung out with folks on and off the State Department terrorist list.  Mostly Albanian and Kurdish separatist groups, both mostly arm's length interaction with Wahabi groups.  It was fairly educational.  They explained quite a bit.  Shiites are typically territorial, and by their notion of territory.  They tend to being dirt poor.  Stay out of their turf, and they'll stick to killing each other and their neighbours.  Sunni tend to have the big money, and are big into expansion.  They are big on sponsoring conversion around the globe.  They also are willing to travel to blow things up.  Staying out of their turf is not enough.  They are our primary ally and enemy.  Ally, because they buy off US politicians and upper echelon desk jockeys.  State is filled with their cronies.  Everyone else is a mixed bag of random ethnic groups that get screwed over by the big two.  They don't matter outside their small patches of turf.  The Kurds, Albanians, Chetchens, et al conceded they were no ones compared to the Sunni and Shiites.  So they ratchet up violence in their neighbourhoods.  Much more likely to have genocide.  Either giving or taking, depending on the century.

You are entitled to an option.  Does not mean it is automatically entitled weight.  More direct experience and knowledge hopefully should be accorded weight.  

Respectfully, alleging I am some kind of idiot or defeatist because I have a different opinion and experience is downright hysterical.  For your own example, the Indians also lacked all of the same things as the Wahabi.  And we crushed them.  In spite of taking their turf, which is a hundred times more difficult than just killing extremists.  Folks with their back against a wall to defend their land and family fight with a hundred times the motivation of mere ideology.

I was not trying to allege you were a "defeatist."   I am surprised that it is not I who is being seen as a "defeatist," in fact, since I am saying that I believe most of America does not seem to have the stomach or patience to bring this war to a resolution.

What I said about the Indians was that we crushed their spirit.  In spite of the fact we have far better technology than they (meaning wahabiists in this sentence) do I am beginning to wonder how that will work out.
The Indians fought very, very well when we met them on the open plains.  They traveled, moved, maneuvered and fought on lighter, faster ponies and showed a superior grasp of tactics and strategy than many of the commanders who led cavalry units against them.  
The one tactic we had that usually worked was hitting them while they were encamped.  That seemed to, however, work too well.  It made the  U.S. Army and the Plains Indian Wars quite unpopular among many eastern cities and hurt the war effort as it led to a number of what were believed (rightly or wrongly) to be outright massacres.  
Wiki Sand Creek Massacre as an example.
Do you recall the phrase "paper tiger?"
I don't even know if there is some metric about how the wahabists "spirit" is doing these days.  I don't count ours as being in the "good" catagory -- and that does concern me.

Your experience with people on the state dept. "watch lists" does surprise me.  Not so much that I am envious of that experience .... I have little desire to have anything to do with Kurdish Rebels or others like that.

I apologize to you if I offended you -- and I did come off awfully snarky in that last post.

You may have some good insights into their culture and abilities, but I have a real hard time believing that we are well prepared to deal with whatever level of threats they do pose when our own FBI won't follow through on reports of alien people wanting to learn to fly, but not land or take off, huge airliners.
And I do not believe the TSA circuses at airports are helpful .... or are anything OTHER than Government "performance Art" to make us feel better.  I guess some people must enjoy being wand raped ..... atleast in the opinion of the TSA Security Squads......
Could go on about DHS and other **** too I guess......

I am enough a student of history to be aware of some blatantly idiotic intelligence blunders during WW2  involving "Purple Intelligence" that make me wonder just how it was we did win that war if something called "fate" is only an illusion.  So it's not like we've never been there before anyway.

We need to be able win every contact with the BGs....they need only get "lucky" once....as has been pointed out.

Again, my apologies if my previous post offended you. It was not my intention.
I just wish I could be as confident in this country's future with regards to the external threats it faces.  It is not so much from a point of view of someone who believes he has all the answers (I sure don't) or has a terrific insight into the minds and beliefs of our enemies (probably not, I admit) but someone who is severely disaffected with and distrustful of our own government's ability and willingness to deal realistically and effectively with not only this situation, but a number of other serious domestic problems as well.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 04:32:20 PM by TommyGunn »