Author Topic: Tracking the "Other" side.  (Read 8249 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Tracking the "Other" side.
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2012, 07:56:24 PM »
they can differentiate between different alloys  

The word used was "isotope".  And, somehow, bullet lead is supposed to be a different isotope (atomic weight) from lead used for other things?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 08:00:56 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2012, 08:02:21 PM »
True that, and a California Condor is certainly a sight to see in flight, IRL.....
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2012, 09:41:12 PM »
Actually what I have read about the California Condor is that compared to other birds it does not take very much lead to kill them.

But they fly so high and fast that it takes a lot of lead to hit them  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2012, 10:50:10 PM »
But they fly so high and fast that it takes a lot of lead to hit them  :lol:

Actually I think the shooting of these giant birds is what almost wiped them out. There used to be a giant condor of the east coast but they were killed to extiction.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2012, 10:54:56 PM »
Actually I think the shooting of these giant birds is what almost wiped them out. There used to be a giant condor of the east coast but they were killed to extiction.

I think their primary food supply is gone (beached whales.)  What else would a buzzard that big that lives on the Pacific coast eat?
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2012, 10:59:56 PM »

It's really more due to habitat loss than anything else, and the fact that they are a bit more specialized than similar birds they compete with, like the aforementioned Turkey Vulture. The Turkey Vultures exist in the same habitat as the condors, but can also adapt to many other environments. I'll, for instance, see Turkey Vultures dining on a Sea Lion carcass when I run at the beach.  The condors stick to the backcountry mountains, and limited terrain therein, which is why the lead ban for hunting out here is tied to specific regions considered condor habitat (though there is a call for a statewide lead ban, but that is not condor specific). The California Condor has actually been declining since the end of the last ice age.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2012, 11:00:11 PM »
Hippies.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2012, 11:12:24 PM »
Bullet fragments in gut piles. Actually what I have read about the California Condor is that compared to other birds it does not take very much lead to kill them.

Protecting animals and the environment, usually leads to better living conditions for Homo Sapiens. I really don't want to live in some toxic wasteland because someone screamed there are too many regulations and we need to get rid of the EPA.

That's not going to happen because of hunters' bullets.
Anyway the EPA needs to be seriously reigned-in.  Perhaps not abolished but certainly hog-tied.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2012, 11:13:27 PM »
I did a little reading and yes the condors declined when the North American Megafauna dies out after the last ice age, but they are attributing the almost extinction of the California Condor due to poaching and poisoning of varmits.

I have also read that the extiction of the North American megafauna due to hunting activities of the early Native Americans. Native Americans pretty much wiped out much of the large game in North America and turned to agriculture until European settlement happend and killed 16 out of 17 Native Americans with disease. Some of the early European explorers mention in their journals about seeing agriculture as far as the eye can see in modern day Tennessee but when Danial Boone crossed over 200 years later he saw nothing but forests, a lot of trees can grow in 200 years.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2012, 11:13:57 PM »
That's not going to happen because of hunters' bullets.
Anyway the EPA needs to be seriously reigned-in.  Perhaps not abolished but certainly hog-tied.

Why?

Uranus is a gas giant.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2012, 11:23:44 PM »
Why?
If you're refering to hunters' bullets I seriously doubt there's enough of them out there to be a serious problem to the environment.
If you're refering to the EPA it's grown into an overbloated intrusive monster that wants to regulate ridiculous things to ridiculous degrees. 
A great deal has been accomplished over the past 50 years in cleaning up the environment and I think to some degree the EPA is a victim of this success. Instead of responding "yeah! We did it! We have cleaned a lot of cr@p up!" they've simply redoubled their reach.   
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

erictank

• friends
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2012, 05:06:07 AM »
The word used was "isotope".  And, somehow, bullet lead is supposed to be a different isotope (atomic weight) from lead used for other things?

Given the number of reloaders who melt down wheel weights, I find that... unlikely.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2012, 08:49:23 AM »
http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/california_condor_lead.shtml

http://news.ucsc.edu/2012/06/condors-and-lead.html

It must just be a big conspiracy to get us poor little gun owners  ;/

Using a head in the sand approach is just asking for the worst possible outcome for us. Instead of working to be part of the solution, in good faith, we become the "enemy".
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 08:56:53 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2012, 09:09:03 AM »
Given the number of reloaders who melt down wheel weights, I find that... unlikely.

Bullet casters are a small minority among shooters.

Chris

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2012, 09:20:52 AM »
Just to be clear, I'm not throwing in with the OMG ban lead ammunition11!! crowd.

What I'm saying is that condors are being poisoned by lead, potentially by carcasses and gut piles left by hunters.

If the hunting, firearm enthusiast and second amendment crowd doesn't become involved in finding a solution(s), a lead ammunition ban is a probability.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2012, 10:56:56 AM »
Just to be clear, I'm not throwing in with the OMG ban lead ammunition11!! crowd.

What I'm saying is that condors are being poisoned by lead, potentially by carcasses and gut piles left by hunters.

If the hunting, firearm enthusiast and second amendment crowd doesn't become involved in finding a solution(s), a lead ammunition ban is a probability.

Well, how about introducing wolves to California to eat the gut piles before the condors can get to them  ???

We've got plenty of extra wolves in Montana  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2012, 06:29:36 AM »
Why doesn't California just pass a law banning Condors from eating gut piles left by hunters?  [popcorn]

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2012, 08:40:54 AM »
Why?

Research how the EPA is forcing power generation plants to close due to unachievable air quality regs. Make sure to wrap your head tightly in duct tape to prevent exploding first.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2012, 02:46:51 PM »

See, .gov should have banned lead shot centuries ago. If its difficult to kill a canadian giant with steel shot, it'll be almost impossible to bag a condor with it.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2012, 06:00:44 PM »

See, .gov should have banned lead shot centuries ago. If its difficult to kill a canadian giant with steel shot, it'll be almost impossible to bag a condor with it.

Ah'm tellin' you, boy, THERE OUGHTA BE A LAW!
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2012, 07:48:35 PM »
If the gov't would just make extinction illegal, the condors wouldn't have a choice.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2012, 10:28:55 PM »

I have no problem killing Canada goose with 3.5" BB steel shot, they drop like rocks when shot over decoys.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2012, 11:41:11 PM »
I have no problem killing Canada goose with 3.5" BB steel shot, they drop like rocks when shot over decoys.

So do the condors  =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2012, 11:12:25 AM »
Dekes are the key, you have to have them in close.
Most of the goose hunting in my part of the state is in what is known as the 'Horicon zone' which has a lot of refuges. Geese are smart and know where the refuges are and get educated really quick as to where the refuge lines are. Hunting on public land usually involves lining up near the refuge line and pass shooting geese. Ducks can be easily be taken with steel, but most people use tungsten/hevi-shot or other other alternatives to steel when hunting geese.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2012, 11:50:43 AM »
So what kind of decoy would one use for condors  ???

A fake gut pile, perhaps...?   =D