Author Topic: The Perfect Day  (Read 1234 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
The Perfect Day
« on: October 04, 2012, 04:33:47 PM »
This is what I'm worried about.  I doubt 1 in 100,000 Americans know anything about the Sepy Mutiny/Rebellion (or any of the details, especially the civilian aspect of it.)

http://rhinoden.rangerup.com/the-perfect-day-by-ltc-dave-grossman-usa-ret/?utm_source=RangerUp.com&utm_campaign=a29aeb8c3f-20120102_RU_PerfectDay9_30_2012&utm_medium=email
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: The Perfect Day
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 05:10:38 PM »
I don't see it.

There's one huge difference between the Sepoy Mutiny/Rebellion of 1857 and America. The English were an occupying empire in their homeland.

For the most part the people Grossman is worried about emigrated here voluntarily to make their lives.  If it were really that likely, I'd think that some sort of mass uprising among the 40-60,000 odd Arab/Muslims who live within the boundaries of Israel proper (not even counting the Palestinaian occupied territories or whatever...) would have happened by now.

I think that the same is true for America. There would have to be a larger provocation and more unrest here than just what's going on "over there" for such a thing to be even remotely possible.

Historically speaking, between the NYC draft riots during the Civil War, and the local Irish pub and it's pickle jar of change for the IRA that many had up until the 90's... As an immigrant group, the Irish have offered the "rest of us" more violence en masse than the Muslim has.

I promise not to duck.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 05:24:20 PM »
In agreement with AJD. Speed of communication is also a condiseration. Barring a planned mass disruption of communication infrastructure, within hours, if not minutes, television, phone lines and the web would be on fire. An army of bitter, clinging Americans would be armed and vigilant. That might be a Perfect Day, but not in the sense Grossman intends.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 12:24:51 AM »
Does he really think this is a possibility or is this just his CHL hero fantasy?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 08:53:15 AM »
There's one huge difference between the Sepoy Mutiny/Rebellion of 1857 and America. The English were an occupying empire in their homeland.

It's never a bad to cut off the head of someone violently occupying and suppressing your country. The whole "consent of the people" thing. Especially when they are trying to keep you systematically disarmed.

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mahatma Gandhi, "Gandhi, An Autobiography", M. K. Gandhi, page 372

LTC Dave Grossman is not overly knowledgeable. As Boris mentioned, Israeli citizens are NOT well armed. Think NJ style regs, only more draconian. There would be no way to tell 1,000 folks in America to "get your jihad on, Nov 16th!" and not have the feds find out. Not possible. Every additional person you tell doubles the risk of exposure. That ONE of those 1,000 folks wouldn't be a fed informant, or have a family member call the feds? Dude, the Underwear bomber was a cell of One Guy, and his dad still called us. A very large number of "terrorist" (more like loonies with delusions of grandeur) are busted by random Muslims picking up the phone and saying "Omar is off his meds and planning something stupid." The majority of the rest of "terrorist" cells are typically FBI sting (or entrapment) operations. You have a very limited number of actually planned, professional terrorist operations.

There is certainly no way to get 1,000 of them into the US. And again, most average Joe American Muslim are not likely to go blow something up because they got an email from the interwebz.

This is an oddly badly written article. I read his On Killing. It was interesting, and had some informative sections. Overall, not a great book but worth the $20 I spent on it. If he wrote this article, I suspect someone helped him write On Killing. Or he's trying to make roll some fearmongering for some odd reason. He didn't strike me as one of the insane "We must killz all the evil Muslims! Arbeit macht frei!"
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 09:43:57 AM »
My copy of "On Killing" is good for making sure people leave me alone on airliners and suchlike when I don't feel like conversing with random friendly strangers.
I promise not to duck.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 03:58:42 PM »
My copy of "On Killing" is good for making sure people leave me alone on airliners and suchlike when I don't feel like conversing with random friendly strangers.
I'll have to remember that.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 04:36:38 PM »
It's best when someone you know and dislike comes up whilst you're reading. "Oh, I was just thinking about you!"