Author Topic: Google Explains Offensive Michelle Obama Image in Search Results  (Read 6195 times)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Google Explains Offensive Michelle Obama Image in Search Results
« on: November 24, 2009, 09:29:39 PM »
Google Explains Offensive Michelle Obama Image in Search Results
Google Uses Ad Space to Explain Why Offensive Image Tops Search Results

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/AheadoftheCurve/google-explains-offensive-michelle-obama-image-search-results/story?id=9165099

By KI MAE HEUSSNER
Nov. 24, 2009—

If you use Google to search for a picture of First Lady Michelle Obama, brace yourself for an unpleasant surprise.

Depending on your Web browser's settings, the first image to surface in Google Image's search engine could be an offensive image of the First Lady ostensibly photo-edited to resemble a monkey.

Originally spotted by Search Engine Roundtable, after a Google user reported it to a Google Web search help forum, the offensive image was apparently hosted by the Web site buzzoverm.blogspot.com.

Google last week removed the image saying the site hosting the image was serving malware to visitors. But, the photo has turned up again, this time on another Web site, a "hot girls" blog.

Google Apologizes in Ad Space

To explain why the offensive image tops Google Image's search results, the Mountain View-based company has posted a message in the advertising space above the image which reads, "Sometimes our search results can be offensive. We agree. Read more."

When you click on the corresponding link an even lengthier message appears.

"Sometimes Google search results from the Internet can include disturbing content, even from innocuous queries. We assure you that the views expressed by such sites are not in any way endorsed by Google," said a message from "The Google Team."

"Search engines are a reflection of the content and information that is available on the Internet. A site's ranking in Google's search results relies heavily on computer algorithms using thousands of factors to calculate a page's relevance to a given query," the statement continued. "The beliefs and preferences of those who work at Google, as well as the opinions of the general public, do not determine or impact our search results."

Individuals and public interest groups periodically ask Google to remove links or change search results, the company said, but the integrity of its search results is an extremely important priority.

Google Will Remove Pages if They Violate Guidelines or if Required by Law

Google added that it will remove pages from results if they violate the company's Webmaster Guidelines or if they are required to do so by law.

"We apologize if you've had an upsetting experience using Google," the message concludes. "We hope you understand our position regarding offensive results."

Barry Schwartz, editor of Search Engine Roundtable, points out on his site that Google offers a similar explanation in the ad space next to search results for "jew," which for a time returned the hate site "Jewwatch" as the highest-ranked site, according to a 2004 post on the Anti-Defamation League's Web site.

Given how powerful Google and other search engines are at driving traffic to Web sites, managers of some sites try to game the system by hiding additional text in a Web site's source code or presenting different content to site visitors than to search engines. But those so-called "black hat" tactics could lead Google to block or otherwise punish a site.

Danny Sullivan, editor of the Web site Search Engine Land, said examples like this highlight the search giant's imperfections.

"When Google tries to rank anything it uses a recipe called a search algorithm," he said, adding that the algorithm considers how people are linking to content across the Web, the words surrounding an image, the words in a file name and other factors.

"They try to cook all this stuff up to come up with what they think is the best result, but in the end they're just guessing," Sullivan said.

A situation like this might prompt Google to look at the factors driving the image to the top of the search results and tweak their recipe.

Sullivan also pointed out that users who have turned their "SafeSearch" setting to "off" might not see the offensive image because the setting allows more images (and more highly-ranked images) to populate the search results.

The "SafeSearch" option allows users to filter explicit sexual content and remove it from search results. The "strict" setting filters both image and ordinary Web search, the "moderate" setting removes the most explicit images from only image search results. Turning the "SafeSearch" setting off results in totally unfiltered searches.

Sullivan also noted that in 2006 Google used ad space when search results offended another political figure: George W. Bush.

Thanks to a high-tech prank, when a user typed "miserable failure" into the Google search box, the top result was President Bush's official White House biography.

Copyright © 2009 ABC News Internet Ventures
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Google Explains Offensive Michelle Obama Image in Search Results
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 10:07:04 PM »
The eleventh image result for "george bush" is a picture that compares him to a monkey.  Prior to that, he flips the bird to the camera a couple of times and eats a kitten. 

No, really, he eats a kitten.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 10:40:57 PM »
My wife still give me grief about about not buying google stock with it's IPO, I'm still glad we didn't.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 11:28:51 AM »
Google automatically indexes third party content.

Unless people expect them to spend their days censoring the results of random searches I don't see how anyone could complain.

I wish I had some Google stock, if you could have been in on the IPO you would be pretty happy right now!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 11:34:37 AM »
Am I a bad person if I've never googled Michelle Obama before, just did so, and giggle-snorted at the resulting monkey picture, then moved on with my life unaffected?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 11:48:37 AM »

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 11:56:26 AM »
Why is Google's business, concern, or responsibility if people arrive at things they find offensive? If you don't want to be offended, don't search the internet. Hey, I am already offended at their taking offense! That's it! Google had better disable the links!  :mad: >:D

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 12:09:35 PM »
Michelle Obama 'racist' picture that is topping Google Images removed

Hot Girls website apologises over 'monkey' picture that had been appearing at the top of Google Images searches

Mark Sweney
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 25 November 2009 13.05 GMT

A blog hosting an offensive image of Michelle Obama with monkey features has removed it and posted an apology.

The image, which has been appearing at the top of search results when the words "Michelle Obama" are put into Google Images, was posted on a blog called Hot Girls, which is hosted by the Google-owned blog service, Blogger.

Hot Girls' owner has today removed the image, which appears to have originally been put up with a blog post on 21 October, and displayed an apology in Chinese with a very loose English translation.

Google had refused to remove the offensive image from its picture search listings, despite complaints that it is racist, instead opting to run an ad next to it explaining its policy on how search engine results work.

A spokesman for Google said that the Hot Girls blog and image may still temporarily appear when some users make Google Images searches but that it was coming out of the search engine's indexing system.

Earlier today Google's ad explaining why it kept the image in search listings was being sporadically replaced by other ads.

A spokesman for Google UK said the company was looking into why that was happening for some users and that it was not a "deliberate" action to remove the explanation.

"We would generally keep it [the explanation] up for as long as the blog [hosting the content] was up," he added.

Google warned, however, that the image of the US first lady could easily reappear in its listings if another blog posted it.

It is not the first time that Google has taken out explanation ads against search queries. In 2004 when searches for the word "Jew" returned antisemitic website results Google responded with a similar approach.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/nov/25/michelle-obama-google-images-removed

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 12:26:46 PM »
I like how Google handled it.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 01:39:30 PM »
Sometimes Google search results from the Internet can include disturbing content, even from innocuous queries.

Once upon a time, in the first page of image hits on the word "love", there was a pic of a guy in some kind of frilly top, basically humping the tailpipe of his pickup.  You get the picture.

I always think of it as "what happens when you loose a really, really stupid bet, on the Internet."
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 05:16:34 PM »
Can someone explain why any picture of MO was on a site called "Hot Girls"?

Once upon a time, in the first page of image hits on the word "love", there was a pic of a guy in some kind of frilly top, basically humping the tailpipe of his pickup.  You get the picture.

Yes, I'm afraid I did.   =|

I like how Google handled it.

Same here.

Daniel964

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 08:53:42 PM »
Anyone have a copy of this picture? I didn't know about it or care till all the hoopla.

myrockfight

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 11:09:48 AM »

I always think of it as "what happens when you loose a really, really stupid bet, on the Internet."

I could have lived a fruitful and happy life without ever having that picture brought up again. Thank you for ruining it!  :'(   =D

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 10:29:33 PM »
Current Google Insights trends: Michelle Obama, Black Friday sales
Relax News
Friday, 27 November 2009
Searches for America's first lady, Michelle Obama, have risen to the top of the trending topics on Google Insights on November 27 at 9:30 AM GMT. (Correction on sahadan)

Approximately two weeks ago an unflattering photo started to appear at the top of Google's Image search when the search term "Michelle Obama" was used. The offending photo had an ape's face superimposed over the top of that of Michelle Obama.

When the photo originally appeared internet search users complained to Google and the image was removed from the search results - but only on the grounds that the website hosting it was also hosting malware viruses. So when the image started to appear on other websites two weeks ago, it was once again included in Google's image search results.

The image has since been removed from most of the websites hosting it but continues to generate public interest, with searches for Michelle Obama increasing by more than 2,500 percent during the last week.

Top searches related to the Michelle Obama image include, "obama monkey", "monkey michelle obama," "michelle obama offensive" and "michelle obama racist."

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2009, 10:38:59 AM »
By making a big deal about it, they ensured that many more people would see it. I, for one, would never have searched for images of Michelle Obama without that news story.
D. R. ZINN

86thecat

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009, 03:42:44 AM »
Just had to do the search and the photo shopped pic came up in "image search". Also this-
 Related searches: michelle obama ape
ouch.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009, 09:27:57 AM »
The monkey/ape thing is offensive. But I swear Michelle Obama looks like James Brown. I'm not kidding.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2009, 10:02:10 AM »
The monkey/ape thing is offensive. But I swear Michelle Obama looks like James Brown. I'm not kidding.

I heard that from a black caller on a talk radio show some months ago.   :lol:

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 10:24:21 AM »

Weak diversionary tactics by the left.  Slight of hand.  Wonder where the other hand is?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2009, 10:26:14 AM »