Author Topic: Books that have changed your life  (Read 8129 times)

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Books that have changed your life
« on: November 28, 2005, 06:05:22 PM »
There was recently a TV show called "Movie Moments That Changed Lives".
We can do that one, too at some point.

Right now, grampster made a suggestion that sparked a book thread along the same lines, though.

What books have you read that have truly made a change in your life, and how?

If you'll permit me, I'd like to put the "primary spiritual books" to the side.
The Bible
The Torah, and Talmud
The Koran
The Bhagavad-Gita
The Necronomicon
The Tibetan Book of the Dead
(I'm sure I missed somebody's spiritual holy book--sorry)
...are all set aside as must-reads, and it's obvious that some or all of them have made maximum impact on humanity.

For me, M. Scott Peck's "The Road Less Travelled" is at the top of the list, because it taught me that
1) Life is Tough
2) Pain is Mandatory, Suffering is Optional.
3) Pain can be managed to an extent, by applying self-discipline.
4) The extent to which you apply self-discipline is the extent to which you can control and alleviate pain in life.

What about you?

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 06:12:30 PM »
The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People has had a big influence in my life.  I try to read it at least every other year.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 06:21:52 PM »
I'll +1 that, plus 7HHE Families has meant alot to me, as well.

MaterDei

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 07:09:58 PM »
Frank Sheed and Peter Kreeft both have written books that have changed my life for the better.  Sheed's "Theology and Sanity" and "To Know Christ Jesus" are fabulous.  My favorite Kreeft book (so far) has been "Three Philosophies of Life: Ecclesiastes, Life As Vanity   Job, Life As Suffering   Song of Songs, Life As Love"

Bill Watterson is also great.  Smiley

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 07:16:45 PM »
Vladimir Nabokov's Ada. William Faulkner's Snopes trilogy.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 07:40:15 PM »
The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind by Julian Jaynes, Ph.D.

The Art of War James Clavell annotated edition, attr. Sun Tzu.

Most of Wm. Faulkner's works.

Most of Anton Chekhov's works.

The History of the Peloponnesian War by Thucydides

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Greg Levy

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 07:46:07 PM »
Can't name one book in particular, but, the author would be Robert Heinlein.  

From The Moon is a Harsh Mistress I learned all about TANSTAAFL.

Stranger in a Strange Land had a lot of great stuff about independent thought and doing things your own way.  I learned that somday I want to be Jubal Harshaw.

Those two books, and his 'Future Histories' books really shaped who I am today.

greg

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 08:03:48 PM »
'The Lord of the Rings' is still an important one for me. So was 'The Scarlet Letter'. I think it mattered to me because at the time I was wrestling with demons. I found a quote by Francois de La Rochefoucald about the same time, and it summed things up nicely: "Almost all our faults are more pardonable than the methods we resort to hide them."  
A book I read a while back called 'The Power of Now' was fairly important to me. Thought it would be a bit contrived and new-age, but really was like practical buddhism. I'm starting to read more things from that area now.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 08:08:39 PM »
Knut Hamsun's Hunger
Pretty much everything by Bukowski, Ibsen, Andrew Marvell, and John Donne
Celine's Journey to the End of the Night
Camus's The Stranger
Ellison's Invisible Man

I have many more that are favorites, but those are the ones that taught me the most about dealing with myself and with other people.  Except Marvell and Donne--they're just for fun but provide me with, word-for-word, more entertainment than anything else on Earth.

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 09:40:36 PM »
"Civil Disobedience" -  Henry David Thoreau

"1984" - George Orwell
"Animal Farm" - George Orwell
"Utopia" - Sir Thomas Moore

"Atlas Shrugged" - Ayn Rand

'The Pillars of the Earth" Follett

Robert Ruark. Everything he wrote.
Hemingway, Faulkner, Edgar Allan Poe, and too many more to name of The Classics.

Nelson DeMille - again another Author in works such a "Plum Island" and "Charm School" - I read everything he writes.

"Shotgunning: The Art and the Science" - Brister
"Score Better at Skeet" Fred Misseldine

The exact title I forget, not handy - My Anatomy and Physiology texts and related Medical texts.

"Unintended Consequenses"-John Ross
"Enemies Foreign and Domestic - Matthew Bracken

These come to mind quickly - there are others...

Steve

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 02:06:31 AM »
"The Scout"   Ion L. Idriess

other authors:

Ayn Rand

Thomas Hardy

If you've read Rand you must counterbalance with Hardy...

I would suggest reading him in order.

I just read Chesty Puller's and Carlos Hathcock's bios. Both very inspiring.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2005, 03:30:47 AM »
Another vote for Unintended Consequences by John Ross

Principles of Personal Defense, and Art of the Rifle by Jeff Cooper

Millionaire Next Door by Thomas Stanley

Seymour Skinner

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2005, 03:36:35 AM »
(I'm sure I missed somebody's spiritual holy book--sorry)
Well, since this is about books that have "changed our lives" and you missed it, I'm going to say it.  The Book of Mormon.  I don't read books, but that one has raw light and intelligence that has helped me with things I couldn't even number.  I have stacks of good hard core informative books that chronical the destruction of liberty in this land since 1913, and the forces behind it, but as interested as I am in that subject, I rarely finish them, and I get more hope from reading the Book of Mormon.  Few know that the Book of Mormon contains little about it's compiler (mormon) and is 90% about what Christ has done/will do to inhabitants of this land if/when they reject correct principles.  Those who love liberty would benefit from reading it, whether they believe in Christ or not.

Those good hard core informative books that have also changed me but I rarely finish:

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 06:15:20 AM »
I have to second Heinlein, especially Starship Troopers.  

Wittgenstein's Philisophical Investigations.
Nietzche's Beyond Good and Evil.
Lord of the Rings.
Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber, and when I was still quite young, C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia.
Everything written by P.J. O'Rourke.
James Gleick's Chaos.
And Shakespeare.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2005, 07:12:32 AM »
Any of C.S. Lewis' non fiction and compiled volumes of his radio addresses.
I think of some others.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Chris

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2005, 07:57:26 AM »
To Kill a Mockingbird.  Real courage means standing up for what's right, even if it means facing a lynch mob.

The books of John Douglas (Mindhunter, Journey Into Darkness, etc.).  Yes, there really are monsters out there.  All I have to do is read one case study to get motivated for a range session.

...has left the building.

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2005, 08:29:49 AM »
-My finance/accounting/econ/etc. assorted books and textbooks
-"Code of the Samurai: A Modern Translation of the Bushido Shoshinshu of Taira Shigesuke"
-"Moving Towards Stillness" by David Lowry
-"Lonesome Dove" by Larry McMurtry
-"The Lord of the Rings" series by Tolkien
-"Romeo and Juliet" by Shakespeare...okay not a book...
-"The Sun Also Rises" by Ernest Hemingway
-"Emotional Intelligence" by Daniel Goleman
-"Wild Swans" by Jung Chang

...and the list goes on

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2005, 09:39:15 AM »
"The TTL Cookbook," by Don Lancaster. Put me on a path I wouldn't otherwise have taken.

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2005, 09:39:46 AM »
Fobert Fulghum's "Kindergarten" series, especially the essay in "Uh-Oh" about Sigmund Wollman. I now have a more grounded perspective on the distinction between a problem and and inconvenience.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

matis

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2005, 08:53:33 PM »
I've been bookish since age 10 or so.

Many authors excited me that no longer do.  Something to do with growing up, which process I delayed as long as possible.

Authors that changed me include Ayn Rand, Robert Heinlein, especially Stranger in a Strange land.

A book that helped me break out was one by Harry Browne: How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World.  I developed the courage to give up a psychotherapy practice a few years after reading his book.  I'd struggled years to go from high-school drop-out (I'm offically still that, though Smiley), going to school nights, working days -- took me years.

At first I loved my work.  But after a few years it became boring. Just why is another story --some of it hilarious.  And I didn't much like my colleagues, nor the milieu.  But who would give up a profession with its prestige and other perks, after struggling so long and hard to get there?  Unheard of.  Some people die in that trap.

I might have broken out, anyway, who can know?

But Harry can sure teach you about breaking out of "boxes".

What actually happened is that I moved gradually from far left to pretty much far right.  Along the way I shed my old infatuations and even my professional interests.

Funny part is that I have NO friends from my days as a professional.

But once I turned to business pursuits (always small-time stuff, I hate fitting in to an organization) the friends I made as soon as I changed my line of work are, some of them, still with me, 20 and 25 years later.

So as a "hustler" and now a landlord, I have close, long-time friends.  Before, not really.  Also was an unhappy person, even depressed before "breaking out".  Never since.  (And I've taken some hard knocks {who hasn't?}, since).

My conclusion: the left-wing philosophy and its associated values cannot sustain happiness, thankfulness, joy.  The "Far RIGHT WING CONSPIRACY" can.  A left-winger looks out over a beautiful vista and must immediately obsess over global warming and habitat encroachment.  I take it in, thank G-d that it's there and that I'm here to see it.

He smokes grass; I get high on life.

One example:  I love the poetry of Dylan Thomas, especially his DON'T GO GENTLE INTO THAT GOOD NIGHT.  I still love it.

But then it spoke FOR me.  I truly raged against many things and had I found myself dying then would certainly have raged at the dying of the (my) light (lotta good it woulda done me, right?).  Now, although I love his poetry, I could keel over even as I type this and I would die happy.  He on the other hand drank himself to death young.

Many of the writers I revered then drank themselves to death or suicided or died in car accidents.  One way or another, they checked out early.  Glad I cut loose from them.  Even Ayn Rand, whom I still value, might have done better (for herself) to have immersed herself in Torah study instead (her "real" name was Alissa Rosenbaum).  Must have been at least something amiss in her philosophy: she died alone and unhappy.

I'm reading 4 -5 books at once right now.  But although I enjoy them they certainly don't count as life-changing.

Authors "left over" from my prior life include Kafka, Camus, Jean Genet, Bertrand Russel.

One I wouldn't recommend to you, but he still moves me.  With his way of seeing and expressing that.  Not his politics -- he was a Communist.  Bertold Brecht.  

Of course he was a Communist who loved $500 suits and $5 cigars (you do the adjustment for inflation).  His play, CAUCASIAN CHALK CIRCLE haunted me.  Still can.  Or his THREE PENNY OPERA.  I loved his irony.

One author who wrote, seemingly, about MY personal life (then) was Franz Kafka.  His books, THE CASTLE and THE TRIAL, but especially his short story A REPORT TO AN ACADEMY got to my core.  I loved most of  his stuff.

Camus, THE PLAGUE stayed with me a long time.  I might still like it.  But his NEVER A VICTIM OR AN EXECUTIONER BE, although I loved it then, leaves me cold now.

I loved OUR LADY OF THE FLOWERS by Jean Genet.  Then.  Probably would no longer identify with his underdogs the same way, now.  His power, though, was incredible.

The authors that excite me now probably wouldn't interest most of you: Rabbi Meir Kahane is one of the most important.  He changed me -- tore me open.

Leon Uris' EXODUS had a lasting effect.

Want to know real joy?  My 17 year old daughter, who is a chip off the old block -- stubborn, tough, but smarter -- on the outside she's polite and charming (but me she gives a terrible hard time) --  much better looking, too! -- she reads some of the books I recommend.  AND SHE LIKES THEM!  Asks if she can keep them!  Now do you see why I can die happy, whenever my lights go out?  She relates to the literature AND to the Judaism.

And I mean JOY!  When that happens with her rockets burst, volcanoes thunder, the earth shakes -- I don't dare tell you what befalls the moon and stars!

So I run to my GF and the poor woman has to absord all this energy.

On the other hand, I get high just looking at her, too.  She thinks she getting older at 53.  I see beauty. femininity, softness ('till she punches me!), pulchritude, darling ways, she's funny, too.  We get off laughing at stuff.  We go nuts laughing together.  That is, of course, when we're not busy yelling at each other.  On the third hand I get high looking at my Alaskan Malamute.  Love my road bike and my truck, too.  I mean just staring at 'em.

I think it's working out fantastic!  Unhappy the first part of my life.  But just look at the mess I've become now.  Much better than the other way 'round.

I love books.  Brought myself up on them.  The authors were surrogate parents.  In the case of books, you CAN choose your parents.  But better be careful which ones you choose.  They'll change you alright.

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2005, 09:19:08 PM »
Lord of the Rings  Tolkien
Rich Dad, Poor Dad  Kiyosaki
Starship Troopers  Heinlein
All Quiet on the Western Front  Remarque
The Bible
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Capteddie

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2005, 09:27:01 PM »
ATLAS SHRUGGED

esheato

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2005, 11:48:38 PM »
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

A book that I never would have thought about if it wasn't for our 30 days of dating.  I'd never seen her or the book before...we started dating and she pleaded with me to read it. It opened my eyes. We broke up and she seemingly vanished. I still have the book. In fact, I've bought many and passed it on to people that I care about.

You see, it's a fable about following your dreams and that is what I'm doing...

Ed

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2005, 09:10:00 AM »

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2005, 09:49:41 AM »
1984 and Animal Farm were both worthwhile.

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad is another good one

I don't know if they have changed my life, but definitely how I look at life.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'