Author Topic: Books that have changed your life  (Read 8128 times)

SpookyPistolero

• friend
Books that have changed your life
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2005, 10:40:59 AM »
Seeing the books people feel are life changing is great, I have recently been in search of a few good reads, and after the semester ends I will be making a worthwhile trip to the library.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Ready on the Right

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2005, 11:28:37 AM »
Atlas Shrugged
There is no such thing as a "deadly weapon", there are only deadly people.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2005, 01:59:11 PM »
My dad, when I was young, told me that reading was the best thing a person could do.  It didn't matter what you read, only that you did so.  He said that it opened the world up for you through the eyes, words and opinions of others.  He died in 1999 at the age of 92.  He saw it all.  He mostly did it all as well.  He was a combat infantryman in WWII as well as a POW for a time.  His life straddled the days of horses and crapping in an outhouse against watching men land upon the moon while we tried to bridge the divides of race and other things that set us apart.  He never finished the 10th grade, but he read everything between dust jackets.  He taught himself algebra, geometry, physics and other sciences late at night when he got home from his job at the Post Office.  He was a master welder and a fisherman par excellance.  He communed with his God on the banks of a trout stream.  He was the best man I ever knew.
So...I can't sit here and tell you titles and authors, only that I read everything, just like he taught me.  Science fiction, mysteries, fiction, non fiction, history and on and on and on.  I am not one for remembering who or why or what, only that I have read and absorbed.  As a result am truly lettered in observation, but a master of nothing.  I am content.  
SWMBO always tells me that other people's opinions that deviate from mine are as strongly held as mine.  I tell her that it's true, but there is a difference.  I am right and they are wrong.  Unless of course they have read more stuff than I. Tongue
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

esheato

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2005, 10:05:06 PM »
Is there a way we can nominate this thread for the Top Ten list? grin

Ed

Bemidjiblade

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2005, 04:11:23 AM »
A Wolf Story, by James Byron Huggins
The Honor Harrington series, by David Weber.
Wild at Heart, by John Eldredge
The Holy Bible, by God.

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2005, 08:10:14 AM »
For the dark side- two books that showed me evil is real- "The people of the Lie", by M.Scott Peck, and "Ordinary Men", the story of German police reserves in Poland- if you ever catch yourself saying "it can't happen here", read this book.

matis

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2005, 04:53:36 PM »
tokugawa,

I've just ordered "Ordinary Men" on half.com

Thanks,

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2005, 06:07:25 PM »
"The Moon is A Harsh Mistress" - Robert Heinlein. TANSTAFL
"The Black Company" - Glen Cook, along with the rest of the Books of the North, Books of the South & Glittering Stone.  
"Rites of Odin" - Ed Fitch (drek though it is, was my first introduction to Ásatrú at the tail end of my Crazy Years)
"Cat's Kingdom" - Jeremy Angel. This is what I want to do when I grow up, keep hundreds of cats.
"Molecular Biology of the Gene" - James D. Watson.  Stumbled across an earlier edition of this in High School, set my feet on the path that still dominates my life today.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2005, 07:36:22 PM »
A Spell for Chameleon by Piers Anthony

I read that book when I was 12 or 13... Before I read that book I despised reading.  Now I am an avid reader and have trouble putting books down.  If it wasnt for that book, I dont know if I would have ever found my niche, and may have not become such a prolific reader.  Being a book worm defines a major part of who I am.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2005, 11:24:22 PM »
Read every book you can find that's ever been banned.  That's where all the really good stuff is.  Anything described as "satire" and/or "subversive" is probably also good.

Ayn Rand
RA Heinlein
Aldous Huxley
George Orwell
Mark Twain
Neal Stevensons 'Baroque Cycle'
de Tocqueville
The Federalist/Anti-Federalist papers
Antonio Gramsci's Prison Notebooks (creepy in the same way 1984 is creepy, but REAL!)
CS Lewis
JRR Tolkein (The Silmarillian is even better than Lord of the Rings)
Alan Eckert (The Frontiersmen is one of the best books I've ever read )
Philip K Dick
F Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack series
Any of the classics, especially Shakespear (Most suck, but they're all worth reading anyway)

Any book that teaches you how to do something; read as many as you can, no matter what they're about.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2005, 11:40:47 PM »
We oughta start a book-swap thing.  If you really believe that one of your books is life changing, why not offer it up to someone else?

I'll mail the following books to anyone who''ll read them:

Time Enough for Love - RA Heinlein
Stranger in a Strange Land - RA Heinlein
We the Living - Ayn Rand
The Frontiersmen - Alan Eckert

All I ask is that you mail something worthwile to me, and that you send my books back to me when you're done.

Anyone interested?

esheato

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2005, 05:04:53 AM »
I'll offer up my copy of The Alchemist to anyone that wants it. In fact, if it tickles your ticklin' spot, you're welcome to keep it. My little way of sharing a favorite.

Ed

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2005, 06:15:36 AM »
Ed, Dibs on the Alchemist???  I'll email you more info.

...I'll also be happy to pass it on once finished.

esheato

• friend
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2005, 03:00:00 PM »
Felonious,

It's yours.

Got your email and it will be in the mail tomorrow. Smiley

Ed

Ron

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2005, 03:35:29 PM »
Felonious,
               Big +1 on The Road Less Traveled.  Many books have influenced me but none have had such a profound influence on my behavior like that one. Absolutey the right book at the right time for me. I read excerpts in the paper and went out and bought it.

Only one book has meant more to me and that would be the King James Bible.

Tom Sawyer was a fav I reread as a kid numerous times, Atlas Shrugged, works by CS Lewis and Francis A Schaeffer all get mentions as influential.

esheato

• friend
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2005, 03:41:29 PM »
I can't avoid the glowing recommendations of Atlas Shrugged anymore. I'm also interested in The Road Less Traveled. If anyone is willing to share, I'd be greatly appreciative. Smiley

Ed

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2005, 03:59:46 PM »
Ed,
I've bought more than one copy of Road over the years, but 99% of my book collection is still in boxes in a storage unit.  Let me dig around and see if I can unearth one of my copies, so I can share.  I'll let you know if I come across it.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2005, 07:22:04 AM »
M*A*S*H
Ken Follet
Ian Fleming
Robert Ludlum

...er, Playboy...
One day at a time.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2005, 12:01:27 PM »
Headless,
Did you know Allan Eckert has a group of books?  I have The Frontiersman.  A friend who is a Revolutionary War historian gave me the titles of the other Eckert books but I mislaid them.  I gotta get em again and find out if they can still be purchased.  Do you want to have the titles if I can get them?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2005, 01:41:07 PM »
I've read all of Eckert's narratives, and they're all great.  The Frontiersmen is the one that mattered the most to me, because it takes place where I live (the Ohio River valley).  It gave me an incredible new appreciation for the land I've been living on my entire life.

If you live within 200 miles of the Ohio River you absolutely must read The Frontiersmen.

If you live elsewhere, you should find the appropriate Eckert narrative for your area and read it.  Better yet, just read all of them, in order.  They will make you appreciate your country in a whole new way.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2005, 06:22:25 PM »
If you live within 200 miles of the Ohio River you absolutely must read The Frontiersmen.
I am within walking distance of the river. A quick glance at the notes for this book sounds like a read of local landmarks. George Rogers Clark, William Henry Harrison, all of that is within walking/short driving distance.

This one just got added to the must read list.

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2005, 07:54:59 PM »
Another vote for neal stephenson's baroque cycle: the power of knowledge.

All holy books, judeo-christian especially. Essential influences to forming my moral code.

However, Neil Gaiman's "American God's" taught me that it's the belief that holds the power, not the recipient thereof.

I always can't bring to mind what Fight Club taught me, but I remember it having a huge effect.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

SkunkApe

• friend
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2005, 09:41:06 PM »
Quote from: grampster
My dad, when I was young, told me that reading was the best thing a person could do.  It didn't matter what you read, only that you did so.  He said that it opened the world up for you through the eyes, words and opinions of others.  He died in 1999 at the age of 92.  He saw it all.  He mostly did it all as well.  He was a combat infantryman in WWII as well as a POW for a time.  His life straddled the days of horses and crapping in an outhouse against watching men land upon the moon while we tried to bridge the divides of race and other things that set us apart.  He never finished the 10th grade, but he read everything between dust jackets.  He taught himself algebra, geometry, physics and other sciences late at night when he got home from his job at the Post Office.  He was a master welder and a fisherman par excellance.  He communed with his God on the banks of a trout stream.  He was the best man I ever knew.
So...I can't sit here and tell you titles and authors, only that I read everything, just like he taught me.  Science fiction, mysteries, fiction, non fiction, history and on and on and on.  I am not one for remembering who or why or what, only that I have read and absorbed.  As a result am truly lettered in observation, but a master of nothing.  I am content.  
SWMBO always tells me that other people's opinions that deviate from mine are as strongly held as mine.  I tell her that it's true, but there is a difference.  I am right and they are wrong.  Unless of course they have read more stuff than I. Tongue
Thanks for that, Grampster.  Reminds me of my mother, in that she always encourgaed me to read.  As a child, I had a bedtime, but  was allowed to read in bed as late as I wanted.  So many nights I fell asleep with the headboard lamp on and a book on my chest.  I still do it today.  The greatest gift my mother ever gave me was the encouragement to read.

Like you, Grampster, I've read many books (probably not as many), but the only one I can say really changed my life was Atlas Shrugged.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2005, 11:22:48 PM »
The only way ATlas Shrugged changed my life is by burning up about 30 more hours to read a story that could be told in a 45 minute read.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

peteinct

• friend
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2005, 05:21:18 AM »
One book that really  influenced me was Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.
It was sort of a hippie bible but there is a lot of value in it. It talks about values and it had a great affect on me. pete