Author Topic: Terry Jones, Asymmetrical Warrior  (Read 9378 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Terry Jones, Asymmetrical Warrior
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2010, 09:03:34 PM »
Regarding the Nuke Power comment, how much would the oil market really be affected by nuclear power?  I don't see us burning oil to produce electrical power.  Now if you want to start talking about natural gas, that is another issue.

Consider this:

Suppose [this wouldn't happen overnight] the US replaced all its natural gas, coal, and oil-fired power plants with nuclear plants. Prices of coal and natural gas woild fall (meaning other countries and consumers  would purchase more of it), leading people to switch away from oil.

Because nearly half of US' power generation is coal (44.9%) and 23.4% of it is natural gas,  that would be a big thing. Further, compact and cheap nuclear power will increase the viability of electric vehicles.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2010, 11:14:19 PM »
The single largest use for crude in the US is, by far, gasoline. They have a long way to go yet, but electric cars are the single greatest route to energy independence we have. I DO NOT think they should replace gasoline cars, however, nor do I like politicians "social engineering" through taxes and regs. But seriously, cars like the Volt (plug-in series hybrids) are probably one of the best ways to unshackle us from the Middle East.

Pure electrics are fine for "in-town only" types (and gearheads!), gas or diesel would still be fine for rural folks (and gearheads!), but most people would be fine with hybrids (and gearheads! see the pattern? :D).

Performance, cost, and other things still need to advance a bit first, though. Like getting away from the rarer elements. (I'm looking at you, Li!)
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2010, 12:08:32 AM »
Plus, there's no reason we couldn't also go to thorium reactors too. Way more common than Uranium in the ground, it's everywhere...

And IMO, human civilization is going to need petrochemicals for fertilizers, pesticides, plastics, lubricants, medicines and an almost uncountable number of other things in the long run more than we're going to need to be burning them in cars.
I promise not to duck.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2010, 12:25:12 PM »
WRT the OP's thesis, I think some folks are missing the forest for the jihadi propaganda.

We are in the ME/Muslim world today. We were there yesterday, we'll be there tomorrow.  (Historically speaking.)

We've (the USA) been there since the birth of the nation (Barbary Pirates). 

[Western Civ has been in the ME since before Christ, given that Christianity (and therefore Judaism) are fundamental building blocks of Western Civ.  Western Civ has been menaced by Islam since it broke out of the Arabian peninsula in the 8th Century.]

The formula goes like this:
1. Nutjob Muslims take the Koran, Haditha, and contemporaneous histories of Mohammed seriously.
2. NJs start to threaten and/or destroy American interests in the name of their god.
3. America takes it in the shorts for a while and finally gets fed up.
4. America sends armed forces to kill the jihadi scum and occupy for more or less time.
5. American armed forces leave and eventually new idiots begin to take the Koran, Haditha, and contemporaneous histories of Mohammed seriously...

Now, I have a dark view of human nature and expect that the Western Civ will have to periodically slap down the savages, drain the swamp, push back the verge, whatever.  Western Civ will do so until it commits civilizational suicide or the eschaton, whichever comes first.

But, what if there were other means to kill back the jihadi weeds with less risk to civilized peoples?  Would not that be better than shipping our men & women over to some dunghill country to kill goat-humping fools with visions of martyrdom dancing in their heads?

Something like the Iran/Iraq war (which kept both from getting too frisky with the West), distributed enough draw in the jihadis and turn them into fertilizer.  Like a regional bug zapper.  Or, maybe just at the country level, pitting domestic extremist vs domestic extremist, sort of a Mohammedian Spy vs Spy.

The Muslim world is split enough, crazy enough, and paranoid enough that such an indirect approach is likely to keep them occupied...and make the direct kill-and-accupy approach less likely.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2010, 12:59:07 PM »
It has been opined that the Iranian drive for WMD is to actually deal with Israel, and Saudi Arabia, thereby establishing themselves as the "Leader of the Muslim World", and coincidently controlling lion's share of the oil coming from the ME.  Any conflict that results in that outcome would be bad for Western interests.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2010, 01:01:42 AM »
OK, roo_ster, but Anne Coulter still had a better strategy.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

PTK

• friends
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2010, 01:19:28 AM »
IMHO, its a brilliant idea, but because of our reliance on the ME for oil, any private individual pursuing such an agenda would probably be arrested. The Goobermint would probably never try such a stunt.

Don't worry about the oil thing.  President Obama is on the job.  An offshore drilling moratorium and making it much more difficult to get permits to drill will really help reduce our dependence on foreign oil.    ...wait...what?   ???

It bugs me to read comments such as these - it's a simple numbers game, and one that not many look into without simply parroting "facts" they've heard. Frankly, it smacks of uninformed folks talking of "machine guns" where we can plainly see a semi-auto.

18.9% as of 2008, and 16.4% as of 2009! That's how much we get from the ME. Seems to me we'd be better off buying from folks who AREN'T actively supporting those trying to kill us...

Heck, we get more oil from Mexico than we do from the ME, and nearly twice that from Canada. Again, I just don't see the reasoning behind arguments such as these.

Now, to be ignored. ;)

Back to your regularly scheduled program. :P
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2010, 02:03:15 AM »
But you're only counting the percentage imported from SA and Iraq, while over 20% of imports are labeled as "Other."  Don't you need to know who the others are, before you can draw that conclusion?

PTK

• friends
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2010, 02:04:59 AM »
I sure do need to know those numbers! That's why I went to the source website and looked for myself, as well as gleaning the 2009 numbers. ;)

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2010, 02:11:54 AM »
Oh, OK.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2010, 08:05:39 AM »
If other states, more heavily dependent on oil from the ME are deprived of that resource, they will bid up the price of oil for all of us.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2010, 11:46:36 AM »
Total production figures of crude oil from the ME are lower than you'd think.

7,095.60 million barrels/year. all of the Middle East (Bahrain, Iran, Iraq, Qatar, Saudia Arabia, UAE) ~26.90% of world production.
1,938.15 million barrels/year, US, ~7.35% of world production.

26,374.90 million barrels/year, total world production, with a large portion being used domestically in producing countries.

Also, it's amusing to note that the ME imports nearly all of their gasoline, with Saudi Arabia alone importing 406.61 million barrels of crude each day; that's a whopping 13.5% of what they export!

Once again, all my data comes directly from the EIA. :)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2010, 10:50:34 PM »
Disrupting them by burning their book so they will not disrupt us; sounds like a battle over who's God is better to me.  I'll pass, it doesn't bother me who they worship.

In actuality, it can be argued that all monotheistic religions worship the same god, all that changes is the name by which they call him/her/it. After all, monotheism says there is only one god. If there is only one god, then any religion that recognizes only one god must be worshiping the same god. I don't really care that Muslims call God "Allah" instead of "Y_hw_h," and it doesn't bother me that they choose to regard Mohamed as the ultimate prophet of God's word rather than Jesus, or even that they use the Q'uran as their holy book instead of the Holy Bible. However, it DOES bother me that they think I should be killed because I do NOT choose to believe that Mohamed was the ultimate prophet of God's word. It also bothers me that they can burn Bibles with impunity, but they don't think non-Muslims should burn Q'urans.

Mostly it's that wantin' to kill me because I'm a Christian that bothers me. In fact, that bothers me quite a bit.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2010, 12:03:55 AM »
If there is only one god, then any religion that recognizes only one god must be worshiping the same god.

From a Christian perspective, if a person denies that Jesus of Nazareth is God Incarnate, we can know with certainty that they are not worshiping the Christian God. The Apostle John referred to such people as "antichrist."
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 12:34:55 AM by Fistful »

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2010, 05:47:04 AM »
In actuality, it can be argued that all monotheistic religions worship the same god, all that changes is the name by which they call him/her/it.

Not hardly....that's like saying Hawkmoon and fistful are just the same type of APS member...just the names are different....

Mostly it's that wantin' to kill me because I'm a Christian that bothers me. In fact, that bothers me quite a bit.

Me too....that's a trait that kinda transcends the different-religion thing....I'd feel the same way about a person whether they're Muslim or athiest or even Christian...
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

taurusowner

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2010, 06:59:19 AM »
and it doesn't bother me that they choose to regard Mohamed as the ultimate prophet of God's word rather than Jesus,

Christians do not believe that Jesus was the ultimate prophet of God's word.  Christians believe Jesus is God.  Muslims do not.  Therefore, they are not worshiping the same god.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2010, 12:18:45 PM »
PTK, its hardly ignorance.  Statistics only bear out part of the story.
We're depending on the ME for at least 16% of our oil.  But its more complicated than that, too. Many other western countries get oil from the ME. 
So, if we lose a portion or all of that oil in a conflict, most likely so will our allies (and presumably some of them get more than 16% of their oil from the ME).
Those allies would then turn to our other sources to get oil. This would lead to a spike in demand.
So, a loss of 16% of our oil will not result in a 16% spike in prices.
In the short term, it would create rationing and panic.
In the long term, who knows how much prices would rise.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

PTK

• friends
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2010, 01:18:46 PM »
...presumably some of them get more than 16% of their oil from the ME...

On what, precisely, is this presumption based?

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
On what, precisely, is this presumption based?

Distance.  We get 30% of our imported oil (according to your chart) from sources in our own hemisphere.  The assumption would be that oil imported to Europe would likely come from closer to home, which for them is the ME.  Even if, for argument's sake, they import roughly the same percentage as us from the ME...demand is demand.  Decreasing 16% of the supply across the board would suck.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2010, 02:30:45 PM »
From a Christian perspective, if a person denies that Jesus of Nazareth is God Incarnate, we can know with certainty that they are not worshiping the Christian God. The Apostle John referred to such people as "antichrist."

Now you're getting into the issue of the nature of the Trinity, and not all Christian denominations agree on that. From any number of your posts I have the impression that you are more or less a fairly fundamental Christian, but within the broad category of "Christian" there are perspectives other than yours. And this is probably not the appropriate forum (ior at least not the appropriate thread) to conduct that discussion.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

PTK

• friends
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2010, 02:52:07 PM »
Distance.  We get 30% of our imported oil (according to your chart) from sources in our own hemisphere.  The assumption would be that oil imported to Europe would likely come from closer to home, which for them is the ME.  Even if, for argument's sake, they import roughly the same percentage as us from the ME...demand is demand.  Decreasing 16% of the supply across the board would suck.

No offense whatsoever intended, but... come on. Numbers and sources, or I'll be bowing out of this half-hearted debate and away from your "facts".

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2010, 04:01:55 PM »
No offense whatsoever intended, but... come on. Numbers and sources, or I'll be bowing out of this half-hearted debate and away from your "facts".

According to this site, the EU gets 30% of its oil from OPEC countries

http://ec.europa.eu/energy/observatory/oil/import_export_en.htm
OPEC Member Countries:
Algeria Angola Ecuador Iran Iraq Kuwait Libya Nigeria Qatar Saudi Arabia United Arab Emirates Venezuela

How is 16% not reliance?  That is over one tenth of our oil sources from the ME.  You can't tell me that wouldn't negatively impact our economy. 
JD

PTK

• friends
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2010, 04:09:27 PM »
JamisJockey,

I wasn't saying it isn't reliance, I simply wanted numbers and sources. I hate when I post lots of numbers, sources, and conclusions drawn from same, and then in reply I get "well, I think...", or "presumably...", or "obviously...". It's just... lame. :D

Thanks for a source! I'll need time to peruse it. :)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2010, 04:56:41 PM »
Now you're getting into the issue of the nature of the Trinity, and not all Christian denominations agree on that. From any number of your posts I have the impression that you are more or less a fairly fundamental Christian, but within the broad category of "Christian" there are perspectives other than yours. And this is probably not the appropriate forum (ior at least not the appropriate thread) to conduct that discussion.

Since when do we talk about anything in the appropriate thread?   :lol:  Again, from a Christian perspective, Jesus is God.  Disagreement with that places a person outside "the broad category of 'Christian.'"  Beyond that, I can only agree to disagree with you.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2010, 05:17:15 PM »
Since when do we talk about anything in the appropriate thread?   :lol:  Again, from a Christian perspective, Jesus is God.  Disagreement with that places a person outside "the broad category of 'Christian.'"  Beyond that, I can only agree to disagree with you.

As a dirty atheist scum heathen, I've got to regretably take Fistfuls side on this one :facepalm:
Christian means you recognize Jesus as God, through the Trinity.  If not, then a religion might follow Christ, but not actually be Christian. 
JD