Author Topic: Comedians lost and forgotten  (Read 7812 times)

grislyatoms

• friends
Comedians lost and forgotten
« on: January 04, 2011, 02:50:33 AM »
Ray Stevens - the original "Larry the Cable Guy" and Jeff Foxworthy rolled into one
Don Rickles
Redd Foxx

others?
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

grislyatoms

• friends

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Comedians lost and forgotten
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 05:50:00 AM »
Henny Youngman.  A true craftsman and the author of a lot of one-liners still in use today.

Take my wife... please.

I played a great horse yesterday! It took seven horses to beat him.

I told the doctor I broke my leg in two places. He told me to quit going to those places.

You know why divorces cost so much?  They're worth it.

<rim shots>

I'm pretty sure he's the one who came up with "Doc, it hurts when I do this." / "So stop doing that."
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 11:04:31 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 07:22:26 AM »
Jerry Clower.

Chris

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 07:39:52 AM »
Hudson and Landry
Hudson and Landry in a shortened, animated version of "The Prospectors".
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 07:43:26 AM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Owens

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 07:42:56 AM »
Red Skelton - an alltime class act all the way around.
Justin Wilson
Life Member NRA, TSRA

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 07:44:04 AM »

Saw Red Skelton live at the Arizona State Fair many years ago.  He was the best.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 08:08:48 AM »
Red Skelton - Big thumbs up.

Don't know Jerry Clower or Hudson and Landry - I'll take a listen.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 08:12:49 AM »
Foster Brooks
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 08:16:25 AM »
"I'm pretty sure he's the one who came up with "Doc, it hurts when I do this." / "So stop doing that."

Not much experience with Henny Youngman sorry to say - I was always led to believe the Doc bit was Groucho Marx.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 09:31:42 AM »
George Carlin

Bill Cosby

Tim Conway

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 09:51:54 AM »
Groucho Marx.  Ok, so he didn't officially do stand-up, but who are we kidding, the movies were mostly just to provide a setting for Groucho's comedy.

Mentioned the Marx brothers to someone a while back, she couldn't figure out why I was such a fan of communism.  :facepalm:

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 10:08:28 AM »
Carol Burnett -she did some stand-up, but was more of a comedic actress, known for short skits. (Though I didn't like her Eunice & Mama routines.)

George Burns

Bob Hope (More of a comedic actor, but did some good stand-up, especially with his USO shows.)

W.C. Fields (WAY before my time - his routines varied between hilarious and rotten.)

Dave Allen (Irish comedian, I remember him for his briefly-televised show Dave Allen At Large. I found him consistently funnier than Benny Hill, who was just silly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia178T1i8ss&feature=related )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 10:59:18 AM »
Jonathan Winters. His mind was warped enough that things just sprung out of it.

I always liked David Brenner, although he wasn't a pioneer.

Lenny Bruce was funny, and was a pioneer, although not necessarily in areas that I'd approve of today.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 11:28:53 AM »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 11:29:04 AM »
Bill Cosby

I still laugh while watching "Bill Cosby: Himself".  That concert has to be nearly 30 years old by now. 

When my wife was pregnant with our first child, I rented it because it covered a lot about childbirth and raising kids.  She laughed so much, I thought she was going to squirt the kid out right there. :D

Not only a funny guy, but a smart one as well. 

Chris

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 11:35:18 AM »
I still laugh while watching "Bill Cosby: Himself".  That concert has to be nearly 30 years old by now. 

When my wife was pregnant with our first child, I rented it because it covered a lot about childbirth and raising kids.  She laughed so much, I thought she was going to squirt the kid out right there. :D

Chris

A comedian has never made me laugh as hard as Bill in that show.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 11:41:22 AM »
Carol Burnett -she did some stand-up, but was more of a comedic actress, known for short skits. (Though I didn't like her Eunice & Mama routines.)

George Burns and Gracie Allen

Bob Hope (More of a comedic actor, but did some good stand-up, especially with his USO shows.)

W.C. Fields (WAY before my time - his routines varied between hilarious and rotten.)

Dave Allen (Irish comedian, I remember him for his briefly-televised show Dave Allen At Large. I found him consistently funnier than Benny Hill, who was just silly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia178T1i8ss&feature=related )

Fixed
I still laugh while watching "Bill Cosby: Himself".  That concert has to be nearly 30 years old by now.  

When my wife was pregnant with our first child, I rented it because it covered a lot about childbirth and raising kids.  She laughed so much, I thought she was going to squirt the kid out right there. :D

Chris

Definitely one of the funniest men ever born. Imagine trying to remain still when my favorite hottie dentist starts doing Bill's "Smobaboke coming out of my mouth!" routine while she is grinding on my molar!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 11:49:58 AM »
while she is grinding on my molar!

That's an interesting dance.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 11:54:14 AM »
I just checked, BC: Himself is 28yo this year.  Dayum.

Some quotes in case anyone is interested: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083652/quotes

Just reading through them, I was chuckling. :D

Chris

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 01:21:22 PM »
Sam Kineson.

Rest in peace - I hope you found in death the tranquility that eluded you in life..... :'(
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 02:09:52 PM »
I just checked, BC: Himself is 28yo this year.  Dayum.

Some quotes in case anyone is interested: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083652/quotes

Just reading through them, I was chuckling. :D

Chris

"How long can you tread water?"

"Lord, what's a cubit?"

And my all-time favorite from an album I can't remember the name of:  the schtick he did about ordering from the speaker-thingy at the drive-thru, ending with the speaker-thingy saying "...and six beers" and Bill saying "We'll take it!"

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 02:18:55 PM »
For Christmas, I got my dad the Dean Martin Roasts.  Ten Dvd's in the initial pack then one a month from there on out.  We were rolling on the floor...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 03:03:32 PM »
Total reading fail on my part at first.

Getting deeper and deeper in this thread, I'm thinking to myself, "WTF? These guys weren't Canadian!"

:facepalm:
I promise not to duck.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 03:11:34 PM »

Flip Wilson

Jonathan Winters

Sid Cesar

Jimmy Durante

Dom DeLuise

Shelley Berman ("Flying is the safest way to fly." "They have seatbelts on airplanes in case the plane comes to a sudden stop ... like against a mountain.")
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 03:15:00 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design