Author Topic: Crap...the house furnace has died  (Read 11776 times)

Sawdust

• friend
Crap...the house furnace has died
« on: January 09, 2014, 01:08:55 PM »
Cracks in the heat exchanger, so the thing is unplugged and the gas off. Good thing it's not too cold yet.

The whole system (which is 25 years old), consisting of a furnace, coil, and a separate split system air conditioner needs to be replaced.

One installer is recommending a few system options with Carrier components ranging from $6200 to $9500...is Carrier still making good stuff?

Need this expense right now like a hole in the head.  :mad: :'(

Sawdust

Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Crap...the house furnace has died
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 02:41:12 PM »
Well, with Santa Anas starting again Monday, you're gonna need AC before you need the furnace. :)

Still a bummer about the expense.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 03:09:17 PM »
"Need this expense right now like a hole in the head."

ain't it always the way....

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 03:44:38 PM »
What we did was buy infrared quartz heaters for each end of the house.  We actually saved money the electric bill went up, but the gas bill went down.  The gas was more expensive than electricity to use.  Then in the spring when heater guys were hungry for work, it was cheaper to fix.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 03:51:13 PM »
Well, with Santa Anas starting again Monday, you're gonna need AC before you need the furnace. :)

Still a bummer about the expense.

Yeah, no kidding, lol.

The relatively warm weather has taken some of the sting and urgency away.

But I can't lag too much; all of a sudden, karma's going to throw a cold snap at us, and I won't be able to get the work done 'cause everyone will be on service calls.

Sawdust

or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 03:56:01 PM »

"is Carrier still making good stuff?"

The furnaces seem ok. Haven't been pleased with their package units of late but I haven't bought anything else in the last couple years to compare them to. I don't know if a general decline or just Carrier.

You may be able to just replace the furnace for now & as long as the furnace is compatable with whatever "A" coil you put in you can do the AC later.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 04:12:44 PM »
When I first moved into my house I'm in, only 1 of the 2 air handlers was a heat pump.  The other was AC only.

Makes sense for AZ I guess, but the front half of the house would get real cold in December through February.  I'd wake up and the thermostat would say mid-60's in that part of the house, meaning the kitchen and laundry room (farthest and most isolated) might even be in the high 50's.

For the first 2 years I augmented those handful of cold months with an electric heater.  It ran up the electric bill a skosh, but I could warm up that ~700 square foot area to tolerable levels with 1 electric unit.

Now I've got a nice new heat pump that replaced the AC-only unit, and it's a non issue.  But I was able to get by without it for quite some time.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 07:10:56 PM »
Not sure about Carrier anymore. They were ok but their customer service to me the contractor went down the tubes. I tried York, they kinda sucked too. Now I'm into American Standard and they seem OK. So to me, I haven't found anything out there that trips my trigger. AS now because the supplier here is very good and the prices are decent. carried IS the high priced spread. You might try Bryant which is Carrier but cheaper. Goodman is another decent mid level setup.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 07:39:31 PM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Lee

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 07:49:31 PM »
I went with a whole new Goodman system last year. It's been great. The house is much more comfortable than before, and it's very quiet.
They get very mixed reviews online, but I've been very happy. I think that 99% of the issues people have are simply due to a poor installation. I looked at some HVAC technician forums before I made the decision. A new State if the art manufacturing site, K.I.S.S. design, and parts availability to any service tech, were pluses for Goodman.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 09:41:40 PM »
Goodman is a pretty good seller down here due to the price point. I haven't had to service a single one I have installed. Must mean a good install.  =D  I usually have a hand from a friend on the bigger jobs.

They pay pretty good for a compressor replacement in warranty. Power surge or lightening strike on someone else's install. They didn't want the installer back out so I had to do some fancy paperwork to get it taken care of since I didn't do warranty for them at the time. Funny thing, they said it never worked as good from the day it was new as it does now after I had ahold of it.

I've taken refrigerant out of many units around here to bring the subcooling/superheat into line. The customers are surprised it could work better and there power bill can go down with less refrigerant in it. More is better doesn't work in this field.

Quality of installation and service is much more important than brand.

jim

280, kinda curious about your York problems. I've been happy with the Luxaire, York with a different sticker in the bag.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

280plus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 10:12:46 PM »
Bought into a couple of their 98% furnaces. Both had leaky flue gas condensate pans (the CLEAR ones not the black) and I have also changed a combustion blower motor and gas valve on one of them as well. Plus the local supplier couldn't get an order straight to save their lives but that's not York, just a crappy supply house.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 02:29:01 PM »
Not sure about Carrier anymore. They were ok but their customer service to me the contractor went down the tubes. I tried York, they kinda sucked too. Now I'm into American Standard and they seem OK. So to me, I haven't found anything out there that trips my trigger. AS now because the supplier here is very good and the prices are decent. carried IS the high priced spread. You might try Bryant which is Carrier but cheaper. Goodman is another decent mid level setup.

isn't goodman was the same internals as carrier, just different marketing?  the last carrier i installed was in 2006.  it has worked well, and is as good as anything out there.

no-one sells a heat exchanger for your unit?  also, as mentioned above, you could install the furnace now and the a/c later to help absorb costs.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 03:08:14 PM »
isn't goodman was the same internals as carrier, just different marketing?  the last carrier i installed was in 2006.  it has worked well, and is as good as anything out there.

no-one sells a heat exchanger for your unit?  also, as mentioned above, you could install the furnace now and the a/c later to help absorb costs.

My residential buddy has switched from Bryant and Carrier to Goodman. There was spell a few summers ago where even as a dealer Carrier couldn't get him equipment due to high demand. That's when he terminated his useless dealer status and started using Goodman, he never looked back.

Carrier rooftop package units were junk at the lower price points and only slightly better built at the higher price points. If you took more than two panels off the units they would lose structural integrity and lean!

isn't goodman was the same internals as carrier, just different marketing?
   That would be Bryant; although York in their infinite stupidity had copied some of Carriers worse ideas, like pilot runner tubes that rust and plug up.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 05:31:32 PM »
My evaporator coil is bad, too. The leakge from it is what looks like to be the cause of my furnace being ridden with rust.

So, I am doomed to replace the whole system. I know that I could do the compressor later, but it runs on Freon, and would have to convert the new coil.

I think a matched system is just the way to go.

Cry once, and all that rot.  :'(

Sawdust

or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 06:04:11 PM »
My evaporator coil is bad, too. The leakge from it is what looks like to be the cause of my furnace being ridden with rust.

So, I am doomed to replace the whole system. I know that I could do the compressor later, but it runs on Freon, and would have to convert the new coil.

I think a matched system is just the way to go.

Cry once, and all that rot.  :'(

Sawdust

Don't cry too much.  You may be pleasantly surprised at the utility savings.  I swapped out my system about ten years ago.  The savings paid for it in about four years.  Mine was only a 13 SEER so you will likely see even more impressive results.  You might think about adding some blown-in attic insulation while your at it (if you haven't already).  Probably the single cheapest way to improve your utility efficiency.

Go ahead and bite the bullet on a full, matched system.  No use putting off the inevitable, and you'll know the systems is good to go from day one.  Besides, trying to piecemeal the thing together over time is not only a gold-plated invitation for trouble, it's more expensive overall.

Brad
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 06:09:57 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 06:05:15 PM »
i think what tripphammer was suggesting is to replace the furnace and install an empty plennum that will hold a future evaporator to be purchased when you do the compressor.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 09:11:42 PM »
This

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 09:24:27 PM »
The markup on stuff (that I don't sell) is amazing.

Before we sold our last house, I had a new furnace and A/C system installed. My BIL runs a heating HVAC company, so we got the stuff at cost, and paid one of his guys to do it on a weekend. A bit over $2000 for parts and labor.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2014, 11:34:08 AM »
Looks like you sell the wrong stuff!  :P

:angel:

What brand and what sizes. And where the hell are you anyways? 

280plus

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2014, 11:35:46 AM »
I mean a high efficiency 5 ton condenser, 16 SEER we'll say, will run me about $2000 plus tax all by itself. So it's a relative thing.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2014, 11:38:54 AM »
You will pay a lot more for Carrier and the other big name guys. Not only initially but if they ever need parts.

That is another thing nice about Goodman. More off the shelf parts are used making repairs later down the road less expensive.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 12:29:20 PM »
Looks like you sell the wrong stuff!  :P

:angel:

What brand and what sizes. And where the hell are you anyways? 

It was a 2.5 ton compressor. Furnace was a good quality brand recommended by BIL. I don't remember the size of the furnace or brand. Not important to me now, as I sold the house in WI and moved to AL.

Quotes I got from other contractors were well north of $5000, with some over $8000.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2014, 01:05:01 PM »
Well, you got a good deal that's for sure. ;)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 03:34:12 PM »
I was told a rule of thumb for the cost of A/C is $1000 a ton. That was back in the 90's, when I paid $12,000 for two 5 ton units, a 2.5 ton, and the air handlers for them. The two 75' lengths of ductwork I got months later cost a few cents, too.

I don't know if there's a rule of thumb for BTU's.