Author Topic: RIP. Marine...  (Read 6832 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: RIP. Marine...
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2014, 04:46:42 PM »
He has an will, I assume.  I hope.  Everything will go a lot faster if so.   Talk to the executor.  You'd do the whole through the FFL thing, of course.

According to BATFEIEIO and CalGuns (see link posted above) he will not need an FFL.  A copy of the will would be a good thing to have just for record-keeping purposes.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2014, 05:01:55 PM »
I'm trying to get a handle on getting my grandmother taken care of. She owns her house, owes 60k, no clue what tis worth but almost positive its a lot more than that. She owns her cars. But has NO income. they had no life insurance. Have no idea how we're gonna do this.

Get her signed up for Social Security* ASAP - she may have benefits coming both on her own account and on her husband's account as his widow.  Also check to see if your grandfather had any pensions.  Your grandmother may be entitled to survivor benefits.  Also check for health insurance plans - there is usually a very short window for changing the policy due to the death of one of the insured.

Also go through whatever records you can find regarding bank accounts.  Hopefully there were survivorship arrangements made, otherwise it's probably going to take a probate order to get her access to whatever funds there are.  While you are awing through the accumulated papers, look for life insurance/burial insurance policies.  Check with any pensiopn plan to see what they had as coverage.

It will be rough doing all that on the fly.  You may want to consider hiring an attorney to help settle the estate and have their paralegals comb the paperwork.  You doing it or hired help doing it will probably be very hard on your grandmother.  Make sure she knows what & why and bring her as much on board as possible.

stay safe.

* SS Old Age & Survivors benefits qualify her for Medicare, which quaifies for exemption from Obamacare.  Depending on what resources are available and acceting new patients (if she is not already on board with someone under Medicare) there area few different plans that cover what Parts A, B, and D do not.  Be careful in that selection as finding out that nobody will accept a plan is a biotch when you have to wait till November to switch plans.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2014, 08:56:00 PM »
Sorry for your loss, man.  God rest his soul, and gather him to His bosom.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 01:32:10 AM »
I can't dig up the thread for some reason, but a while back I bought a garand for my Grandpa. Maybe 2008 or so. I told y'all about him then.

I got a call from my grandma about 20 minutes ago... I knew as soon as i woke up and looked at the phone.

He apparently went peacefully in his sleep. I havent seen him in a while due to the difficulty of travelling.

This was taken when he came to meet my daughter. *expletive deleted*... this sucks

Fitz, it brings tears to my eyes just thinking about what the world has lost with his passing, Remember the good times you had with him. That is honor enough for him.

Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2014, 02:04:31 AM »
I'm heading to Austin tomorrow to drop off the kiddo with my mother. Then work my night shift from there, then hop a plane to cali.

I don't have any leave yet, but the boss basically said "Work remotely as long as you need. Come back when you're ready.

Say whatcha will about Microsoft, but this is how you take care of people. I'm not even an MS employee yet, and they're giving me carte blanche telecommute privs.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2014, 06:55:55 AM »
I'm heading to Austin tomorrow to drop off the kiddo with my mother. Then work my night shift from there, then hop a plane to cali.

I don't have any leave yet, but the boss basically said "Work remotely as long as you need. Come back when you're ready.

Say whatcha will about Microsoft, but this is how you take care of people. I'm not even an MS employee yet, and they're giving me carte blanche telecommute privs.

Note to self:

Stop badmouthing the company.  Stick to badmouthing their products.

stay safe.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2014, 07:43:34 AM »
Sorry Fitz.  =(
Avoid cliches like the plague!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2014, 12:49:38 PM »
Sorry about your loss.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2014, 02:07:04 PM »

What part of California?

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
Re:
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2014, 02:23:14 PM »
Ridgecrest
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2014, 02:40:09 PM »
I'm about 160 miles away from Ridgecrest.

Let me know if there is anything that I can do for you.

Sawdust

or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
Re:
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2014, 03:48:00 PM »
Thanks. Got any rifle boxes?
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2014, 04:33:39 PM »
You mean cardboard shipping boxes?

Sawdust

or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
Re:
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2014, 04:35:05 PM »
Yeah. I'm gona have to find something long enough for rifles.

Grams wants the guns shipped out before the vultures

I mean psychotic cousin

I mean loving family arrives
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2014, 09:46:37 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about your granddad, but I'm also glad you had the chance to know him as a man.

My dad's dad died three years before I was born.  My mom's dad died when I was nineteen.  I'm grateful that I knew the latter man, but I was too young and too wrapped up in myself to ask the kinds of questions I should've.  He fought in the Polish underground in WWII, for example, something I had no interest in then.  What a fool I was.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Sawdust

• friend
Re:
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2014, 11:22:36 AM »
Yeah. I'm gona have to find something long enough for rifles.

Grams wants the guns shipped out before the vultures

I mean psychotic cousin

I mean loving family arrives

I crawled up into the attic last night to see if I still had some garand boxes, but no joy -sorry.

Sawdust

or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
Re:
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2014, 11:45:07 AM »
No worries, I'll figure something out. Maybe hit a local gun shop and ask them
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2014, 05:13:59 PM »
Mortuaries are now on my evil list, right under ambulance chasers.

*expletive deleted*ing scam artists.

I'm paying for his urn if i can scrape together the funds. luckily i've had some money languishing in PayPal from an amp i sold... but they tried to sell her on some 1000 dollar monstrosity that he wouldnt have  wanted. I helped her select a beautiful cherry box with some tooling on it. We're gonna have a plaque and the USMC emblem added to it.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2014, 06:01:40 PM »
Hmmm need to make my own for my ashes. Never thought of that.

Mortuaries are a weird buz. I got a sales pitch when I was a pall bearer. From both funeral home and cemetery

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
Re:
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2014, 06:27:24 PM »

Took a look at the garand today. Made me sad. It needs some work. One smith said a new barrel, although gramma couldn't remember his jusitification, so i'll have a smith near me look at it.

I elected not to take his other guns. This will stay my decision as long as gramma promises to keep them and not give them to David. They're worth somethin, and if she runs low on cash it'd be helpful for her to have those to sell.

I will be listing his big gigantic truck and smaller ranger for sale soon. The F350 is massively awesome and has all the banks goodies.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2014, 08:38:53 PM »
Mortuaries are now on my evil list, right under ambulance chasers.

*expletive deleted* scam artists.
*expletive deleted*ck those theiving bastards.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re:
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2014, 10:05:33 PM »
Took a look at the garand today. Made me sad. It needs some work. One smith said a new barrel, although gramma couldn't remember his jusitification, so i'll have a smith near me look at it.

I elected not to take his other guns. This will stay my decision as long as gramma promises to keep them and not give them to David. They're worth somethin, and if she runs low on cash it'd be helpful for her to have those to sell.

I will be listing his big gigantic truck and smaller ranger for sale soon. The F350 is massively awesome and has all the banks goodies.

Why not take all the guns back to Texas and sell them there (better market for them I would bet) and easier for you to handle the transaction(s) and simply send the money to her.   Especially with CA goofy gun laws.  I wouldn't trust my mother to try to navigate IL's laws, much less CA's.

Hopefully the trucks will be easier and faster to sell.  She'll need the money, even if there is no burial, etc.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
Re:
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2014, 10:58:33 PM »
Why not take all the guns back to Texas and sell them there (better market for them I would bet) and easier for you to handle the transaction(s) and simply send the money to her.   Especially with CA goofy gun laws.  I wouldn't trust my mother to try to navigate IL's laws, much less CA's.

Hopefully the trucks will be easier and faster to sell.  She'll need the money, even if there is no burial, etc.

Bigger reason is that I don't think she's emotionally ready yet to part with them, also. The garand raised no reaction from her, as he specifically said he wanted it to come back to me, as it was a gift from me. He  wanted the other guns to go to me as well, but I believe she has a sentimental attachment to them, as they used to shoot together before she became unable to shoot the big ones. There was detectable hesitation regarding the other ones.

I'll feel out the situation and see how it goes
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2014, 02:35:09 AM »
I got the garand fixed.

Here at the Dallas Microsoft office there's an email list for gun nuts. Through that, I found a MSFT employee who is also a gunsmith, and loves working on old garands.

He took a look , and the lug on the end of the op rod was worn, causing it to pop out of the channel when fired occasionally. He said my options were to buy a "new" op rod (which would really be used and there's no telling the quality) or to have him over-weld the op rod lug and then machine it back to spec. He said that because he liked doing the work, he'd do the latter for free if I wanted. I took him up on the offer.

The garand shoots beautifully.

I miss the hell out of him
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2014, 06:50:19 AM »
I say you owe that man a beer or 12.

Great news and a great legacy to leave behind to the next generation.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!