Author Topic: Crap. Looks like it might be time for a new roof...  (Read 4861 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Crap. Looks like it might be time for a new roof...
« on: September 30, 2015, 05:27:49 AM »
This morning I noticed a nice wet spot on my bathroom ceiling. Heavy rain last night. The roof is 23 years old, so it's really past due.

Sigh.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Crap. Looks like it might be time for a new roof...
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 09:37:34 AM »
It's not possible to fix it while it's raining.

And when it's not raining it doesn't need fixing.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 10:59:39 AM »
Duct tape

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 11:03:32 AM »
Hopefully it's an anomaly from heavy windblown rain. If not BOHICA.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 11:11:47 AM »
If you had a big hailstorm recently, file an insurance claim. Otherwise, get ready for a bill that's on the order of 1/2 a new car. (YMMV depending on things like shingle type, roof pitch, and area to be covered.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 11:15:48 AM »
I was hoping the same thing, but we really didn't have that much wind last night.

As I said, it's 23 years old now, so I figure it's probably time.

Simple roof, no valleys, no 90 degree intercepting peaks, etc., just two flat planes with a ridge vent.

This go around I'm going to have them install an ice and water membrane on the overhang. I've had issues with ice dams in the past. Not bad, but enough to know that I don't want anything like that again.

May go architectural shingles, too. More houses in the community are going that route, and they look nice.

No hail storms in my area for at least the past 5 years. For some reason they keep hitting all around us.

As for pricing, I figure I'm going to be in between $3,500 and $5,000, not, as some of the more panicky seem to think, $27 billion trillion trillion....
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 11:25:03 AM »
May go architectural shingles, too. More houses in the community are going that route, and they look nice.

Are those steel?

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 11:31:55 AM »
No. Architectural shingles is a general term for the ones that have profile, texture, contour, etc., to them, as opposed to the flat, uniform look of the common three-tab shingle.

Some of them are so convincing that they actually look like slates, but are about 1/10th the cost.

Were I sure this were going to be my last house I'd seriously consider metal shingles.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 12:48:16 PM »
I was hoping the same thing, but we really didn't have that much wind last night.

As I said, it's 23 years old now, so I figure it's probably time.

Simple roof, no valleys, no 90 degree intercepting peaks, etc., just two flat planes with a ridge vent.

This go around I'm going to have them install an ice and water membrane on the overhang. I've had issues with ice dams in the past. Not bad, but enough to know that I don't want anything like that again.

Ice and water shield is now required by the building code, and a replacement roof is subject to the building code. Any roofer who isn't planning on using it should not be considered for the job.

Architectural shingles do look nice, they possibly add a bit of curb appeal (and maybe value) to the house ... and they typically have a longer warranty than "standard" 3-tab shingles.

Quote from: 2012 International Residential Code
R905.2.7.1 Ice barrier. In areas where there has been a history of ice forming along the eaves causing a backup of water as designated in Table R301.2(1), an ice barrier that consists of a least two layers of underlayment cemented together or of a self-adhering polymer modified bitumen sheet, shall be used in lieu of normal underlayment and extend from the lowest edges of all roof surfaces to a point at least 24 inches (610 mm) inside the exterior wall line of the building.

Exception: Detached accessory structures that contain no conditioned floor area.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 12:52:14 PM »
Did not know that about the water shield. Nice touch.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 12:53:50 PM »
No. Architectural shingles is a general term for the ones that have profile, texture, contour, etc., to them, as opposed to the flat, uniform look of the common three-tab shingle.

Some of them are so convincing that they actually look like slates, but are about 1/10th the cost.

Were I sure this were going to be my last house I'd seriously consider metal shingles.

Cool, those look nice.

Uranus is a gas giant.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 01:01:36 PM »
Were in you in the country and on a tight budget I might suggest:
1. Repairing leak.
2. Paining your shingles.

If'n you got the $$$, though, a new roof is the best way to go.

Does your HOA allow white shingles?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 01:04:31 PM »
As I've said, the roof is 23 years old. It might be a case of a stick from the oak tree coming down and punching a hole in it, which could be patched, but at 23 years old, it's living on borrowed time.

As for the white shingles, I'm pretty sure I can go with whatever color I want.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2015, 02:16:26 PM »
I need to replace my shingles at some point.  The windstorm insurance bunch sent me a letter saying they would no longer cover shingle replacement as they were too old.  My neighbor got the 150 MPH shingles.  They look nice.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2015, 03:09:17 PM »
If what it cost to do the back side of my townhouse is any indication, you're looking at roughly $2000-$2500 for the entire roof.

Chris

grampster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2015, 04:24:29 PM »
Check and see if you have Amish around.  They do metal roofs and the cost is very close to the cost for high grade asphalt.  You can get a metal roof that looks like shingles or even tile etc.  Those types of metal cover the screws as does some of the normal vertical metal roofs.  They last for 50 + years.  Your HOA may not allow metal though.

A good deal of ice dam problems are because you don't have adequate ventilation in the attic or crawl space or the soffit.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 04:44:18 PM »
As far as I know, no Amish or Mennonite roofers in this area. Were I back in Pennsylvania I know exactly whom I'd call.

No intention of pursuing metal at this point. I'm aware of its advantages, but on a townhouse it's likely money I'd never recover from a sale.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2015, 05:14:31 PM »
No obvious damage to the shingles that I could see with binoculars.

And it looks to be in decent shape.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2015, 05:22:54 PM »
If what it cost to do the back side of my townhouse is any indication, you're looking at roughly $2000-$2500 for the entire roof.

Chris
I expect mine to be at least $4000, but I haven't got any quotes yet.  That is just a guess based on what my neighbor said.  Either way I am looking at 150 MPH, 30 year shingles.  If I wait until after a hurricane and the windstorm won't pay for it, it likely be twice that or more plus the regular deductable.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2015, 06:23:22 PM »
Holy crap - you guys have some cheap roofing prices in your neck of the woods. I'm envious.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2015, 06:48:19 PM »
Holy crap - you guys have some cheap roofing prices in your neck of the woods. I'm envious.

Small roofs.  Mike and I have townhouses, which are tall and narrow.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2015, 07:03:15 PM »

Chris

Ah, okay, then it's more in line with what I'm used to. Probably still a little cheaper than here, even if I used Mexican roofers. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2015, 07:19:47 PM »
Ah, okay, then it's more in line with what I'm used to. Probably still a little cheaper than here, even if I used Mexican roofers. :)
There are roofers that aren't Mexican?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2015, 08:21:30 PM »

Chris

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that mine has more roof area than yours, but it's close enough for union work.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2015, 08:22:02 PM »
There are roofers that aren't Mexican?

Around here, for whatever reason, a lot of them are Korean.