Author Topic: Crap. Looks like it might be time for a new roof...  (Read 4862 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Crap. Looks like it might be time for a new roof...
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2015, 08:30:25 PM »
Around here, for whatever reason, a lot of them are Korean.

They seem to like roofs:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2015, 08:59:35 PM »
Neighbor had her roof replaced a few months ago for 3400.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2015, 09:06:39 PM »
Around here, for whatever reason, a lot of them are Korean.

Hot Ukrainian ex-coworker's boyfriend is a home inspector, and he was taking me around showing me new construction on Kauai when I was there. One of the first things I noticed was most of the roofers were white (he used to be a roofer too). I guess wherever you are, it's always the minority that does the roofing.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2015, 10:25:12 PM »
You could always do the roof yourself. Or get some day labor and "supervise".

If its above the bathroom, get up there and check the boots around the vent pipes. I had one with the rubber part that was dried out. I picked up some sort of rubbery type roof caulk. Put a bead around the pipe and its been good for the last 4 years.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

HankB

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2015, 10:58:58 PM »
Holy crap - you guys have some cheap roofing prices in your neck of the woods. I'm envious.
No kidding - depending on pitch, a reroof in the Austex area for a single story house with ~3000 square feet of foundation area will run 12-14k with typical architectural shingles like GAF Timberline HD.

. . . My neighbor got the 150 MPH shingles . . .
Installation has as much to do with wind resistance as the shingle material itself. I believe GAF requires each shingle to have six nails holding it down . . .

Also, if you currently have the "turtle" vents, look into ridge vents. They say 4 feet of ridge vent is equivalent to 3 - 3.5 turtle vents.

Oh, and be aware there are a LOT of lousy roofers out there; here in Austex we had a hail storm and we had "Local" roofers knocking on doors in our neighborhood looking for business . . . and some of these "Local" roofers were driving pickups with out of state plates.  :O
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2015, 01:28:03 AM »
You have a perfect application for metal standing seam snap-lock roofing.

Here is a hint- the reason metal roofs cost a fortune is because there is a lot of work involved- flashing, and then cutting the metal to all the peaks and valleys so important to today's "cute old house look".  A roof like yours is gravy- the cost per square foot is the same as a cut up nightmare- see if you can negotiate the price down for the install.

(I saw a house here recently with 18 separate roof planes. Four of them were the actual roof, all the rest were "decorator dormers")

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2015, 02:40:29 AM »
I worked on those fancy houses recently and one of those little Of fancy decorator dorms on the back had never had any roofing on it one side didn't show no shingles on in bare plywood for 12 years

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2015, 05:31:17 AM »
Nothing says dedicated roofer like a hachimaki and a Mini 14....
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2015, 05:32:25 AM »
You could always do the roof yourself. Or get some day labor and "supervise".

If its above the bathroom, get up there and check the boots around the vent pipes. I had one with the rubber part that was dried out. I picked up some sort of rubbery type roof caulk. Put a bead around the pipe and its been good for the last 4 years.

I had a leak around the vent pipe a few years ago, and that came down in another part of the bathroom. This is offset from that by several feet.

I've done roofing before, and have absolutely no intention of ever doing it again. I've both shingled and worked on metal roofs (painting). Enormous pain in the ass.

I've got a ridge vent. I'm sort of hoping that this may be a ridge vent issue. That would be easy to fix.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2015, 05:41:46 AM »
"You have a perfect application for metal standing seam snap-lock roofing. "

No. I don't.

I don't know how many times I've said it in this thread already, but I'll say it again.

I AM NOT GOING TO INSTALL A METAL ROOF.

I don't plan on being in this house for more than 15 to 20 years. If this were 20 years ago when I had just bought the place, that would be one thing.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2015, 08:33:45 AM »
No kidding - depending on pitch, a reroof in the Austex area for a single story house with ~3000 square feet of foundation area will run 12-14k with typical architectural shingles like GAF Timberline HD.

Up north we have basements, so I 3k sq ft house would half the footprint of the houses down there. Also a 3k sq ft house is a big house in the north and not that common when compared to all the other houses.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2015, 09:42:10 AM »
(I saw a house here recently with 18 separate roof planes. Four of them were the actual roof, all the rest were "decorator dormers")

Doing solar design, it's a constant pain having to explain to some princess that his 3,500 square foot castle built last year after he told the architect he wanted to go solar later has no roof face over 150 square feet on the south side.  I've seen a few that looked like an advanced exercise in CAD design that no one would ever expect to actually be built.  Just did one last week in one of the "green" subdivisions where everything is supposed to be designed for energy efficiency and alternative energy; 3,500 square feet, 32 roof pitches.  I can fit more solar on most 1,100 square foot houses than his would hold effectively.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2015, 10:32:21 AM »
Up north we have basements, so I 3k sq ft house would half the footprint of the houses down there. Also a 3k sq ft house is a big house in the north and not that common when compared to all the other houses.
A house with 3k sq. ft. of foundation area will likely be under 2.4k sq. ft. of living area - the rest including garage, porch, etc.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2015, 10:40:05 AM »
A house with 3k sq. ft. of foundation area will likely be under 2.4k sq. ft. of living area - the rest including garage, porch, etc.

We would have about 700-1000 sq ft of living space. Basement adds a lot of space with a smaller footprint.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2015, 12:24:11 PM »
"You have a perfect application for metal standing seam snap-lock roofing. "

No. I don't.

I don't know how many times I've said it in this thread already, but I'll say it again.

I AM NOT GOING TO INSTALL A METAL ROOF.

I don't plan on being in this house for more than 15 to 20 years. If this were 20 years ago when I had just bought the place, that would be one thing.

yes, but are you sure?  :rofl:

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2015, 01:45:17 PM »
yes, but are you sure?

With simple, flat roof faces, why not just get 14ga mild steel sheet, DuraCoat it, and install it like 4x8' shingles?  Should last a while.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2015, 01:53:08 PM »
You close enough to the coast to have the hurricane help?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2015, 01:56:07 PM »
Mike, you could just roof over it with floppy disks....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2015, 08:06:44 AM »
Welp, it's definitely a leak. We had hard rain last night, and it was wet in the same spot.

Going to call a highly rated Angie's List roofer today.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2015, 08:08:05 AM »
Welp, it's definitely a leak. We had hard rain last night, and it was wet in the same spot.

Did you have to sleep in it?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2015, 09:55:24 AM »

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2015, 10:01:23 AM »
Just Gorilla Tape the whole thing.  Go over it with a couple coats of Shoe Goo to make sure.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2015, 03:04:09 PM »
Our 8 yr old shingle roof decided to start leaking a few weeks ago - just as we're finishing up dealing with a burst water heater that flooded 1/2 the house.

Estimates for ~27 bundles of 30 yr 3 tab are starting around $6,500, including tear off of the existing 2 layers.  Metal, which I'd like to use, is somewhere around $2K more.

Insurance adjuster said they're not going to pay for any of it.

All that, on top of having to get a second car this year and another riding mower and having the dam repaired and over $2K in dental bills.......

At least my supervisor was able to get corporate to OK my being converted from part to full time.  Yea  =(

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2015, 03:48:33 PM »
Estimates for ~27 bundles of 30 yr 3 tab are starting around $6,500, including tear off of the existing 2 layers.  Metal, which I'd like to use, is somewhere around $2K more.

Worth it in a few more years when you're not paying $6,500 to get those magic "30 year" shingles replaced again.

While you're at it, spring an extra G to get a whole house tankless water heater, or even a few smaller ones located right at the use points.  It's the one time I recommend electric over gas for heating; gas ones tend to have hot spots where calcium builds up and clogs the heater, while electrics generally just need new elements when that happens.  Very few households need hot water frequently enough to offset the cost of keeping a big tank of it hot at all times as opposed to heating only what's needed when it's needed.  (Not to mention the added cost of having a big heater always running in an air conditioned part of the house.)  The only real drawback is that you no longer have a 20-50 gallon self-rotating emergency water supply in a closet.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2015, 04:58:50 PM »
Most electric tank less will challenge your electric service

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I