Author Topic: Are you a Harbinger?  (Read 3416 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Are you a Harbinger?
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2020, 10:48:30 AM »
I see now that my adoption of 6.8SPC has all but doomed it.

Incidentally, I also seem to be drawn to ALREADY FAILED calibers. I like .35 Remington. I know no one else uses it1, but I don't care. I'd even love to get a Remington Model 8!

1: It's hyperbole. Sue me
Academy down here still sells 6.8 and 35 Remington.  I don't think they are dead.  I have a Stag rifle in 6.8, but I don't shoot it much.

With the new Sig 277, I heard commentary hoping for more bullet designs available for 6.8 SPC.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2020, 10:49:13 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/05/opinion/harbinger-failure.html

It seems economists have discovered people who consistently like and buy products that end up failing and being discontinued.

Not only that, but all their decisions are "wrong" as in not popular. AND tend to live near other harbingers.

I'd like to think I'm a harbinger, but I so rarely buy a "new!" "exciting!" product that I doubt it. Also most of the products listed sound revolting. Watermelon oreos? I barely like normal oreos. Cheetos lip balm? No thank you.

How about you? Any of you think you are a harbinger?

I do have a couple .40s, does that count?

More than once I've bought a thing somewhere in the trailing edge of its popularity.  
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2020, 11:20:56 AM »
I don't know if I qualify but I know a lot of people who do.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2020, 02:27:35 PM »

More than once I've bought a thing somewhere in the trailing edge of its popularity.  
I guess I am way behind the curve.  I bought one of the police trade in Sig P226 pistols in 40 from AIMSurplus in Feb.  They have them under $400.  I have to say it handles that caliber better than any other pistol in 40 I have shot. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2020, 05:43:09 PM »
I guess I am way behind the curve.  I bought one of the police trade in Sig P226 pistols in 40 from AIMSurplus in Feb.  They have them under $400.  I have to say it handles that caliber better than any other pistol in 40 I have shot. 

DA/SA has looped around to being cool again, in some circles.  So sez the Innernet.  (YMMV).

I was being facetious about .40, seeing as how the Internet Gun Social Media herd mind gets all hatey on it these days.  It does nothing less or more than it ever did.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2020, 06:13:56 PM »
DA/SA has looped around to being cool again, in some circles.  So sez the Innernet.  (YMMV).

I was being facetious about .40, seeing as how the Internet Gun Social Media herd mind gets all hatey on it these days.  It does nothing less or more than it ever did.

I'm actually starting to dig my new DA/SA, given that it has 1911 style controls.

I just consigned my G23 at my gunshop for 15% fee and store credit. We decided to try for $350 (I paid $525 for it), but they said I should expect closer to $300, because there's a ton of police trade-ins on the market for right around that price. I think it's not that .40 is more or less than what it was, it's that 9MM just got better.

I'm actually thinking of keeping my Walther PPQ in .40 now, with the hopes that like bell bottoms, the .40 may get popular again and I'll sell it then, instead of taking the big price hit now.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2020, 07:51:39 PM »
I'm actually starting to dig my new DA/SA, given that it has 1911 style controls.

I just consigned my G23 at my gunshop for 15% fee and store credit. We decided to try for $350 (I paid $525 for it), but they said I should expect closer to $300, because there's a ton of police trade-ins on the market for right around that price. I think it's not that .40 is more or less than what it was, it's that 9MM just got better.

I'm actually thinking of keeping my Walther PPQ in .40 now, with the hopes that like bell bottoms, the .40 may get popular again and I'll sell it then, instead of taking the big price hit now.

The 23's the compact, right?   Local place had one on consignment last year sometime.  I was interested in it as a complement to my Gen 3 19.  I hemmed and hawed, then decided to offer $300, see if it flew.  I walked in, right as someone else was finishing dickering for it.  <sigh>

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2020, 08:51:47 PM »
Frescetta used to make a sauce-stuffed-crust pizza.

I loved the shyt out of that, as far as frozen pizza was concerned.

Of course the cheese-stuffed-crust product line was more popular, and I shall never again see my beloved sauce stuffed crust.

Marinara is love.  Marinara is life!
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2020, 10:21:07 PM »
mmmm.... Cheese balls.

Did anyone calculate in teenagers/young adults? Because I'm pretty sure the only reason I bought crystal pepsi was because "the cool kids" did it...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2020, 07:49:30 AM »

My nightstand gun is a Smith & Wesson .40. I never had much interest in the cartridge, but a few years ago I came across this S&W and the price was WAY too good to pass up. I figured I'd give it a try and probably use it for trade bait, but the more I played with it, the more I liked it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2020, 08:57:00 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
...the more I played with it, the more I liked it.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2020, 07:08:13 PM »
Lucked out this time.

They just killed the Danner Pronghorn boot. 

I  found out soon enough to grab several pair before the market noticed.  These boots WORK,  why change?

They'll be back, new name, new price $$$.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2020, 07:47:51 PM »
I really enjoyed that Win 3.1 but then it went away.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2020, 07:53:37 PM »
They'll be back, new name, new price $$$.

Man I hope.  I've had probably 7 pairs of these over the years,  my feet like them. 
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2020, 08:02:07 PM »
When I got out of the shop wearing steel toes everyday I found some BK shoes that were so comfortable I bought another pair. When I wore those out I couldn't find them anymore even online. Sucks to be me.

ETA: and the original Winchester Silver tips.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2020, 08:49:56 PM »
ETA: and the original Winchester Silver tips.

Heh!   About 20 years ago when I had my first .40, the local Walmart clearanced a bunch of social purposes .40, and I snapped it all up.  Mostly Silvertip.  Still working my way slowly through that stash.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2020, 10:03:24 PM »
I have four or five loaded in .270 and about 60 bullets for 30-30 to load up. Has always been a one shot stop with a silvertip

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2020, 10:10:19 PM »
I really enjoyed that Win 3.1 but then it went away.

Hawkmoon, your new alias is already taken by someone else.  Also, I can give you a link to a Win 3.1 aficionados forum.  They have tips and hacks on making it run as the native OS on almost any current home users computer.  Sorry though, it IS behind a paywall.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2020, 10:45:40 PM »
I have 3.1 on floppy around here some where and. Some older stuff also just lack th Tim to play

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2020, 12:20:58 AM »
I have 3.1 on floppy around here some where and. Some older stuff also just lack th Tim to play

:lol:   :lol:
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2020, 12:29:16 AM »

Pretty sure I have NT3.51, but I'm not sure if all those floppies will still work after 25 years.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2020, 10:41:05 AM »

1, 2, 3.0, 3.1
You can actually run them in dosbox though workable mouse drivers are a PITA in 1.0.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2020, 10:48:35 AM »
Pretty sure I have NT3.51, but I'm not sure if all those floppies will still work after 25 years.

My 3.0 & 3.1 3 1/2 floppies still work fine
1 & 2 were on 5.25s but I had copied all my old floppies to a HDD and then a flash drive long time ago.

Check your old CDs, many older CDs may have rotted by now.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2020, 10:51:13 AM »
1, 2, 3.0, 3.1
You can actually run them in dosbox.

Are they available for free anywhere? It'd be kinda fun to install win 3.1 in dosbox to play around with just for the nostalgia.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2020, 10:54:14 AM »
Are they available for free anywhere? It'd be kinda fun to install win 3.1 in dosbox to play around with just for the nostalgia.

I am not responsible for any possible malware/virus from such sites

https://winworldpc.com/library/operating-systems
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 11:06:26 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes