Author Topic: In-N-Out Fever, Idaho Edition  (Read 1688 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
In-N-Out Fever, Idaho Edition
« on: December 09, 2023, 11:26:52 AM »
Idaho is finally getting its first In-N-Out, sort of by Boise. It was confirmed a year ago, and I have been cracking up at how crazy people are going in anticipation. The local news covers it practically daily. The Boise and Idaho reddits are filled with posts about when it will actually open (apparently next week). I think it might be more popular than Taylor Swift.  :rofl:

Being a former cali guy, I am of course an In-N-Out fan, and will be visiting this one occasionally when I'm in the area, but probably not for at least three months given the kinds of lines they're going to have. In-N-Out always has crazy lines, but I expect these to be next level for a good while. I like the place, but not that much.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: In-N-Out Fever, Idaho Edition
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2023, 12:02:39 PM »
They're not in this corner of the yoo-ess-ay, so I have no way to compare. I remember there was a lot of excitement when 5 Guys first opened around here. I skipped the initial madness but I have since tried two different locations, and I was decidedly unimpressed. Not a bad burger, but IMHO definitely not worth the price or the hoopla.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2023, 01:03:28 PM »
Never had In-N-Out. Friends who lived in California rave about it, though.

These two Brits have a really fun food channel.

Here's their video on In-N-Out
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2023, 01:20:47 PM »
I kinda look at In-N-Out the same as CFA. You're always gonna find a better, more expensive burger, but In-N-Out makes a great burger at a good price, and treats their employees (who are super friendly and hard working, just like CFA) really well. If I'm in an area that has an In-N-Out and most any of the other fast food places you find in the West, I generally gravitate to them, which I guess is what a lot of you Eastern guys do with Five Guys.

Anyway, great food IMO, but the fan base can get a little overenthusiastic, and that's especially been the case with this one. Possibly because they seem to have skipped Idaho for the longest time, opening franchises in all the surrounding states. Which is weird considering all the former Californians that live here. They have a super loyal customer base waiting for them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2023, 01:32:54 PM »
"I generally gravitate to them, which I guess is what a lot of you Eastern guys do with Five Guys."

Not this guy.

I've eaten at Five Guys a number of times and have NEVER been satisfied with it.

The meat is generally greasier than a Jiffy Lube and has virtually no taste.

Their fries are also almost completely tasteless. The last batch of fries I had from them didn't even taste like potatoes. They tasted like styrofoam.

And the price they charge?

Holy *expletive deleted*ing hell.

I can think of a dozen local burger places I'd pick over Five Guys, INCLUDING McDonald's AND Burger King.

If I want a really good burger, though?

I'm going to to either Foster's Grille or Glory Days Grill. Glory Days is local, I think Foster's is regional.

Both are, all told, either about the same price, or a bit cheaper, than Five Guys and the taste of the food FAR better.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2023, 03:22:23 PM »
The Five Guys here in Hickory makes a pretty good burger, though to Mike's point it is a little greasy.  My wife doesn't like their fries as they are cooked a bit too much for her taste.  I like them just fine. Their prices keep going up and up, however.  They have almost chased me away because of that.  I don't believe I'm getting my money's worth anymore.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2023, 07:37:27 PM »
I didn't feel that I was getting my money's worth when I was going there 20 years ago.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2023, 09:02:31 PM »
I had In-N-Out during a field trip to CA in high school.

My vague memories are that it was like McDonald's, but a bit better.

There's one within 20 miles of me now as of last year, but I haven't gone to try it again yet.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2023, 02:53:41 AM »
"I generally gravitate to them, which I guess is what a lot of you Eastern guys do with Five Guys."

Not this guy.

I've eaten at Five Guys a number of times and have NEVER been satisfied with it.

The meat is generally greasier than a Jiffy Lube and has virtually no taste.

Their fries are also almost completely tasteless. The last batch of fries I had from them didn't even taste like potatoes. They tasted like styrofoam.

And the price they charge?

Holy *expletive deleted*ing hell.

I can think of a dozen local burger places I'd pick over Five Guys, INCLUDING McDonald's AND Burger King.

I agree. I've tried 5 Guys twice, and I wasn't impressed by the food either time. And I agree with Mike that the prices are ridiculous. Their main competitor around here is another chain called Jake's Wayback Burgers -- I feel the same about them as I do about 5 Guys. For a burger, I'm perfectly happy with Burger King. Unfortunately, I don't like Burger King's fries (plus BK has been closing locations around here). I happen to like McDonald's fries better than any other burger joint, so I'll tolerate the McDouble just to get edible fries with my burger -- and not get totally robbed at the cash register.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 03:35:44 AM by Hawkmoon »

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2023, 09:29:30 AM »
Steak and Shake had some good burgers but their fries were of the "shoe string" type. Can't stand them so I always ordered onion rings
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2023, 09:33:23 AM »
As much as I love their burgers, I'm not that crazy about the regular In-N-Out fries. Ordering them animal style is next level though. In fact I always order both my burgers and fries animal style.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2023, 11:13:39 AM »
Steak and Shake had some good burgers but their fries were of the "shoe string" type. Can't stand them so I always ordered onion rings

Ditto. Never cared much for shoestring fries. McDonald's is about the smallest thickness fry I really like.

Anyone remember the seasoned potato wedges that KFC had? Those things were the absolute BOMB!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2023, 11:15:16 AM »
Crap, I just realized that I biffed on adding the Jolly link in my post below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYu18Ap91lc

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2023, 11:19:13 AM »
Ditto. Never cared much for shoestring fries. McDonald's is about the smallest thickness fry I really like.

Anyone remember the seasoned potato wedges that KFC had? Those things were the absolute BOMB!

Lee's > KFC wedges

But even better are the wedges from a small chain here called indi's. Their spicy chicken will light you up and their wedges are to die for. Sometimes I stop in just for the wedges.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2023, 02:25:19 PM »
Never heard of either of those.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2023, 02:34:00 PM »

The thinner fries must be a lot cheaper.  I love thick cut fries, but almost no one sells them.  Most fast food fries are terrible these days.  Could be my tastes changed, but I think it is more than that.

There was a local mom&pop burger joint near work about 10 years ago that had great burgers and very thick steak fries that melted in your mouth (with the occasional greasy twice fried one).  They closed down unfortunately. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2023, 02:43:58 PM »

Have you had the wedges/fries that come with the breakfast combos at Wendy's?

Five Guys must be doing something right. Everyone complains about their prices, but a lot of people are willing to pay, apparently.

I never notice the grease on my 5 Guy's burgers. I'm too busy dodging the hot sauce that's always dripping out of them, the way I order 'em.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2023, 03:03:30 PM »

Five Guys must be doing something right. Everyone complains about their prices, but a lot of people are willing to pay, apparently.

A lot of people pony up to buy over-priced coffee at Starbuck's, too. That doesn't mean it's not over-priced, it just means that some people aren't very careful about how they spend money.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2023, 03:10:45 PM »

McDonalds is far from cheap anymore either, which makes them much less desirable for me for quick road food, which is about the only time I go to McDonalds.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2023, 04:17:45 PM »
"Have you had the wedges/fries that come with the breakfast combos at Wendy's? "

No, but I hear they are good. Unfortunately the only Wendy's close to me isn't really close to me, which is a pity (or a blessing) because I love their vanilla frostys.

Wendy's would be my first choice for a fast food burger, given my druthers.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2023, 04:22:58 PM »
A lot of people pony up to buy over-priced coffee at Starbuck's, too. That doesn't mean it's not over-priced, it just means that some people aren't very careful about how they spend money.

Actually, what it means is that each person has a different set of likes and dislikes. I don't like Five Guys. Perd apparently does. Know what? That's fine. We don't agree, but c'est la vie.

I'm OK with Starbucks coffee. I'll get it occasionally. That I do is MY business. Want to sneer at me and tell me I'm not being careful with my money? Well I earn that money, so I guess I get to choose how I spend it. To those people, FOAD and mind your own business and keep your Democratic sensibilities of knowing how to better spend my money than I do to yourself.

Then again, there's a lot of crap other people spend money on that I think is just stupid as hell. Just as there are a lot of people who think that my spending north of $7,500 for Seren's cancer treatments is money wasted.

God forbid anyone ever actually say that to me face to face. They may not keep their *expletive deleted*ing teeth.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2023, 04:48:40 PM »
McDonalds is far from cheap anymore either, which makes them much less desirable for me for quick road food, which is about the only time I go to McDonalds.

True. I always order from the Deals menu. Around here, they usually offer two McDoubles for $3.99. I customize them to leave off the cheese, onions, and mustard, and add extra pickles.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2023, 04:59:21 PM »
Just as there are a lot of people who think that my spending north of $7,500 for Seren's cancer treatments is money wasted.

Well, you can be certain that *I* don't think that.  =)

grampster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2023, 05:08:49 PM »
McDonalds burgers are good if you don't happen to have any milk of magnesia in the house and you're a bit "stopped up". :old:
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 10:26:59 PM by grampster »
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2023, 05:24:38 PM »

Starbucks and 5 Guys saw that market, and are serving it.

Realistically, you have to buy 5 Guys on a fairly regular basis for the higher cost to make any real difference. In the past year, I've had 5 Guys at least once, maybe twice. Had I chosen McDonalds, I'd be what - 5-10 bucks wealthier, at most? Over the course of a year?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife