Author Topic: In-N-Out Fever, Idaho Edition  (Read 1684 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: In-N-Out Fever, Idaho Edition
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2023, 07:58:25 AM »
True. I always order from the Deals menu. Around here, they usually offer two McDoubles for $3.99. I customize them to leave off the cheese, onions, and mustard, and add extra pickles.

Every once in awhile I'll go to McCrapple's and get their breakfast sammiches. The chicken & biscuit is... decent. Not great, but decent.

The McCrapple's app makes getting two a good deal because you can get 2 for 1.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2023, 08:03:44 AM »
The thinner fries must be a lot cheaper.  I love thick cut fries, but almost no one sells them.  Most fast food fries are terrible these days.  Could be my tastes changed, but I think it is more than that.

There was a local mom&pop burger joint near work about 10 years ago that had great burgers and very thick steak fries that melted in your mouth (with the occasional greasy twice fried one).  They closed down unfortunately. 

I'm not sure that shoestrings are cheaper, but cost could be a factor. I think it's a case of a combination of factors, including getting the most out of each potato as well as processing time both at the plant as well as at the restaurant.

This is an interesting look at how McD's makes fries: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfZLWEAiixo

I had no idea that they cannonized the potatoes.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2023, 08:04:18 AM »
Well, you can be certain that *I* don't think that.  =)

Your teeth are safe, good Sir!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2023, 07:12:22 PM »
I've been to in-and-out when traveling.  I don't get it.  It's a fairly standard flat little patty on a normal bun.  To me, unremarkable.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2023, 07:20:10 PM »

Ah yes, Saint McFry. Patron Saint of grubs and other underground creatures.

When I worked at McD about 55 years ago we made our fries in house. Big bags of potatoes, a huge drum they were dumped into to get peeled and then the the slicer. We would do a 50 pound bag of potatoes as needed, sometimes several a day.

bob
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 10:45:37 PM by BobR »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2023, 11:29:16 PM »

I'm not sure that shoestrings are cheaper, but cost could be a factor. I think it's a case of a combination of factors, including getting the most out of each potato as well as processing time both at the plant as well as at the restaurant.

This is an interesting look at how McD's makes fries: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfZLWEAiixo

I assume a big factor is making it easier and faster to cook each fry uniformly and to the desired texture. Then again, I'm no cook, so that's just a guess.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2023, 07:18:41 AM »
I assume a big factor is making it easier and faster to cook each fry uniformly and to the desired texture. Then again, I'm no cook, so that's just a guess.

That's a big factor for any restaurant or even home cook. If you buy a bag of fries or tater tots at the store, they're all going to be the same size. Length will vary with fries, but thickness will be very regular.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2023, 07:26:32 AM »
Shoestring fries are a PITA to eat and lack any real potato flavor having just mainly the flavor of the oil they were fried in.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 07:44:56 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2023, 12:58:34 PM »
Well, the one here opened today, and (of course it's on every news site) the news reported that they paved FOUR surrounding lots to allow for "car stacking" to keep the main drag from being overwhelmed. The location is right on probably the already most congested road in the state. Apparently some people got in line last night.  ;/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2023, 01:34:18 PM »
And yikes - they brought in 200 employees just to help with traffic for the first few days.

In-N-Out said it’s bringing in 200 “All Stars” just to help with traffic, according to a previous Statesman story, and has come up with a labyrinthine plan to wind vehicles through the parking lots at The Village and stage and stack cars in unused dirt lots before cars get to that promised land of the In-N-Out drive-thru window.

Read more at: https://www.idahostatesman.com/opinion/from-the-opinion-editor/article282930093.html#storylink=cpy
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2023, 01:37:13 PM »
We just had our first Jack in the Box open up here. What's APS's opinion of them?
I always like to wait 2-3 months to let the new staff settle in any time a new place opens.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2023, 01:57:05 PM »
We just had our first Jack in the Box open up here. What's APS's opinion of them?
I always like to wait 2-3 months to let the new staff settle in any time a new place opens.

I used to eat at Jack in the Box back in the late 70's. It was the only place open near where I lived in San Diego at 2am or later. At that time I thought it was pretty good, of course I was probably impaired, I had 24 or so bars withing walking distance of my place and it was on the way home so I walked through the drive thru a lot. Now days the only fast food place we hit is Arby's and that is rare. For me most fast food burgers are pretty much the same.

bob
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 02:21:07 PM by BobR »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2023, 02:12:38 PM »
I haven't been in years, but I remember Jack in the Box being pretty good. I think I usually got a couple of jumbo jacks and curly fries.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2023, 04:10:13 PM »

Years ago (1980s) when I lived in Phoenix I would stop off some nights at Jack in the Box and get their Swiss Jack burger, fries and a Coke.  Basically a hamburger in Swiss bread with Swiss cheese, IIRC.  It was pretty good.  This was after midnight on my way home from work.
We've got one just down the hill from us in Hickory.  I stopped there a few times right after I moved here and they were uniformly meh.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2023, 04:16:29 PM »
The estimated wait time for a meal by drive-thru at In-N-Out’s new Meridian location was, by noon Tuesday, up to 8 hours long.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2023, 04:41:47 PM »
For those of you who remember the Drew Carey show and his interplay with Mimi, one of the funniest things I ever saw in that show, or ever, was when Drew walked up to her, looked her in the face, and ordered a hamburger, fries, and milkshake.

I almost fell off my chair I was laughing so hard.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2023, 05:51:17 PM »

Wouldn't really recommend them, but they're OK if you just want a fast food burger. I can't predict if you'll like the tacos, which are a bit different from what most people would expect. Also, and I don't know if they have them at all locations, but the ones here serve egg rolls, of all things.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2023, 12:57:01 AM »
Also, and I don't know if they have them at all locations, but the ones here serve egg rolls, of all things.

The egg rolls are not bad at all, and I do like their chicken teriyaki bowls.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2023, 08:55:32 AM »
Wouldn't really recommend them, but they're OK if you just want a fast food burger. I can't predict if you'll like the tacos, which are a bit different from what most people would expect. Also, and I don't know if they have them at all locations, but the ones here serve egg rolls, of all things.

Years ago when I first moved to Hickory, I tried the tacos at the JitB just down the hill from our house.  They were terrible.  Not really tacos.  Lots of filler in the meat.  Almost as though it was something pre-mixed and squirted out of a tube into the shell.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2023, 11:59:21 AM »
And yikes - they brought in 200 employees just to help with traffic for the first few days.

Didn't help.  8-hour wait according to this guy:  https://twitter.com/Dexerto/status/1735193376423653694

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2023, 01:37:26 PM »
Didn't help.  8-hour wait according to this guy:  https://twitter.com/Dexerto/status/1735193376423653694

Heh. I had to make the trip to the Albertsons Flagship today for stuff my regular grocery stores don't have. It's across the street from the In-N-Out. I got there at 0945, and did a quick estimate of cars in line (they open at 1030) and got to 120, though I know there were more. There were all kinds of flaggers in yellow vests out there organizing car queues for cars just to get in the regular line. Yeah, it's gonna be a while before I eat there for the first time.

I understand the walk-in lines were only an hour, but apparently the fans want the drive-thru experience. Newbies.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2023, 01:46:25 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2023, 01:57:22 PM »

I used to hit the one in Oxnard when I was out that way.  They are pretty good, for fast food burgers.  I liked the sourdough burger and the breakfast buritto.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2023, 02:06:53 PM »
Roy Rogers, when they were still a relatively common fast food joint, had GREAT sour dough.

They still have sour dough bread and rolls on the menu, but there aren't any really convenient to me anymore since I stopped making the regular trip to Pennsylvania. There was one about half way that was a good stopping point to get something to eat and get gas at one of the stations.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2023, 02:27:43 PM »
Roy Rogers, when they were still a relatively common fast food joint,

Man, that is a blast from the past. We had one of those in the town I did most of my youth in, long before the Arby's opened up. I may have actually worked there for a while.

So, it sounds like if you are going to the Idaho In-N-Out you better pack a lunch!  ???

bob