Author Topic: Brave browser  (Read 4876 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Brave browser
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2021, 09:53:33 AM »
I started using it about two months ago when too many sites started disallowing IE11. Only three problems with it so far.

Can't figure how come once I enter a URL by pasting from somewhere else, to go to it, I have to use the keyboard Enter key.  There doesn't seem to be an onscreen Go  button for the mouse that I have found.  Minor annoyance.

I can't get to one site I've been on for a long time since it wants me to sign in again, but when I do, the site treats me as a newbie and wants me to enter a screen name.  When I do, it tells me that screen name is already in use.   Not sure if that's a Brave problem or a site problem, but I'll go over there on IE11 and see "What's up with that?"

Migrating APS to Brave from IE11 was no problem whatsoever.

I'm having trouble with the NOAA weather site, but they've changed everything completely around.  To what purpose, I cannot fathom,  unless they're tailoring it completely for mobile sites or all the weather people in the nation got together and asked them to stop putting all that good information on the net.  Boy, I'm getting paranoid about everything, ain't I?

Terry

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2021, 09:59:18 AM »
Can't figure how come once I enter a URL by pasting from somewhere else, to go to it, I have to use the keyboard Enter key.  There doesn't seem to be an onscreen Go  button for the mouse that I have found.  
When you paste it in there will be a dropdown that pops up.  The first item in that dropdown will probably say something like Brave Browser and then show the link.  If you want to use your mouse, just click anywhere on that line.

Note that below that will be a magnifying glass indicating it will search based on whatever you pasted in - that is not what you want.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2021, 10:00:49 AM »

I'm having trouble with the NOAA weather site, but they've changed everything completely around.  To what purpose, I cannot fathom,  unless they're tailoring it completely for mobile sites or all the weather people in the nation got together and asked them to stop putting all that good information on the net.  Boy, I'm getting paranoid about everything, ain't I?

Terry

Most of their visual info used flash, which is gone now for security reasons, so they had to switch to other visualization tools, and did some site redesigns at the same time.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2021, 10:08:09 AM »
Just download the Brave browser yesterday and like it.  I am going to stop using Firefox for personal use with what the Mozilla CEO said.  https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2021/01/08/we-need-more-than-deplatforming/

Yeah, I'm glad I'm on Brave now too. I've been complaining about the Mozilla SJW stuff for a while, but what a bunch of hypocrites saying the above when they have daily "free and fair web" messages. aholes.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2021, 10:09:42 AM »
Most of their visual info used flash, which is gone now for security reasons, so they had to switch to other visualization tools, and did some site redesigns at the same time.

Thank Deity, that Flash is finally dead!
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2021, 10:27:06 AM »
Thanks, Ben, but as long as I can get my graphical forecast, I'm temporarily happy  Can't get the radar screens, though, snarl.  Anyhow,  I want to postpone that battle until I resolve the input-button puzzle.

Cordex, no drop downs occur.  But that clues me in to the fact that I downloaded Brave a while ago, then someone mentioned they had an update.  

So maybe I'm running an earlier version, but I haven't looked for an update function.

Anyhow, I've got appointments this AM so I've gotta go.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2021, 10:30:50 AM »
I’ve been using DuckDuckGo here for a while now.  Prefer over Brave, but that’s only because I haven’t really messed with Brave that much lately.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2021, 10:36:16 AM »
Brave is much improved over the previous version I used.

Pale Moon was slower and didn't render all sites properly.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2021, 10:37:41 AM »
cordex, I just noticed that if I right-click on the "command line" before pasting a URL, there is a drop down list that has "Paste" and then another line "Paste and go to URL." So it seems to be there, just not in the same order that you mention.  I'm suspecting that my remark about having an older version and they corrected that bit of illogic in a later version might be true.

In haste, Terry

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2021, 10:49:39 AM »
Just download the Brave browser yesterday and like it.  I am going to stop using Firefox for personal use with what the Mozilla CEO said.  https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2021/01/08/we-need-more-than-deplatforming/

Given what she said, there might be reason to wonder what naughtiness might be going on under the hood with Firefox.  Too bad.  I've been using FF since Mozilla split up the components of Netscape.  Other browsers seem like toys.

"Open Source, examine the code!" -- yeah, OK.  I wouldn't know what I was looking at, and sort of thing we're worried about can be subtle and obscure.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2021, 10:55:45 AM »
So I have never heard of Brave until a couple of days ago here.  I have downloaded it and will adopt it as my primary browser.  It was helpful that I was formerly using Chrome, and all my bookmarks and extensions from Chrome seamlessly flowed over to Brave.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2021, 10:57:48 AM »
Started using Brave yesterday and one oddity I've noticed is that Amazon is always the first link on the home page and stays there after only going there once

You can click on the x in the corner and it'll go away.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2021, 11:00:54 AM »
Thank Deity, that Flash is finally dead!

Oh, boy!

I'm assisting a local manufacturing plant with their long delayed rollout of Win 10 pcs.  Their current IT guy is overwhelmed, so I come in to do scut work of file transfers and basic prep, and troubleshooting various things.  Anyway,  turns out they have a bit of industrial control and monitoring software that depends on .......wait for it......FLASH player.  The animation they used to get of some big storage/mixing vat, don work no more.

"Contact the vendor"

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2021, 11:02:26 AM »
Downloaded it this morning and gave it a go.
Seemed to import my bookmarks/favorites OK but it isn't playing well with my home page and email server.
I'll keep poking around at it for a while yet.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2021, 11:09:51 AM »
Downloaded it this morning and gave it a go.
Seemed to import my bookmarks/favorites OK but it isn't playing well with my home page and email server.
I'll keep poking around at it for a while yet.
Many problems are due to overzealous blocking.  Click on the little lion's face to the right of the URL bar and disable blocking for that site.  Reload and see if that fixes it.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2021, 12:12:55 PM »
Oh, boy!

I'm assisting a local manufacturing plant with their long delayed rollout of Win 10 pcs.  Their current IT guy is overwhelmed, so I come in to do scut work of file transfers and basic prep, and troubleshooting various things.  Anyway,  turns out they have a bit of industrial control and monitoring software that depends on .......wait for it......FLASH player.  The animation they used to get of some big storage/mixing vat, don work no more.

"Contact the vendor"

Tangent...what about all the CNC machines that still run DOS?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2021, 12:16:08 PM »

How about how many systems still run Cobol

Edit: darn autocorrect
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2021, 12:18:19 PM »
Need a replacement for Thunderbird now I guess.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2021, 12:19:14 PM »
How about how many systems still run Cobalt

Cobol?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2021, 12:20:29 PM »
How about how many systems still run Cobalt

I think Ben can tell us all about the benefit of Cobalt futures.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2021, 12:22:53 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2021, 12:31:33 PM »
Need a replacement for Thunderbird now I guess.

Thunderbird was split from Mozilla.  not sure its status right now.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2021, 12:33:54 PM »
Thunderbird was split from Mozilla.  not sure its status right now.

From a year ago

As of today, the Thunderbird project will be operating from a new wholly owned subsidiary of the Mozilla Foundation, MZLA Technologies Corporation. This move has been in the works for a while as Thunderbird has grown in donations, staff, and aspirations. This will not impact Thunderbird’s day-to-day activities or mission: Thunderbird will still remain free and open source, with the same release schedule and people driving the project.
https://blog.thunderbird.net/2020/01/thunderbirds-new-home/
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2021, 09:21:50 PM »

They still tick along.

3 or 4 years ago, a customer of mine that has a shop full of CNC machines handed me an old full height 5.25" 10 megabyte MFM Seagate hard disk.  It came out of one of his machines.  It might have been the machine he asked me about once: "Can you do anything with PDP-11?"

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2021, 09:25:21 PM »
They still tick along.

3 or 4 years ago, a customer of mine that has a shop full of CNC machines handed me an old full height 5.25" 10 megabyte MFM Seagate hard disk.  It came out of one of his machines.  It might have been the machine he asked me about one: "Can you do anything with PDP-11?"

See if it can play Oregon trail?

Can't think of anything else based on an honest to gods floppy right now.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.