Author Topic: Gunman storms immigration center?  (Read 5893 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Gunman storms immigration center?
« on: April 03, 2009, 01:12:14 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090403/ap_on_re_us/hostage_shooting

Uh-oh.

Evidently didn't want to buy a bus ticket to the south border for a little SSS, just decided he'd start his own mop-up in New York. 

OK, so that's some pretty heavy speculation... but that's my first impression.

BINGHAMTON, N.Y. – A gunman entered an immigration services center in downtown Binghamton on Friday, shot at least four people and took as many as 41 hostage, according to media reports.

Mayor Matthew Ryan told the Binghamton Press & Sun Bulletin that there was a hostage situation involving a gunman with a high-powered rifle.

The condition of the victims wasn't immediately clear. A Binghamton police dispatcher who spoke to The Associated Press wouldn't confirm a number of people shot or injured.

The newspaper reported 41 hostages in the building of the American Civic Association and said apartments were being evacuated.

Emergency dispatchers were in contact with some people inside by phone, WBNG-TV reported. The gunman might still be in the building, the newspaper reported.

Four people were removed from the building on stretchers and taken to hospitals, and 10 more ambulances were called, the newspaper reported. The Binghamton SWAT team responded.

Linda Miller, a spokeswoman at Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Binghamton, confirmed that a student from Binghamton University was being treated at the emergency room. Miller said she didn't know the nature of the injuries.

"We're on full alert anticipating we're going to get additional casualties," Miller said.

The area is a commercial stretch on the west side of the Chenango River. Police have locked down a nearby high school and advised local business owners to stay inside.

People escaped to the basement of the building and more than a dozen people hid in a closet, WBNG reported.

The American Civic Association describes itself as helping immigrants and refugees with counseling, resettlement, citizenship, family reunification and translators.

It also intervenes with emergencies, including fighting, hunger and homelessness, according to information from the association's Web site.

Can someone explain to me when is it that a rifle is not a "high powered rifle?"  Kinda like wet water. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 11:01:31 PM by AZRedhawk44 »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Gunman storms illegal immigration center?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 01:18:35 PM »
Turns out it's a 20 year old asian male, according to a thread on TFL.  Not able to confirm.

Immigrant girlfriend drama, like the one who chopped off a girl's head in a college coffee shop?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 01:39:33 PM »
Can someone explain to me when is it that a rifle is not a "high powered rifle?"  Kinda like wet water.

Beat me to it.  Although does this mean it wasn't an "assault rifle"?  I'm sure it will come out that it was a "high powered assault rifle".  As a side note I don't consider .223 or 7.62x39 "high powered."

Was no one killed? That would be good. (not good, but 6 injuries is better than 6 deaths)

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 01:43:21 PM »
If they weren't here illegally, this would not have happened......I wonder if anyone makes a low powered rifle?  chris3

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 01:55:03 PM »
If they weren't here illegally, this would not have happened......I wonder if anyone makes a low powered rifle?  chris3

Hi-point?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 01:59:10 PM »
The breaking news page from the Binghamton Press and Sun Times newspaper:

http://www.pressconnects.com/
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 02:16:35 PM »
I wish we would here more reports of hostage takers being shot!
That wouldn't get nearly as much press though.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 02:41:17 PM »
Jesus Christ, they're reporting 13 people dead.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 09:14:34 PM »
These guys unfortunately succeed at doing one thing....sharing their own feeling of utter sadness, despair, and frustration.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 02:30:41 AM »
Can someone explain to me when is it that a rifle is not a "high powered rifle?"  Kinda like wet water. :rolleyes:

Wondered that myself from time to time. Sounds more dramatic, I guess.

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 04:09:50 AM »
If they weren't here illegally, this would not have happened......

Nah, the nutcase would've just went to a university or something.  =(

Also, I'm not finding anything that says this is an "illegal" immigration center. Not saying it isn't, but all the articles have been mentioning is how the people there were working on becoming citizens. ???
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 04:47:24 AM by LadySmith »
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 06:23:23 AM »
So what's up with the Paki taliban guy claiming "credit" and saying "Yah, those were mah Boyz?"

TC
TC
RT Refugee

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 07:26:05 AM »
Why is this an illegal immigration center?  Were they doing anything to encourage illegal behavior?
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 07:45:00 AM »
That's what I'm wondering.

AZ, care to explain before I edit your title? Or care to edit it yourself?

Iain

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 08:36:21 AM »
So what's up with the Paki taliban guy claiming "credit" and saying "Yah, those were mah Boyz?"

TC

Language is funny. 'Paki' is considered pretty offensive over here - not the case over there?

Anyway, 'expert' on the radio said that this claim was likely bs. Guy has been claiming the ability to carry out terrorist acts in the US and is just telling opportunistic falsehoods.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 09:12:22 AM »
Pakistanis are less common over here so most people don't think about it that way.  The large numbers of immigrants we have are mostly from Mexico and South America. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 09:21:11 AM »
I can't state for certain about up in NY state, but down here the R Catholic Church is a major enabler and supporter of illegal immigration.  So much so that if there is a news article that mentions the both the words "immigrant" and "Catholic," you can be sure it has something to do with illegal immigration.

I am not surprised that AZ made that connection, because the RCC in AZ is much like the RCC in Texas.

This is compounded by the thoroughly dishonest way the MSM deals with illegal immigration, as has been discussed here and in the MSM itself.

For my own part, it sounds like there was some significant activity at the location to indicate some sort of legal immigrant classes or folks who were at least trying to go through the system.  Also, it seems that the local area was settled with a lot of immigrants from Asia: lots of folks interviewed from one of the 'Stans.  This suggests a lot of refugee and asylum types, rather than your run of the mill illegal alien.

That does not preclude the particular charity from enabling illegals at the same location.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 12:02:00 PM »
Pakistanis are less common over here so most people don't think about it that way.  The large numbers of immigrants we have are mostly from Mexico and South America. 
???

Where is "over here"? Are you in the U.S.? If so, you're in a different region than I am, because around here ALL the gas stations, "Quik Mart" type delis, and lower priced motels (Motel 6, Econo Lodge, etc) are owned and operated by Pakistanis.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 12:19:17 PM »
"Paki"?  Like "Mex"?  Or "Jap"?

Regardless how harmless, such innocent abbreviations will always be offensive to the victim-minded, because it lets them whine.

So long as they keep calling us Yanks, I don't see what the beef is.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Gunman storms immigration center?
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2009, 11:03:23 PM »
That's what I'm wondering.

AZ, care to explain before I edit your title? Or care to edit it yourself?

I posted when this story was breaking, and the initial info I had was a man with a rifle.  Title was speculation, hence the question mark.  Edited original title to remove "illegal."
--Lysander Spooner

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 11:24:46 PM »
Language is funny. 'Paki' is considered pretty offensive over here - not the case over there?

Anyway, 'expert' on the radio said that this claim was likely bs. Guy has been claiming the ability to carry out terrorist acts in the US and is just telling opportunistic falsehoods.

It is the case, but I don't think it's nearly as universally known here as in England.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2009, 12:04:27 AM »
???

Where is "over here"? Are you in the U.S.? If so, you're in a different region than I am, because around here ALL the gas stations, "Quik Mart" type delis, and lower priced motels (Motel 6, Econo Lodge, etc) are owned and operated by Pakistanis.
Down here is the general Houston area.  While there are lots of immigrants of all types, I haven't noticed Pakistanis to be more numerous compared to any other.  Spanish speaking immigrants far outnumber any other in this area. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2009, 08:05:55 AM »

So long as they keep calling us Yanks, I don't see what the beef is.

Heck....in the South, we still call y'all "Yanks".....  =D

Any report on motive yet? I'm guessing it was either a family feud or love gone wrong....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 02:46:15 PM »
locally, the tv is reporting he had recently lost his job,  was wearing body armor, and that he had two handguns not a "high powered rifle". 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 04:00:43 PM by geronimotwo »
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 03:07:46 PM »
I was reading the paper on my lunch break when I caught that Police didn't enter the building until 45 minutes after they arrived. WTF Where they doing in that time!? Eatting donuts?

Then they try to justify this by saying that (this is almost a quote from what I remember) "That the shooters aim was so deadly none of the victems could have been saved even with immedate medical attention."

Pssshh....

Im sorry I'm not tryin to cop bash or saying cops should rush headlong into danger, as we see with the recent tragity of 3 officers being killed by a gunman at least one of them may not have been killed if he didn't go to the other officers aid. Not that im criticizing him. Its a dangeous job but dont join up if you cant handle the fact someone might one day be shooting at you. Become a firefighter or an EMT, we still need plenty of those and alot less risk of being shot at.

If nothing else this should prove that police officers can not prevent mass shootings from occuring or even stopping them. They are not clairvoyent, nor immortal beings that want to run into a shooting situation with no regaurd for their safty, one worker at that building (as I dont think immigrants without being a citizen can own a firearm, I may be mistaken) with a CCW could have ebeded the body count.