Author Topic: Nicholas Moody, arrested in Abu Dhabi for a gun cleaning kit and a forward grip  (Read 9563 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
http://www.ktvn.com/Global/story.asp?S=13527288

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Help-Bring-Nick-Moody-Back-Home/111819705551575?v=wall

I got this from facebook & local news, he is a Nevadan and a vet

Nicholas Moody, one of our fellow soldiers, needs your help!

On September 29th 2010, Nicholas Moody was returning from Iraq to the United States where he was working as a security guard with a private security company. Nicholas was arrested at the Abu Dhabi airport on charges of possession of accessories related to firearms (Front Grip and Cleaning Kit). The items in his possession were pertinent to his job and not dangerous. This event occurred due to the layover time between flights. Mr. Moody had to stay overnight in Abu Dhabi in order to catch the connecting flight to the United States the following morning. When he went to catch his flight the next day he was arrested.

Nick did nothing wrong. He is a veteran who is a corporal in the Nevada Army National Guard. Nicholas has served tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. He has sacrificed for us and now desperately needs our support to get him out of this unfortunate situation.

November 14, 2010

It’s Time!!!!!!

The one thing we can do from here is create interest in Nick’s case. The lawyers assure me that most all levels of UAE government respond favorably to US officials concerns. At this point the results of Nick’s case weigh heavily on getting US Representatives involved. The lawyers have asked for letters, phone calls and faxes to both State and Federal agencies asking that they become involved in this case. They advised us to make contact repeatedly, non-stop until this case is resolved. They said “Do not stop.” And they feel that spreading the concern through the media will also pressure the representatives to make inquiries on Nick’s case.

Nick’s court date is November 29th. This gives us between now and then to make an impact.

We are asking that those of you willing to write letters that can be faxed, mailed and emailed, to please do so immediately. Phone, Twitter, Text, Facebook, etc, use whichever and as many forms of contact as you can.

The more people that show interest and support and are willing to bring this to the attention of our officials, the better chance we have of being heard.

So please enlist as many people as you can, individuals, groups, friends and fellow patriots.

Written below is a list of some of the federal agencies contact information. In addition please contact your state representatives. Many of the agencies have website contact forms. Many also have Facebook and Twitter.

Also below is a sample letter. It is meant only as a guideline. Make your letter in your own voice because the more individual voices, the greater the impact.

PLEASE BEGIN MAKING CONTACT AND SPREADING THE WORD NOW!

LETS GET NICK HOME!!!!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 06:56:19 PM by gunsmith »
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Hawkmoon

• friend
I am certainly sympathetic to his situation, but ... if he broke their laws and was arrested by their authorities for breaking their laws, how can you claim he "did nothing wrong"?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

220_SWIFT

• friend
I am certainly sympathetic to his situation, but ... if he broke their laws and was arrested by their authorities for breaking their laws, how can you claim he "did nothing wrong"?

Absolutely.  When you enter another country you must obey their laws.  If you do not know the laws, you had better check beforehand. 

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
And how is he sacrificing for 'us' now when he is working for a private military contractor?  I would imagine his employer would be in the best position to advocate for his release.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Absolutely.  When you enter another country you must obey their laws.  If you do not know the laws, you had better check beforehand. 

Why would you check to see if cleaning kits and forward grips were prohibited? How would any rational mind conceive that that might be an issue?  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Why would you check to see if cleaning kits and forward grips were prohibited? How would any rational mind conceive that that might be an issue?  ???

You are moving through a Middle Eastern country, many of which are well known to have quite a few nutty laws. You ought to be smart enough to make damn sure that whatever you do won't come anywhere near breaking their laws, because they will come down on you HARD if they get a chance. It's bit contractors in the past, too.

It's just like if you or I was going to Mexico on vacation, where the tight controls on firearms ownership and such means big trouble if you are caught with firearms paraphinilia.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Again, how could anyone predict that a cleaning kit might violate law? That would never enter my mind. A part that actually attaches to a working gun, maybe. A cleaning kit? Never (until I read this thread).

So it's Nick's fault that he's too sane to imagine insane laws. Great. I don't dispute that they probably have him fair and square, legally. But some here trying to give him the blame, no, that's disgusting. Please stop.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
Would those who feel 'their country, their laws', be saying this if, say, UAE banned copies of the New Testament?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Would those who feel 'their country, their laws', be saying this if, say, UAE banned copies of the New Testament?

Or white people?

gunsmith

• friend
I say, help a vet out if you can and pass along the info.
Having a cleaning kit and a grip hardly makes you a bad person. it was an innocent mistake and Moody needs a little help to get out of there.

p.s I wasn't "saying" anything -I just cut and pasted in hopes that a little more pressure would assist the young man.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Its not like he killed a hooker.  Who's going to guess that they ban gun cleaning kits?  Unless he received some kind of fair warning, I mean come on. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Definitions
Fore grip -> piece of plastic or metal, that most people would not be able to tell goes on a gun.
Cleaning kit -> Old toothbrush and some WD40   :facepalm:
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

HankB

• friend
Note to self: Stay out of turd world Islamic cesspools, no matter how many petrodollars they have.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
if he broke their laws and was arrested by their authorities for breaking their laws, how can you claim he "did nothing wrong"?

Big difference between "breaking their laws" and doing something wrong.  How many laws do you suppose you've broken in the last week?

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

mtnbkr

• friend

Wouldn't care, not my business.  We've gotten ourselves in enough trouble by poking our noses where it wasn't welcome.
Or white people?

Same answer as above.  I'm only concerned with what goes on in the US and what directly impacts the US.  If some ME shithole wants to hamstring themselves in that manner, be my guest.

Chris

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander

I suppose that would depend on your definition of "wrong" just because it's the law it doesn't make it right, or sane, or just.
Look, tiny text!

220_SWIFT

• friend

I can't speak for anyone else, but yes I would say the same.  Their country, their laws.  I have traveled to other countries several times.  I always make sure what I am carrying is legal in every country I set foot in.  Period.  I understand that some countries have "goofy" laws, and I never wanted to spend one minute detained for any reason.

gunsmith

• friend
how are you s'posed to know a cleaning kit is illegal though?
That's plain bizarre-kookier than New Jersey.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Again, how could anyone predict that a cleaning kit might violate law? That would never enter my mind. A part that actually attaches to a working gun, maybe. A cleaning kit? Never (until I read this thread).

So it's Nick's fault that he's too sane to imagine insane laws. Great. I don't dispute that they probably have him fair and square, legally. But some here trying to give him the blame, no, that's disgusting. Please stop.

Not saying it's Nick's fault. I'm just saying that these countries will screw over a Westerner in a heartbeat (and will even  provoke an incident) if they can, and that anybody contracting and paying the least bit of attention should know at least to ditch anything that's even remotely connected with firearms before attempting passage through the UAE, no matter how innocent it seems.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Dannyboy

• friend
I'm surprised he made it out of Iraq with those things.  Magazines and holsters can get you arrested at BIAP.

I read that this guy resigned so he's probably not gonna get any help from his former employer.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Mercenary gets arrested in an arab country after breaking their rules?

Not sympathetic. Perhaps some of the ridiculous salary he took that came straight from taxpayers can pay for his legal defense.

Guys like this always play the "I'm a vet" card when they get in trouble. If their motivations were pride and country, they'd be over there with a US uniform on, not with a private security company.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

MechAg94

• friend
Did his employer provide information about what is allowed or not allowed traveling to or from the area?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Dannyboy

• friend
Did his employer provide information about what is allowed or not allowed traveling to or from the area?
Mine does.  You get it before you get there and then when you leave.  I would think his employer does the same.  It doesn't look good when your employees get arrested at the airport.  Not to mention the fact that it can get very expensive.

Mercenary gets arrested in an arab country after breaking their rules?

I'll bet this guy was working a TWISS project, which would make him a friggin gate guard.  Hardly a mercenary.  And if he was working a TWISS project, he wasn't making all that much money either.  Hell, nobody in Iraq is making all that much these days.  Compared to earlier years, that is.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 11:27:26 AM by Dannyboy »
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
The gate guards still make great bank. I have a friend who did it. It's more than what the comparable soldier would make, that's for sure.

My friend made 80 last year... in Kuwait.
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
I also hate how that news story refers to him as "Corporal Moody" and repeatedly points to his Guard association, when he was employed outside the realm of his military service.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog