Author Topic: Herbicide advice  (Read 6761 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Herbicide advice
« on: April 12, 2012, 06:40:35 PM »
So....  We've got the invasion of the grape hyacinth going in our front yard.  Mostly it's in an area that has nothing else growing in it, other than a couple of bits that are in the lawn proper.  I've tried roundup, I've tried crossbow, and crossbow with a surfactant added.  And they're just sitting there smiling at me going, "Nice try....."

I've looked at the ground clear type of products that allegedly kill everything, but all of those keep things dead for a year.  And SWMBO would like to plant things where the grape hyacinth is now this spring/summer.   So long lasting herbicides are out.

Anyone have any suggestion for a "kill every [censored] living plant but doesn't stick around for a year" type of herbicide?
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Jim147

• friends
Re: Herbicide advice
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 06:52:19 PM »
Napalm?

Dig up all of the bulbs and add clean dirt back were you dig up.

I tend to just mow them down in the yard.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 06:56:28 PM »
Hrm.  just got some good advice from the local Coastal Farm and Ranch place....

Goes hand in hand with your suggestion Jim....

FIRE.

Seriously, a propane torch, burn the suckers to the ground every time they start to grow, and it uses up the energy reserves in the bulb.  It's a long term proposition, but it eventually kills them off. 

He also said a 50/50 mix of roundup and crossbow with the surfactant usually does a pretty good job, but to wait until it's at least 70* to try that because otherwise it doesn't absorb properly....

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 07:13:23 PM »
^

Yeah....  I know overkill is the tradition here at APS, but $290 will get me in trouble w/ SWMBO

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 07:42:20 PM »
Exactly.  something like this would save your back while playing with fire:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NI7PQG/ref=asc_df_B000NI7PQG1974816?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B000NI7PQG&hvpos=1o3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1234567890&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

You can own flamethrower for $290 and you're worried about what SWMBO will say.  DUDE !!!  YOU'LL HAVE A FLAMETHROWER !!!

There's always this less expensive option:

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 09:45:11 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 08:49:37 PM »
You can spread lime around your yard to raise the pH (if it's needed) and improve grass growth.  This is well known.

But when you take a bunch of it (I used powdered lime) and saturate an area nothing* will grow there.  I did it on my brick patio for the first time this year.  It's been a few weeks and I haven't seen a single weed pop up.

What I don't know is how long it'll last until it washes out or proper dosages.  I just went spreading white powder around like I was Charlie Sheen because I don't care if nothing can grow there next month or next year.  It's my patio.

I'll ask my home and garden chemical guy at work tomorrow, but I bet his suggestion would be to just dig them up since they're bulbs.

*: As far as I know.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 09:30:23 PM »
Exactly.  something like this would save your back while playing with fire:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NI7PQG/ref=asc_df_B000NI7PQG1974816?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B000NI7PQG&hvpos=1o3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1234567890&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

I've got one of those sans the backpack rig. Don't use it much.
 Mostly the 41% Glyphosate concentrate works for me. Different concentrations for different targets. About the only thing that laughs off 8 ounces to the gallon is Smilax(Greenbriar) (That *expletive deleted*it is hard to kill).
As mentioned earlier though, for Glyphosate or most any herbicide to work the temps have to be up there a bit I like to apply when temps are at least 75 with the sun shining.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 09:39:31 PM »
Round up pro used full strength applied to the leaves on a hot day. Mix is some diesel for penetration.
Liquid pool chlorine will kill just about anything also. Cheep to. Stinks for a few days though.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 09:49:05 PM »

Question, how do you kill every plant but grass in your lawn?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

GigaBuist

• friends
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 10:29:21 PM »

Golf course manger answer:  Add more grass seed.  Choke the sh*t out of everything else.

Chemical answer:  Spread something with 2,4-D (estrogen, basically) after a rain so it sticks to broad leaf weeds.

GigaBuist

• friends
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 07:02:50 PM »
I'll ask my home and garden chemical guy at work tomorrow, but I bet his suggestion would be to just dig them up since they're bulbs.

I asked, and when he originally thought I was asking about my lawn he just laughed at me with that "sucks to be you" look in his eye.

So, bad news, AD.

His only chemical suggestion was Round-Up poison ivy control which is just the same chemicals you've already tried.

So, uh, you might want to get friendly with a garden hoe.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 09:37:30 PM »
A good dose of roundup sometimes won't kill for 7-10 days.
A repeat application at 5 days after the initial is always a good idea.

If that doesn't do it, try this:

Fertilize it.  
Something cheap with a good dose of N(itrogen) to fire up the vegetative growth.
Give it enough water.

Stay with me here....

About a week after the new, light green growth shows up, preferably on a hot sunny day, do a dry application - i.e. granular - of  a broad spectrum herbicide. Water well.  Wait about an hour, to let the leaves dry, then do a foliar application of glyphosphate (Roundup, etc).  
Use the crossbow(2,4-d), roundup, sticker mix you've still got in the can, concentrating on the new growth.  
Adjust the nozzle to the finest mist, and spray until it runs off the leaves (blades).

This drill causes the vigorously growing plant to suck the systemic herbicides up through the bottom and absorb it in through the tops.  
And can work really well on stubborn woodies and herbaceous perennials.

edited -2,4-D is not effective on grape hyacinth, but will not impair the effectiveness of glyphosphate in a mix.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 11:18:05 AM by Tuco »
7-11 was a part time job.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 10:20:03 PM »
^

Yeah....  I know overkill is the tradition here at APS, but $290 will get me in trouble w/ SWMBO

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Dragon-VT-3-30-Propane/dp/B00004Z2FQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1334369783&sr=1-4

Same thing, sans backpack and cylinder, only $71.11.

We definitely need one of those things for the farm. Fighting blackberry vines with a machete gets really old after a while...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 12:39:35 AM »
You want to kill flowers? Why? Does your wife know about this?

Geesh. Dig them up and send them to me. I like hyacinth.

I really thought y'all were mostly logical men but here you all are fussing over a few flowers growing in your yard. It's not like they're dandelions or anything. But even if they were, it's a YARD, and none of you has the last name of Jones.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012, 01:29:08 AM »

Giga nailed it.  2,4-D.

To the OP: Mix 2,4-D with glyphosate.

Go to farm store and buy chemicals.  They will cost less, and be generally more concentrated.

Tuco

• friends
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2012, 11:05:32 AM »
2,4-d will only kill dicots.  Monocots will not be killed by 2,4-d.  Grasses are monocots, but so are many turf "weeds" like plantain, hemmerocalis, liriope, iris, surf surf surf...

Tuco

• friends
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2012, 11:10:30 AM »
2,4-d will only kill dicots.  Monocots will not be killed by 2,4-d.  Grasses are monocots, but so are many turf "weeds" like plantain, hemmerocalis, liriope, iris, surf surf surf...

and Muscari spp.  Grape Hyacinth is a monocot. 2,4d is ineffective on grape hyacinth.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2012, 02:37:28 PM »
Mix 2,4-D with glyphosate
aka LandMaster.

I tank mix 6 oz of Landmaster and 2 oz of Trimec Plus per gallon, plus a dash of dish soap as a surfactant.  I haven't found anything it won't kill yet.  Trimec Plus kills bindweed on the first application if done right.

You want the best growing conditions possible when you spray.  A hot day after a rainy day is perfect.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 08:33:05 AM »
You want to kill flowers? Why? Does your wife know about this?

Geesh. Dig them up and send them to me. I like hyacinth.

I really thought y'all were mostly logical men but here you all are fussing over a few flowers growing in your yard. It's not like they're dandelions or anything. But even if they were, it's a YARD, and none of you has the last name of Jones.

I'm relocating most of the preferred flowers and plants to a holding zone. Rest?  Nuke from orbit.

I want my lawn to look decent, because it's mine. Started adding nitrogen to the soil (ammonium nitrate), and I suspect I'll be adding a LOT of lime as well. I'll be keeping it at 3-4 inches as I understand that's best to choke out weeds, GSP style. Once the lawn is good, I'll start putting in the raised flower beds.  Lotta rocks in the soil, which I'm not happy about. I'm fairly tempted to order soil, and top the current lawn with 6+ inches of top soil AND grade it properly. Current front lawn is just reclaimed forest and has plenty of uneven terrain.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 09:19:38 AM »
Started adding nitrogen to the soil (ammonium nitrate), and I suspect I'll be adding a LOT of lime as well.

If you're really serious about it get your soil tested. It'll point you in the right direction and keep you from wasting time and money.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 10:44:06 AM »

Answer that question and you'll make a fortune !!!

I'm relocating most of the preferred flowers and plants to a holding zone. Rest?  Nuke from orbit.

I want my lawn to look decent, because it's mine. Started adding nitrogen to the soil (ammonium nitrate), and I suspect I'll be adding a LOT of lime as well. I'll be keeping it at 3-4 inches as I understand that's best to choke out weeds, GSP style. Once the lawn is good, I'll start putting in the raised flower beds.  Lotta rocks in the soil, which I'm not happy about. I'm fairly tempted to order soil, and top the current lawn with 6+ inches of top soil AND grade it properly. Current front lawn is just reclaimed forest and has plenty of uneven terrain.

Get your soil tested (or buy one of the those test kits and do it yourself.  It's not that hard.)  Then do what it recommends.   If you don't have a good layer of topsoil, then getting enough delivered to to a depth of 4-8 inches is a good idea.   One good thing about Illinois is great topsoil (throw down some seeds and then run !!)  The bad thing is that below that layer of topsoil is clay.  Clay from Hell. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 06:25:09 PM »
Make sure you follow label directions on whatever herbicide you use.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2015, 08:09:51 PM »
So, to resurrect a three year old thread......    Glyphosate & 2,4-D, plus a non-ionic surfactant (Ad-wet, specifically)....    That [expletive] kills EVERYTHING....   Sometimes takes more than one application, but darned if it doesn't do a number on whatever it touches....   of course, that means I have to be *really* careful what I get it on...   The grape hyacinth still shows up occasionally (dormant bulb wakes up I guess), but a quick spritz of the mix and it's toast.... 

Occasionally get a shoot of blackberry popping up (I'm guessing birds are dropping seeds as they fly out of the blackberry vines across the street)  but a quick hit of that and it's dead too...   

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2015, 09:30:25 PM »
Boiling water for a spot application.  Or 20% acetic acid vinegar.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton