Author Topic: Fire and forget rifle.  (Read 5469 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Fire and forget rifle.
« on: November 29, 2012, 08:23:50 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvbyAcYjzlc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It is a self-adjusting scope for conventional rifles and ammunition.  The shooter designates the target through the scope, the scope calculates the needed hold, the rifle fires when the shooter aligns the firing solution with the designated target. Pretty neat.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Fire and forget rifle.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 08:39:37 AM »
Just over a month to see what the MSRP is.

I want it, and won't even insist on a pair of moccasins as a deal sweetener.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 08:49:02 AM »
I think Burris makes something like that already.
http://www.burrisoptics.com/laserscope.html
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 08:56:22 AM »
Will it gut and skin your deer for you  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 09:25:39 AM »
I wonder how it will work for:

A) Moving targets
B) Wind
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 10:05:53 AM »
That's pretty cool, but I sadly have to agree with the likely truth of the first comment to the video:

I wonder how long it'll take the BATF to ban this... Probably in the range of 87 minutes
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 10:13:46 AM »
oops :facepalm:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 10:31:34 AM by brimic »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 10:35:21 AM »
Will it gut and skin your deer for you  ???

Will it co-witness with my iron sights?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 10:40:05 AM »
I have seriously wondered about some sort of gyroscopic dampening device  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 11:07:33 AM »
They used to have (maybe still do) gyroscope dampers for cameras, so that you can hand-hold a camera from an airplane or something and still get steady images. If you can find one, they have a convenient 1/4" tripod thread; I'm sure you could rig something up for a gun.

The auto-firing thing sounds like a real safety problem, not to mention the legalities. I'm very hesitant to allow electronics into guns, not for technical reasons but for legal reasons. I saw what happened to paintball when the electronic markers caught on. The definition of 'semi-auto' became very very grey, to say the least. An electronic trigger implies a switch. Everyone knows that switches bounce and need either electrical or software debouncing. The implementation of that algorithm leaves a whole lot to interpretation. Software is capable of detecting and queuing every switch bounce, and waiting until the action is ready to fire again and then immediately doing so as long as there is a trigger pull in the queue. It's very common in paintball software to do just that. Will the BATF consider each switch bounce 'a trigger activation'? Even with mechanical guns, there is always a delay between the trigger actuation and the firing of the gun. What happens when we can make that delay as long as we want via software?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 11:22:22 AM »
They used to have (maybe still do) gyroscope dampers for cameras, so that you can hand-hold a camera from an airplane or something and still get steady images. If you can find one, they have a convenient 1/4" tripod thread; I'm sure you could rig something up for a gun.

Quite a bit of mass difference between a rifle and a camera.  =|

Everyone knows that switches bounce and need either electrical or software debouncing.

I doubt that quite everyone knows that  ;)

I'm not an EE but I happen to know that from working on controls software.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 01:03:27 PM »
Quite a bit of mass difference between a rifle and a camera.  =|

Maybe between a rifle and a modern wimpy miniature digital camera. The one I saw was on a Pentax 6x7 with a 70mm roll film back. With a big lens, I'm sure it weighed 6+ pounds.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 01:19:38 PM »
Maybe between a rifle and a modern wimpy miniature digital camera. The one I saw was on a Pentax 6x7 with a 70mm roll film back. With a big lens, I'm sure it weighed 6+ pounds.

Okay  =)

An adapter to mount on a front sling post  ???   =|

zahc

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 02:43:27 PM »
Well there's always this:

http://www.bushhawk.com/

--Tallpine

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 03:31:57 PM »
Any electrically actuated firearm is declared a machine gun by the ATF. *expletive deleted*ing fascist twits.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 04:11:42 PM »
Any electrically actuated firearm is declared a machine gun by the ATF. *expletive deleted* fascist twits.

I thought that as well, but given as how this is a bolt action rifle, I might deliver one to the tech branch and ask them to get it to fire two rounds on one pull.  (I'm assuming the manufacturer has some kind of disconnect built in)

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 05:20:45 PM »
Whatever happened to that hunting ranch in TX that wanted to allow people to hunt via an internet connection?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2012, 09:20:15 PM »
I didn't think this scope fired the gun, but just told you when you were on.  I was wondering if this thing had some sort of heart beat stabilization.  Also, It would seem to me that you would need to load up a batch foe ammo identically for powder and bullet weight and then somehow teach the scope the right trajectory for that ammo batch.  Maybe I am missing something.  Any thoughts?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2012, 09:58:19 PM »
I thought that as well, but given as how this is a bolt action rifle, I might deliver one to the tech branch and ask them to get it to fire two rounds on one pull.  (I'm assuming the manufacturer has some kind of disconnect built in)

Knowing some of the BS they've pulled in the testing office before I wouldn't be surprised if "managed to get it to fire two rounds" was interpreted as "lets add an additional armature and servos to operate the bolt handle and then rebuild the whole system so it pulls the trigger again despite not being originally built to be able to and then charge an innocent citizen with manufacturing a machine gun."

(Just a little bit bitter. Just a little.)

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 11:59:45 AM »
I thought I remember seeing an article somewhere about something like that built for the Barret .50 cals. It didn't fire automatically though.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 12:49:56 PM »
I will say that as a stand alone unit, a quality optic combined with a laser range finder, barometer, thermometer and hygrometer would be sweet. Zero the scope like normal at a known distance/elevation/temperature/humidity and program those variables into the ballistic calculation system. Now when out in the field, point your crosshairs at your target, hit a button for determining the range, then have the system automatically calculate the drop based on all the above instruments, and then have it adjust adjust an overlaid second reticle to exact correct elevation point.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 05:38:45 PM »
I thought I remember seeing an article somewhere about something like that built for the Barret .50 cals. It didn't fire automatically though.

Barret has the BORS scope. Similar to this, but it only calculates the drop.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 05:15:42 PM »
Knowing some of the BS they've pulled in the testing office before I wouldn't be surprised if "managed to get it to fire two rounds" was interpreted as "lets add an additional armature and servos to operate the bolt handle and then rebuild the whole system so it pulls the trigger again despite not being originally built to be able to and then charge an innocent citizen with manufacturing a machine gun."

(Just a little bit bitter. Just a little.)
or just say it did and not release the test methods. [tinfoil]

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 08:30:43 AM »
"Just set it, and forget it!"

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 08:45:03 AM »
Any electrically actuated firearm is declared a machine gun by the ATF.
Not yet they haven't . . . if you know otherwise, please direct me to the ATF's determination that the Remington Model 700 E-tronix is now considered to be a machine gun.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain