Author Topic: Need advice on new gun safe  (Read 6627 times)

CAnnoneer

• friend
Need advice on new gun safe
« on: December 17, 2012, 01:04:22 PM »
I'd like to get some advice about purchasing a new gun safe. I am looking for something practical that can comfortably hold 3 rifles and a dozen pistols, plus ammunition and some leftover space for slow expansion of the collection. So, what makes are best, how is the pricing, any special deals, etc.? Also, technical features, e.g. fireproof, dial vs keypad, etc.

Many thanks in advance.

Chuck Dye

• friend
Re: Need advice on new gun safe
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 01:28:50 PM »
When I shopped for mine, I concluded that the best safe (or Residential Security Container, RSC) purchase is a moving target heavily dependent on what dealer is offering what deal.  After buying a National Security Classic 30, I found Sportsmans and had a severe case of buyers remorse based on thermal protection for the dollar (my home is remote and visited only at long intervals, so the primary protection I get from my safe is from fire.)

Shop within your price limit, look hard at what you are protecting and protecting it from.  If you select a half ton RSC such as mine, look hard at getting it delivered by professionals.  I bought a 900 pound safe, collected it from a warehouse, hired some local highschoolers to help get it from the SUV into the house.  We managed the deed with some savings and without injuries or damages, but far too much luck and risk were involved (we lost control of the beast for a second, would have had unacceptable injuries had we not had a safety rope from the lift point to a rafter.)

If you buy such a beast as I did, look hard at securing it to the floor (bolt down is designed into the good ones) or wall.  There are safety concerns as well as security concerns.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 01:42:18 PM »
Take a look locally for welding shops or local safe guys that specialize in gun safes. I got a really great deal on my big one from the local shop where my folks live. I was able to have input on the interior design and specs for a pretty custom safe. They did an S&G lock and free delivery and placement in the room as well. Sometimes the local guys looking to make a living are willing to give you a good deal on price.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 03:01:17 PM »
I would take a hard look at Sturdy Safe's products. Not at all pretty, but very well made.

http://www.sturdysafe.com/

And I like the very blunt rationale behind each piece of the way theythey do things that they lay out on the site.
I promise not to duck.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 03:28:33 PM »
First things first... what's your budget?  Discussing size/features/ratings is a useless waste of time without knowing your budget.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 04:07:18 PM »
First things first... what's your budget?  Discussing size/features/ratings is a useless waste of time without knowing your budget.

Brad

+1
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 04:53:47 PM »
I never had the money for a good one until a buddy of mine was moving, and sold his Liberty safe to me for $600. It's not a fireproof safe.

Used safes are hard to find, and expensive to move. If you're going to have it moved to or from a place that has any stairs at all, hire pros, though. One of the pros moving mine just about got crushed as they took it up the stairs. Pro's are insured, friends aren't.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 05:24:40 PM »
Ditto on the stairs and movers. I hired a pro safe mover. Even with my nephew and I helping, it was an adventure putting it where I wanted it.  I will sell it with the house if I move someday.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 05:47:17 PM »
I would take a hard look at Sturdy Safe's products. Not at all pretty, but very well made.

http://www.sturdysafe.com/

And I like the very blunt rationale behind each piece of the way theythey do things that they lay out on the site.

Thanks for the link AJ, those look great.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 06:04:27 PM »
http://www.libertysafe.com/products-liberty-safes-pt-1.html

My second safe is a Liberty Revere line. Cheapest of their line but head and shoulders above the ones sold at Dicks/Sports Authority/Sams Club.

My First RSC was a $700  Sams Club special, and the Liberty is way better.

Delivery and placement is fun. I paid for curb delivery and muscled it in, but I have a one story house.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 06:59:54 PM »
I have a National Security, Liberty safe.  Classic 30.  I got it maybe 15 years ago.  When I went to the place that sold them, I got a break because they had scratch and dented for discounts.  (They're not dented, just paint usually knocked off them)  Iirc it cost me $1800.00 delivered.

I think you'll have to pay a couple grand for a good safe that stands up against fire and burglary.  it will cost you a couple hundred plus for delivery, depending distance to where you live and the trouble to get it placed.  I highly recommend pro delivery. 

The thing with fire is that you need to be careful when you read the label on the fire protection.  Many of the them give you AVERAGES of heat and time.  That is not good.  Mine lists 45 minutes at 1,638 degrees produced the highest temperature inside of 275 degrees during that 45 minutes at 1638 degrees.  That's excellent fire protection.  As for burglary, they are well put together and have guarantees about that.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 08:24:44 PM »
Whatever you get, buy as big as you can afford.  I've found we put all manner of stuff in ours; important documents, PM's, and more.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 08:28:08 PM »
Whatever you get, buy as big as you can afford.  I've found we put all manner of stuff in ours; important documents, PM's, and more.

This. Notice my mention of my second safe. You will outgrow what you thought you needed.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 08:51:29 PM »
I got a Fort Knox, and I need another.  I got a good deal (dealer was a friend of a friend).

The important thing, GET A GOOD LOCK.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 09:02:11 PM »
What Jamisjockey said.  A safe within your safe, adding additional thermal protection for precious documents and other stuff, is a worthwhile consideration.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 09:09:16 PM »
If you are going to move around more than once in a decade or if it's going to be hard to get the safe placed (whether due to stairs, tight spaces, lack of pro help, etc.) I have to heartilly recommend Zanotti safes.  I moved 3 times in as many years after getting and the ability to break it down into 6 panels was a life saver.  Customer service has also been stellar.
Formerly sumpnz

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 10:19:26 AM »
My budget is up to 1k. My wife is primarily concerned about our 1 yr old somehow getting to the guns and loading them, which is astronomically unlikely, but she just wants to eliminate that. I am more concerned about fire protection, especially for the ammunition, as well as in case of a burglary or earthquake.

Our house is 1-storey, so access should be relatively easy. I am thinking of putting it in the garage, which we use as storage. Of course, that also makes it easier for a burglar to take it out of there, but what can you do?

How about dial vs keypad? Is there any biometrics? Is it worth it?

Thanks again.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 10:32:58 AM »
I'm not a fan of electronic locks.  If the power fails or batteries go dead the lock is useless.  They have keyed backups but then you are back to the chance of a key lock getting picked or the key found/stolen.
Formerly sumpnz

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 01:12:20 PM »
I've got a Ft. Knox. It's as big as I could buy and still get downstairs. It was a discontinued model, which I got from the dealer for a really good price (I've known him for years). I also have a smaller American Security Products safe that my Dad and I bought back in the 1980s. It's still at my Mom's, I need to get it out of her pantry.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 01:19:06 PM »
Group II  dial combination for sure. I've heard too many stories of people locked out of their safes, even high end ones with keypads.

Wherever you put it, bolt it down, if the garage is your only access to concrete, that's actually better than a wood floor.

The climate issue in a garage is a concern, but the security is more important. It's also a good idea to put it into a corner with the opening edge of the door against the corner to reduce the working room and prybar leverage.

For me, theft was more important than fire, in a fire at least I'd know where my guns were, it's the idea some low-life has my collection that's unbearable to me.

Also, the garage might afford more opportunity to camouflage the safe. You could buy a cheap off-brand plastic Rubbermaid type storage cabinet, the type for basement or garage stuff, cut the back off of it and put it over the safe.
I promise not to duck.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 04:53:58 PM »
I didn't have to worry about bolting my safe down.

It took heavy equipment to get it down the basement steps, and it BARELY fit. Loaded it also weighs nearly 1,000 pounds, so no one is going to be able to schlep it up the steps.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 05:41:14 PM »
wanna double security of safe? any box. hide it.if theives don't know you have it they won't bring tools to pop it.and any box under 2 k can be popped pretty easy.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 08:03:04 PM »
I didn't have to worry about bolting my safe down.

It took heavy equipment to get it down the basement steps, and it BARELY fit. Loaded it also weighs nearly 1,000 pounds, so no one is going to be able to schlep it up the steps.

It's not about taking the safe.

It's about a thief being able to tip it over and work the door edges with a BIG prybar and all their body weight.

Search YouTube for the "security on sale" video.
I promise not to duck.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 07:57:50 AM »
I went 2 weeks ago to get $900 worth of safe. Anyway, $1900 later plus $250 I'm going to pay when he delivers it I will have a safe. 90 min rated Liberty. I may not even bolt it to the house, just store my lead collection in the bottom. >:D I'm wondering how to rig a DIY phone based alarm that calls me when the line is disconnected, safe is tipped, etc. I live in a looow crime area, a fair amount of gun theft happens but the MO is addict breaks into clearly unoccupied hunt camps in search of guns. I can't think of a burglary of an occupied dwelling there. Not a good long term career choice given the % of gun owners.

I asked to get downgraded to the mechanical lock. I have heard, but not seen that good crooks can bypass an electric easily. I did watch one gun merchant who stored their wares in their display safes struggle to make the morning spread because the elec lock would not function. The saleslady at the safe store said that people express concern with EMP, it was my observation that if we're being nuked then there are most likely larger problems than getting into your gun safe.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 09:14:58 AM »
Plus if its big enough you can hide in it from the gov't brain waves. [tinfoil] Think of it as a big Faraday cage.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods