Author Topic: GPS? (More olde pharte stuff)  (Read 4432 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
GPS? (More olde pharte stuff)
« on: August 24, 2013, 10:21:28 PM »
Now that I've made a preliminary foray into the mysterious universe of the intelligent telecommunications device, I find myself also becoming curious about these vehicle GPS units. My wife has one (a Tom Tom), which I have used twice. It twice failed to take me to the intended destination without some swearing and other, non-verbal forms of persuasion. That one is about two years old now. At the time, my daughter claimed that Tom Tom was the highest rated automobile GPS on the market.

So, fast forward to today. For an entry-level or lower mid-level unit, what's best? Tom Tom, Garmin, or Magellan? What's good and what's bad about each?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: GPS? (More olde pharte stuff)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 10:31:35 PM »
I'm a Garmin man. Airplanes, boats, land nav, car GPSes, I've used Garmin exclusively.

I have never like TomToms. I've seen a lot more incorrect data with them than other brands. I've had two Garmin car units. Both were fairly reliably accurate except in just plain really rural areas with dirt roads type situations. If your destination was on a paved road, then it was usually accurate.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 10:42:59 PM »
These still seem to work pretty well

http://store.randmcnally.com/us-maps.html
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 11:25:29 PM »
I'm a Garmin man. Airplanes, boats, land nav, car GPSes, I've used Garmin exclusively.

I have never like TomToms. I've seen a lot more incorrect data with them than other brands. I've had two Garmin car units. Both were fairly reliably accurate except in just plain really rural areas with dirt roads type situations. If your destination was on a paved road, then it was usually accurate.

in northern NV and norCal /Idaho/ Oregon  etc they have gotten people  lost and killed - handy in towns but I am irked that they seem to have replaced maps....I love maps
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 12:01:03 AM »
in northern NV and norCal /Idaho/ Oregon  etc they have gotten people  lost and killed

No they haven't.

Dumbasses who are *expletive deleted*ing idiots have gotten themselves killed because they did stupid stuff like following GPS directions to the middle of nowhere instead of questioning "Well does it really make sense that the GPS directions are taking me offroad..."

Trust me I deal with that type of idiot on a daily basis. Harsh as it sounds, they brought their own demise by being complete and utter dumbasses. You can't fix that kind of stupid when people refuse to think for themselves.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 12:20:12 AM »
in northern NV and norCal /Idaho/ Oregon  etc they have gotten people  lost and killed - handy in towns but I am irked that they seem to have replaced maps....I love maps

I love maps, too. I have shelves full of them, all kinds -- from AAA road maps, to road maps issued by various states, to any number of Rand McNally road atlases (even one of their pocket atlases, which they have regrettably discontinued), lots of USGS maps, and any number of east coast navigation charts (nautical, not aeronautical).

I'm still thinking a GPS might be interesting to play with.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 02:20:18 AM »
GPS, or Generally Poor Stationing, is not nesessarily the best locating device. MAPS, or Mercifully Ambiguous Positioning Services, can place you in a much more advantageous location for unexpected local social interaction.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 02:43:15 AM »
GPS, or Generally Poor Stationing, is not nesessarily the best locating device. MAPS, or Mercifully Ambiguous Positioning Services, can place you in a much more advantageous location for unexpected local social interaction.

Brad, I have found myself in need of directional assistance in parts of several large, northeastern cities where a person of my general pigmentation would be well advised NOT to stop and ask for directions. (And that was long before George Zimmerman murdered poor Trayvon Martin in cold blood.) If all a GPS could do for me in such locations is to get me out of Dodge ... that alone would be a blessing.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 02:47:14 AM »
In Dodge is bad. In Chrysler or Cadillac, no problem...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 02:51:46 AM »
If you are going to deal mostly with urban/suburban navigation, WAZE (the free version) on your smartphone is better than any of the other map apps I have seen.  It might be because it provides for user input to correct errors or add new streets as they appear.  My current version suggested that going to London via NYC would involve boarding a ferry - but did not name the ferry.  Much better than Google Maps that would have me take a hard right and drive across the pond.  Google also does not figure out, based on basic data I input, both when I am going to need to stop for gas and show me the lowest prices in the vicinity.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 10:29:15 AM »
My friend has some sort of tablet with gps/maps that they call the "talking lady."  It seems to work pretty well in big cities, especially where you have these 3 or 4 lane exit ramps that then split off into several directions depending on which lane you are in.  Sometimes I got damn tired of them turning in on just to go somewhere that we've been several times   ;/

Out here in the rural west, the GPS directions are worse than useless.  Every time someone comes out here with GPS, it tries to direct them down some ranch 2-track or some private road that is closed off because the two people that live out there don't want traffic coming through.  :facepalm:

If one used it just to confirm that you are now at the junction of X and Y roads where I already told you to turn right instead of left - then it could be useful.  Or you could just take note that you are at the top of the hill where the pavement ends that I already told you about.  :P

Just as a note, about the worst place to find my way around anymore is Colorado Springs.  They have changed everything so nothing is where I expect it to be.  I'm better off in a strange town that I know nothing about.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 10:48:24 AM »
I'm an old school map guy....and discovered that GPS is awesome.  I use the map for route planning and the GPS for route following.
We have a Garmin that rarely steers us wrong.
I routinely use the Google maps app on my iPhone, and it does good, even rural areas out here.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 11:07:23 AM »
I use the map for route planning and the GPS for route following.

Luddite!   :P   

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 01:13:10 PM »
Two things.

1)  Make sure you change the girl's voice on the device to a British accent.  (Boomhauer, is Fiona still telling you where to go?)

2)  Use common sense.  About two years ago a bunch of my old Army buds were doing a meet in Peoria, IL.  One of them was from KC, MO.  It was a Friday after work and they had spent the evening loading 5 kids (ages 13-1) in the family truckster, so by the time they hit the road it was pretty late.  She hit "Shortest Route" on the GPS and took the first driving shift.  He tried but couldn't go to sleep, due to the constant needs/whinging/crying of the kids.  Finally they traded off, and she went to sleep in the front seat as the kids had pretty well wore themselves and had fallen asleep.  Then suddenly she woke-up and and as she describes it.

"I woke up to corn fields on both sides of the van.  I came to realize what woke me up was that the road was very rough.  As my eyes focused I realized we were on a dirt road.  In the middle of Illinois.  I looked at Jeff and he had that solid look of determination.  I slowly ask 'Umm, honey what are doing on a dirt road in between two cornfields in the middle of Illinois.'  He answered with that sudden realization that, Oooops, this just NOT right. 'Ummm I was only following the GPS.'  And sure enough the GPS had picked the most direct route to Peoria.  Which involved farm roads and cutting through crop fields.  At the the next gravel road they re-programmed the GPS to take a more well traveled route.  You know, those involving Interstate Highways and other paved roads.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 01:25:15 AM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 02:39:43 PM »
And sure enough the GPS had picked the most direct route to Peoria.  Which involved farm roads and cutting through crop field. 

You did have four wheel drive, right?

=D

æg151337

• Gamera Public Relations Slave
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2013, 03:17:53 PM »
I use the google navigator app most of the time and haven't had too many problems i couldn't work around. I try to avoid using my GPS whenever i can though especially in new areas. I found that when i rely on my GPS I don't take the time to remember all the streets and landmarks i normally would. I could drive around in a town for a year and still be lost if i used my GPS the entire time. It was useful however when i got coordinates instead of an address to a gun shoot event. The one time i did need to get on an dirt road to nowhere. My little toyota corolla didn't like it though.
Gamera! Gamera!
Gamera is really neat!
Gamera is filled with meat!
We've been eating GA-MER-AAAA!!!!!

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2013, 03:59:49 PM »
i recomend garmin.  be smart and get one with lifetime free updates.  they cost a little more, but you can download the latest maps and not end up with a useless pice of equipment.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

grampster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2013, 04:49:14 PM »
I use Garmin.  It gets me through Atlanta where the interstate signs cause paranoid delusions.

I also like it to bait the lady in the machine.  I have made her weep and ask me "Why, why do you defy me?  Why, why won't your listen to me?  Why, why do you make me recalculate?  I need rest, I need....brrrrrrrrrrrrppppp...sssssssssss....clank."
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2013, 04:50:29 PM »
I use the GPS feature on my phone - it works fine and has all the same features as a stand alone device, but it's already right there, on my phone. Should be on yours too, Hawkmoon.

Though if I'm missing something, please advise.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2013, 09:15:12 PM »
I use GPS Drive by Motion X for the iPhone.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2013, 09:36:35 PM »
I use the google app on my phone, works fine most of the time. Most common weirdness is having the exact location of the address be at the wrong part of a street.

Now, if my wife could learn to read/follow the damn thing.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2013, 10:59:12 PM »
I'm an old school map guy....and discovered that GPS is awesome.  I use the map for route planning and the GPS for route following.
We have a Garmin that rarely steers us wrong.
I routinely use the Google maps app on my iPhone, and it does good, even rural areas out here.

That's how we use our Garmin.  It comes in handy knowing when to expect the next turn, especially in heavy traffic driving a 32' motorhome.

We depended on the Garmin to properly route us once.  Once.  Told it to take us to our destination using bus routing.  Those must have been some very small buses.

We live about 2 miles from the center of a small town, if you don't follow the GPS directions.  If you do, you're going to take an 8 mile trip along some rough dirt roads.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2013, 12:49:43 AM »
I use Google Maps and Navigator almost exclusively. The latest versions show you the entire route, and have alternatives. Check the route before driving and you'll be fine. Laziness or more politely, lack of double checking is 99% of all GPS troubles.

Maps are nice, and a good backup, but I prefer GPS. When in doubt, pull over and do some research.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2013, 04:41:45 AM »
Just for grins once I asked Google to map out a route from Denver to Honolulu.  Had me go up to Seattle, some pier or something, and then paddle my canoe to Honolulu.

Got my grin, that's fer sure.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2013, 01:28:53 PM »
Smartphone GPS is awesome when it works.  If you're doing any navigating where you don't get good data service, you can be SOL.

I've had a GPS try to send me through bad or nonexistent roads.  It's really not a big deal, and if you go in generally the right direction it'll eventually figure out how to get you back to the right route.  Pretty handy, that.