Author Topic: GPS? (More olde pharte stuff)  (Read 4433 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: GPS? (More olde pharte stuff)
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2013, 01:34:40 PM »
On my recent cross-country trip, I alternated between using "old school" tech and GPS.

Old school = maps plus asking directions plus just accepting the exploratory nature of driving.

GPS got me from point A to point B more easily, but I had a lot more fun and got to know the area better when I would pre-plan with a map and interact more with my environment. 

And I did experience the fun of losing data connection while relying upon GPS.  Several times.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: GPS? (More olde pharte stuff)
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2013, 02:36:19 PM »
Smartphone GPS is awesome when it works.  If you're doing any navigating where you don't get good data service, you can be SOL.

I've had a GPS try to send me through bad or nonexistent roads.  It's really not a big deal, and if you go in generally the right direction it'll eventually figure out how to get you back to the right route.  Pretty handy, that.

It's not a big deal if you're not too stupid to follow a goat trail through Death Valley  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin