Author Topic: Bike Panniers?  (Read 4005 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Bike Panniers?
« on: April 15, 2014, 01:44:43 PM »
So against my better judgment I'm going to start riding my bike to work a few times a week. I did this several years ago and about got killed by a person backing out a driveway at a high rate of speed, so I have driven to work ever since then. I've scouted out a little safer route to work that is .5 mile further and once the weather stabilizes I'll start riding.

I have a Trek MTB that I have converted to a commuting/distance bike. I have a really solid rack (pannier ready) on the back and trunk bag, but I need some more space to haul a few more items back and forth to work.

Been looking at panniers, and I like the grocery basket type (not metal but a nylon mesh) and I was wondering if anyone had some brands to recommend and is it weird to ride with just one pannier for balance reasons?

My trunk bag carries my crap if I get a flat, mini tool set, extra batteries for the lights, etc. So its pretty full.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Bike Panniers?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 02:04:16 PM »
What are you going to carry in them?

Lots of good options depending on your budget and tastes.

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 02:27:58 PM »
What are you going to carry in them?

Lots of good options depending on your budget and tastes.

Chris

My back pack, usually has a few books in it and my lunch, but I'm also thinking a run to grocery and liquor store.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator

Uranus is a gas giant.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 02:47:04 PM »
The panniers I listed above will work with that.  I used them to carry my laptop, change of clothes, lunch, and other items while commuting by bike.  I also was able to pack enough for a solo camping trip in them.

Chris

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 04:01:49 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 04:05:09 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 04:58:51 PM »
and I like the grocery basket type (not metal but a nylon mesh)

My back pack, usually has a few books in it and my lunch, but I'm also thinking a run to grocery and liquor store.

What I did on mine, was order out (Container Store.com or some such) a heavy duty "milk crate" (flimsy ones from Wally World or Staples won't hold up) and zip tie it to my rack.  Now I have a place for a backpack, grocery bag, etc.  Not to mention, a place to mount a great big reflective "slow moving vehicle" thingee.  Anything to help the zoned out idiots see me.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 08:09:34 PM »
One pannier isn't odd at all. I have a small set, one bag will hold lunch, extra clothes and the rest of my crap easily.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 12:09:07 AM »
For easy grocery getting and such, I use these:
http://www.meijer.com/s/m-wave-double-day-tripper-pannier-bike-bag/_/R-123891

Not easy on-off, but they're reasonably stiff, and the whole top flips open, so it's easy to just drop bags and such in.  Either side will easily hold 3 6 packs of soda with room for a big bag of chips too.  One quick release buckle broke when the bike fell on pavement with a load in that side, but I've been too lazy to fix it since the top stays down pretty well without it.  Had them about 3 years now, and except for that buckle, they're still fully serviceable.

For other rides, I sometimes use one or both of a pair of cheap WalMart backpacks with plywood inserts, hooks on top screwed through into the insert, and the halves of a flat bungee cord screwed on at the bottom for the lower attachment.  Reasonably quick on-off, and less bulky than the M-Wave, and it took some tweaking to avoid heel strike.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator

Uranus is a gas giant.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 10:12:06 AM »
If you have cats, this may work well for you: http://www.instructables.com/id/KITTY-litter-pannier/

A friend of mine uses and loves them for their utility (and amusement factor).

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 10:16:28 AM »
If you have cats, this may work well for you: http://www.instructables.com/id/KITTY-litter-pannier/

A friend of mine uses and loves them for their utility (and amusement factor).

Chris

That's awesome! If I ever get a Kawasaki KLR (wife give me the OK to get a motorcycle) I'm going to make those for panniers on it.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 10:29:05 AM »
My buddy has a Surly Big Dummy with kitty litter panniers he made.

He can haul a lot of gear!

« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 10:56:14 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 10:36:22 AM »
Ron, the guy I mentioned above uses those panniers on his Big Dummy.

He's nearly 100% car-free.

Chris

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 10:41:39 AM »
Geez, those kitty litter panniers are awfully darn clever.  And here I have several bikes and a Suzuki DL650......

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 09:55:57 AM »
Anyone familiar with these? Lots of the granola grinders at work have them on their bikes.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FY429A/ref=dra_a_cs_mr_hn_it_P3028_100?tag=dradisplay-20

Uranus is a gas giant.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 10:02:05 AM »
I have seen the Jandd units up close and personal at REI.  Very well made, and Jandd makes high-quality equipment.  I liked how they unclipped so you could carry them into the store and load up your groceries in them.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 11:28:27 AM »
Anyone familiar with these? Lots of the granola grinders at work have them on their bikes.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FY429A/ref=dra_a_cs_mr_hn_it_P3028_100?tag=dradisplay-20

At $63 each, you might as well get some good touring panniers.  The advantage, IMO, with the M-Waves I posted earlier is that they're fairly big and the top opens all the way, so it's easy to set bags, six packs, etc. into them.  They won't quite hold a 17" laptop, though, so that was my main drive in making my homemade backpack panniers.  That, and at $23 for the set, I don't really care if I have to replace them every few years.  I've got three years on the current set, so that's well under $.75/mo if they fall apart tomorrow.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 12:33:01 PM »
At $63 each, you might as well get some good touring panniers.  The advantage, IMO, with the M-Waves I posted earlier is that they're fairly big and the top opens all the way, so it's easy to set bags, six packs, etc. into them.  They won't quite hold a 17" laptop, though, so that was my main drive in making my homemade backpack panniers.  That, and at $23 for the set, I don't really care if I have to replace them every few years.  I've got three years on the current set, so that's well under $.75/mo if they fall apart tomorrow.

But I want open air ones, like grocery baskets/bags.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 12:49:24 PM »

and I'd have to modify the Mwaves to work with my trunk that attached to the top of the rack.

Uranus is a gas giant.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 02:01:18 PM »
and I'd have to modify the Mwaves to work with my trunk that attached to the top of the rack.

How does it attach?  They have a  couple of slots for the rat trap already.  If it's no wider than the rack top itself, even punching holes and running bolts through would just be securing them to the bike even more.  If it's wider than the rack, most panniers are going to be a problem.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2014, 02:49:32 PM »
How does it attach?  They have a  couple of slots for the rat trap already.  If it's no wider than the rack top itself, even punching holes and running bolts through would just be securing them to the bike even more.  If it's wider than the rack, most panniers are going to be a problem.

Five Velcro straps.

Uranus is a gas giant.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2014, 03:07:36 PM »
Five Velcro straps.

Might need some creativity, then.  What model is it?