Main Forums > The Roundtable

How much emergency cash to keep on hand?

<< < (9/10) > >>

Brad Johnson:

--- Quote from: cordex on February 07, 2023, 11:07:28 AM ---My grandpa keeps a copy of his will in his chest freezer in the basement.

No idea how that would stand up in a fire, but I'd bet better than the little fabric "fireproof" baggies.

--- End quote ---

File it at County Clerk's office.

Brad

K Frame:
A freezer is better than nothing, but it's not a great choice.

Any really important stuff goes into a small fire resistant lock box that goes in my fire resistant gun safe.

I also scan important documents so that I have an electronic record.

MillCreek:
Important paper documents go into a fire-resistant lock box and are also scanned to my Google drive, so I can access them anywhere I can get computer access.

Ben:

--- Quote from: cordex on February 07, 2023, 11:02:01 AM ---You know, I got one of those fire resistant document pouches a while back thrown in with a pistol safe.  I don't have much faith in it, but I'm up for sacrificing it and a couple of $1 bills for science.  Think I should just toss it in the burn barrel with some cardboard or should I build a drywall box to put it in to try to replicate a safe's fire resistant layer?

--- End quote ---

That would be a great experiment. I would think maybe use the drywall box. I'm guessing the box would be much less fire/heat resistant than a decent safe, so if the money in the bag survives in there, it would survive inside of a fire resistant safe.

RoadKingLarry:
You could probably use plan paper and find out what you need to know.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version