Author Topic: (Follow Up)'British much more intelligent and civilized than the Americans'...  (Read 1874 times)

Desertdog

• friends

Gwyneth Paltrow declares: 'I'm proud to be American'
Actress claims she was misquoted by news media, would never say British more intelligent, civilized
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=53230

California-born actress Gwyneth Paltrow denies anti-American comments attributed to her, despite being quoted by a newspaper as saying, "The British are much more intelligent and civilized than the Americans."

"I felt so upset to be completely misconstrued and I never, ever would have said that," the 34-year-old Oscar winner tells People magazine. "I definitely did not say that I think the British are more intelligent and civilized than Americans. I am a New York girl, that's how I always think of myself and see myself."

The complete quote to "NS," the weekend magazine supplement of daily Portuguese newspaper Diario de Noticias on Saturday, stated:

"I love the English lifestyle, it's not as capitalistic as America. People don't talk about work and money, they talk about interesting things at dinner," Paltrow said. "I like living here because I don't fit into the bad side of American psychology. The British are much more intelligent and civilized than the Americans."

But Paltrow is now suggesting she was misunderstood.

"First of all I feel so lucky to be American. When you look at the rest of the world, we're so lucky, and that's something my dad always instilled in me," she told People. "I feel so proud to be American."

She says the comments she made at news conference in Europe were in Spanish.

"This is what I said. I said that Europe is a much older culture and there's a difference. I always say in America, people live to work and in Europe, people work to live. There are positives in both," Paltrow said, adding, "Obviously I need to go back to seventh-grade Spanish!"

"Hating America is an old tradition in Europe and Britain," said Fox News host John Gibson. "I'm constantly amazed that it is a theme that will just not go away. So, Gwynie says the Brits are smarter and more civilized. What else is new? She is not acceptable in British society unless she says that. You have to hate America to get invited to dinner. And once you are at dinner, you better have a few things to say about how awful America and Americans are."

Paltrow, who starred in "Shakespeare in Love" and "Shallow Hal," lives part-time in London with her British husband, Coldplay singer Chris Martin, and their two children, Apple, 2, and Moses, 7 months.

As WND previously reported, Paltrow, who once said she would not raise her child in the United States because her homeland is too dangerous, eventually changed her mind about her residency.

"I've been here as much as there," she said. "I'm sticking around."

In January 2004, Paltrow stated: "I worry about bringing up a child in America.

"At the moment there's a weird, over-patriotic atmosphere over there, like, 'We're number one and the rest of the world doesn't matter.'"

She added: "And the guns in school  it's not great."

Paltrow raised the ire of many patriotic Americans by saying: "I just had a baby and thought, 'I don't want to live there.' Bush's anti-environment, pro-war policies are a [disgrace]."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
7th grade Spanish AND American history 101!

I'll believe when/if   I see transcripts and video.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Someone please explain why I should care what this woman says?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
She must be awful smart - she was in that Shakespeare movie!  Shakespeare is some real intelectual stuff, you know!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Desertdog

• friends
Someone please explain why I should care what this woman says?
Nobody should.  The post on her were just to illustrate how out of touch "stars" and "the media" are.  To me, her remarks should never have hit the news.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Her sudden reversal illustrates that the outrage over her remarks is starting to sting.  Popularity is the primary asset of any celebrity, and she's hemorrhaging popularity thanks to her insults to America.  Maybe next time she (and others like her) will think twice.

Take note, those of you who find the furor over her remarks to be amusing.  Our furor is working.  Paltrow now finds herself on the receiving end of an attitude adjustment.

BakerMikeRomeo

On the plus side, one of her kids is named Moses! That is sweet, and by sweet, I mean totally awesome.

~GnSx
"Is Moses gonna have to choke a gentile?"

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
She is very nice to look at.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
She is very nice to look at.
Only in that stewardess movie.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
I didn't see that one.

She looked good in the Shakespeare movie.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
If you think Ann Coulter is too skinny to be attractive, Paltrow is in the same, "Feed her a sandwich" state.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
Maybe she'll look like Coulter in another decade. Who knows.

Skinny can be fine. All skinny women do not look alike, though.