Author Topic: Moving via "Penske" truck... weigh stations?  (Read 13540 times)

Third_Rail

• friend
Moving via "Penske" truck... weigh stations?
« on: December 05, 2006, 12:54:38 PM »
I noted that on the "important rental information" sheet I was given when I made a reservation to rent a moving truck from Penske that it states "9. You are required to enter all weigh and/or agricultural stations".

So, does this mean that when we're driving along we simply stop in at weigh stations marked as "weigh station ahead"? What will we need to do/what do I need to know?

This is so out of my league, I have no idea what exactly is required.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Moving via "Penske" truck... weigh stations?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 02:04:20 PM »
If the weigh station is open, you pull in. Or you can do what the "outlaw" truckers do and find a way around them on the back roads.  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Third_Rail

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 02:07:40 PM »
Once we pull in, what will we need to do? Like I said, I'm completely lost on this, but I'd rather not be pulled over for not stopping at a weigh station

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 02:14:44 PM »
http://www.mdot.state.md.us/MMCP/FAQ.html

Does a rental truck hauling personal property have to stop at Weigh Stations?

All vehicles with a gross vehicle weight or gross vehicle weight rating of greater than 10,000 pounds must stop at Weigh Stations. However, these trucks would not be subject to a Safety Inspection.

http://www.apartmentreviews.net/renting-moving-truck.htm
9. Secure copies of all the pertinent documents of the your rental, i.e., the Truck Rental Agreement, the Truck Inspection Report, and Driver Trip Report. You will need these documents when you go through weigh stations along the highways, and when you return the vehicle.

http://www.uhaul.com/trucks/faq.aspx
On my move, do I need to stop at the weigh stations along the way?
Requirements may vary from state to state and throughout Canada. Each weigh station has a sign that says what you are required to do; just obey the signs. Normally U-Haul customers moving their own household goods are not required to stop, because this is not a commercial move. However, if a truck is over a certain weight it may be required to stop regardless of what is being carried.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 02:16:14 PM »
Don't know where you are, but in Florida, you don't have to pull in.

Third_Rail

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 02:24:28 PM »
Going from CT to OH, taking the route through NY and PA on to OH.

I guess we'll just pull in to be on the safe side. I'd rather not find out first-hand any fines/penalties for not pulling in.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 03:32:38 PM »
Don't stop.  You may not be able to out run them coppers, but you will probably be better arned. grin
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 05:08:42 PM »
You will find it depends on the gross weight of the truck. 

I went from CA to Eastern TN & back with no weigh station stops with a gross weight of 6,000 pounds.

Gross of 25,000 lbs or more, or 3 Axels, you will need a Class B or A commercial liscense, which Penske should have checked to make sure you did.  I would think that anything below this should be OK to not stop, unless you are in commercial service.

Check with your local Highway Patrol to be sure.  I believe you will find the truck laws are the same in every state with the exception of speed limits.

Third_Rail

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 05:12:16 PM »
Or 3 axles? What about a 16' truck, with a car towing platform? They said I only needed a driver's license, not a CDL....

280plus

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 05:13:06 PM »
If you DO have to pull in just tell them you're new and I'm sure they'll accomodate you. Where in CT BTW? Now that you're moving away...  undecided

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 05:16:40 PM »
Or 3 axles? What about a 16' truck, with a car towing platform? They said I only needed a driver's license, not a CDL....
2 axel, under 25,ooo lbs. Class C

Chuck Dye

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 05:23:01 PM »
Obey the signs. 

If you unnecessarily cross a scale you will be ignored unless there is visible cause to pull you in for a visit.  Visible cause will be something you should have spotted on your walk-around and can save your hide. 

While I am not advising a knowing violation, if you by-pass a scale that you should have entered you will likely be ignored as an clueless, idiot four-wheeler out driving something you're not qualified to drive.  Forgiveness being easier than permission, and all that.

Of course, you could call each of the states but you would be depending on the competence of whoever answers.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 05:34:06 PM »
It's pretty well hit or miss too. I rarely see weigh stations open up and down 84 and 91, here in CT anyhoo. It WOULD be a good idea to call each state and ask, I think anyways. forewarned is fore armed.

Third_Rail

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 09:25:43 PM »
Later today, I'll simply call CT, NY, PA, and OH state PD. Hopefully they'll be able to tell me what I need to do.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 04:01:08 AM »
In 2, I moved from Texas to Florida using the biggest U-Haul they had and towing a car trailer.  I didn't stop but then again I didn't know (wasn't informed by U-Haul either) that I might have had to.  I would imagine that it really isn't enforced in these situations.

Greg

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 05:00:46 AM »
Check the side of the truck for its gross weight.  You probably won't have to stop.
I've made this type of move with a rental truck many times over the years and never had to stop.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2006, 09:15:27 AM »
It seem to me that a Uhaul or Penske truck would fall under the same regs as a motorhome. Do A/B motorhomes stop?

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2006, 09:38:34 AM »
I moved over the summer with a 17' uhaul truck and just ignored the weigh stations (trip took me down 95 from Bridgeport to Philly).  Passed lots of cops and troopers in southern CT and NJ, none of them batted an eye.

Chuck Dye

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2006, 10:47:05 AM »
mfree,

Rental trucks are commercial vehicles.  The rules vary by state.  California scales are now specifically signed to require rentals and delivery trucks, formerly exempt, to cross the scales.  Motorhomes are generally not regulated as  commercial vehicles.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2006, 11:39:51 AM »
IN GENERAl, only vehicles "engaged in commerce" under 26,000 pound gross vehicle weight, or any vehicle over that weight, must stop.  Even though the Penske truck is technically a "commercial vehicle", unless you are renting it to DO commerce, (and moving your personal goods ISN'T commerce - moving merchandise is...), and UNLESS your vehicle is capable of AND taxed/tagged to operate at a weight of 26,001 pounds or more (which would require a commercial driver's license, as well....) you SHOULD be OK skipping it - barring any freaky state requirement out of line with any place I've ever driven one.  YMMV...
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2006, 12:18:44 PM »
All rental moving trucks have to stop now.  It's part of the Patriot Act.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Third_Rail

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2006, 01:09:12 PM »
Can you cite law for that?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2006, 06:41:05 PM »
I cannot.  That's one of the sections that was quickly hidden from public view after the entire text of the law was published.  That was right after the part that legislated a layer of microscopic antennae in all commercially-produced tinfoil, so that terrorists and other anti-government liberals wouldn't be able to deflect mind rays.

Third_Rail

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2006, 06:46:01 PM »
Right. I'm not going to stop at the weigh stations - most reports say that unless you're in CA, you don't need to stop.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2006, 04:25:15 AM »
Uh-oh, the neo-cons will be coming to reprogram you soon.  Smiley