Author Topic: Avatars, again!  (Read 1245 times)

BakerMikeRomeo

« on: December 06, 2006, 11:54:39 PM »
I change my avatar here on APS all the time. Mostly because the forum software doesn't fuddle around with the picture (for a counterexample, go to ARFCOM and look at about 95% of the posters' avatars. Horribly squished and warped and downright hideous. Adblock is my only friend!), so I've pretty much got my choice of any legit picture I like for it.

Which brings me to the topic, a semi-resurrection of the old one: when you're looking for a fresh look, where do you go? If you pluck your own from larger pictures, what's your process?

Most of mine so far have come from a webcomic called Questionable Content (www.questionablecontent.net), because of late the guy who does it has turned out a lot of humorous or convenient expressions on characters' faces lately, so I've gotten a pile of good avatars recently.

This paragraph right here was gonna be a little whine fest about how another webcomic I read (Girly (www.go-girly.com)) wasn't too good for the avatar-snatching, because the speech bubbles often cover up parts of faces or whatever I'm trying to get at. Then I went and actually checked and now I've got about fourteen more avatars lined up. This is a total crisis! My entire worldview has been shattered! Woe is somebody else, probably! I only went back five comics in the stupid archive, and now I've got about forty more avatars to cut out. Awesome.  sad

But before I hit another webcomic and start downloading like a nutbag, ma' process is pretty straightforward: box-select tool in Paint. Box, box, box, and rebox until I have a square area that has the thing I want in it, then I crop the picture and save it in a format that won't make it ugly, and file it away until I get bored with my current avatar. Whee!

~GnSx, 4:53 AM

"You see? This is why nobody likes you, it's because of sh[tuff] like this." ~DivX, Penny-Arcade

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Avatars, again!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 04:27:50 AM »
My avatar could beat up your avatar.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 04:46:44 AM »
If I weren't such a dunce, boy howdy Fistful, I'd give you such a retort. It'd be fierce. All the kids all the way in Singapore'd be like, "Ohhhhh, burn!" and surely you would relinquish your Of Dollars in disgrace.

Instead, it's time for a Diet Coke and a handful of Ibuprofen! Huzzah!

~GnSx

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 05:42:18 AM »
Argh!  Mine'll rape and pillage ya matey!

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 05:48:07 AM »
I just use mine own ugly mug.

I figure I cannot get more offensive with my content!  Smiley
Zeke

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 06:16:54 AM »
It's a book good enough to make my avatar. Who knows which one? Wink
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 06:21:10 AM »
Ayn Rand cropped my avatar from a larger picture for me.

I have a bazillion jpgs I've been saving for years, and some of them become avatars.

Twycross

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 07:22:08 AM »
I usually use larger images I like. I used my own mug for a while, but I just get too bored with the same pic all the time. I hope I like the current one for quite a while.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 04:53:05 AM »
I've been meaning to get a digital picture of myself for an avatar.  Dare I unleash the full horror of the fistful?

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 07:37:56 AM »
I just resized mine from a Wikipedia pic, IIRC. Maybe edited it slightly in Paint to make it perfectly square, then finished it off in IrfanView. Funny, I have GIMP but I use an amalgamation of other small programs for this kind of stuff. I have several others sitting on my HD, including my own fugly mug, but I'll spare everyone. Smiley

I'm glad to see everybody has avoided big animated ones so far. I find that terribly distracting when I'm trying to read!
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 07:50:44 AM »
I must say I've come around.  I guess I didn't like avatars in the past because I'd only seen them on, er, low-class forums.  But around here, there seems to be a due amount of discretion in the avatars, and they're very handy for identifying members.  Also, when I come back to a thread, I'm usually looking for my last post, so I can read from there.  Avatars make that much easier. 

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 07:55:39 AM »
(...) they're very handy for identifying members.

Not to mention, they often tell you quite a bit about the member and their likes...

<<< cosine, who really enjoys music and playing the pianoforte  smiley
Andy

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 10:16:05 AM »
But around here, there seems to be a due amount of discretion in the avatars, and they're very handy for identifying members
I suspect thats due in part to the fact that we don't have a bunch of teens and teen-wannabes trying to one-up each other, along with the restriction in the size of the avatar.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 10:17:23 AM »
Did you miss the first response on this thread?  Smiley

molonlabe

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 10:52:21 AM »
I like em.