Author Topic: Tampa theater shooting by ex-police captain  (Read 12631 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Tampa theater shooting by ex-police captain
« on: January 13, 2014, 08:57:12 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/shot-tampa-bay-area-movie-theater-21517384

Wow, a shooting over texting in a movie theater.  By a 71 year old ex-police captain who founded his agency's SWAT team.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Tampa theater shooting by ex-police captain
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 09:01:51 PM »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 10:31:14 PM »
I don't know, on one hand texting during a movie borders on grounds for justifiable homicide.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 10:32:53 PM »
You mean it is not OK to shoot someone texting (or otherwise using their cell phone) in a movie theater?  It ought to be. [tinfoil]

Long line this AM at the cable company when I tried to swap my router.  I did not mind the person a few spots ahead of me talking on their cell phone as they waited and inched forward.  But when they got to the window and told the person behind the glass to wait while they finished their conversation I sort of lost it.

What made me feel better about speaking up and telling the person to put the phone down and get her business done so the rest of us could do the same was that at least 2/3rds of those standing in line spoke up and agreed with what I had said.  (I managed to use only socially appropriate words, although I was tempted to use some what would not have been.)

The thought of shooting them never crossed my mind, although the means and opportunity were there.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 11:28:09 PM »
Chad Oulsen has gone to the special hell.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 01:25:00 AM »
Chad Oulsen has gone to the special hell.

Nah texting during the previews is rude, but not special hell rude.  That's for people that disrupt the MOVIE.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 10:02:58 AM »
From the article: 
Cummings said the man in the back row — later identified as Reeves — got up and left the auditorium, presumably to get a manager. But he came back after a few minutes, without a manager and appearing upset. Moments later, the argument between the two men resumed, and the man in the front row stood up.

The article said he was being charged with 2nd degree murder. It seems to me that his leaving the situation, then returning later and shooting the victim would constitute murder in the 1st.

Maybe because 2nd degree is just easier to prove?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 10:22:14 AM »
This just goes to show that only cops and retired cops should be allowed to carry guns  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 11:49:12 AM »
Sounds like he was assaulted to me.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 12:30:48 PM »
People in the Reuters news feeds are going nuts, saying that if Florida didn't allow concealed carry this never would have happened. Idiots.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 12:42:31 PM »
People in the Reuters news feeds are going nuts, saying that if Florida didn't allow concealed carry this never would have happened. Idiots.

National retired LEO carry  :facepalm:

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 02:01:39 PM »
From the article: 
The article said he was being charged with 2nd degree murder. It seems to me that his leaving the situation, then returning later and shooting the victim would constitute murder in the 1st.

Maybe because 2nd degree is just easier to prove?

it sounds like the argument escalated after he returned.  is the use of ninja popcorn justification for use of force?  on the face of it i would say no, but without being there i can't say.  maybe the guy was climbing over the seats to get at the ex-pd?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 06:10:13 PM »
is the use of ninja popcorn justification for use of force?

The important thing is for even retired cops to go home safe at the end of the movie.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 07:14:08 PM »
The last time I was at a movie, they stated the no cell phone use thing enough tines to make me want to do one of two things, use my cell phone or shoot someone. I'd say the blame lies with the theatre.

fifth_column

• friend
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 10:36:49 AM »
Apparently the shooter was denied bail:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/movie-theater-witnesses-no-punches-only-popcorn-thrown-before-shooting/2160911

From the article:

Maybe Reeves was having movie theater flashbacks to this, thinking popcorn was a lethal threat?  Maybe Oulson actually said "popcorn" in an Ackroyd-esque ominous way?  However Reeves was threatened, at least he went home safely that night rather than facing the wrath of popcorn. ;/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN-f5F-xwR4
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 12:39:19 PM »
We have what, over 313 million people here in the US now?

That tells me there's a good chance of more than a couple unbalanced individuals out there interacting with the public at large.

They're going to get set off by the slightest things.  It's already begun, this event being just another example.

I used to flash my headlights at night as a courtesy to oncoming drivers who had their own lights off in the darkness.

Now, it's not worth the possible road rage attack.   =(
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 01:31:49 PM »
We have what, over 313 million people here in the US now?

That tells me there's a good chance of more than a couple unbalanced individuals out there interacting with the public at large.

They're going to get set off by the slightest things.  It's already begun, this event being just another example.

There was a report this morning (I can't recall where) that this isn't the first time this guy has gotten into an argument over cell phone use, so apparently this really bothers him a lot.

As much as I like to speculate, there are not enough facts to really get a good picture as to what happened and if he will be able to claim self-defense.  Most of the articles seem to make it seem like he shot the other guy because he was texting, instead of saying that he shot him following an argument. 

There does seem to be some strange aspects to this event.  As unhinged as this guy appears to be now, he managed to make it this far in life without any major problems.  He was a retired police chief and had worked as chief of security for Busch Gardens.  The victim claimed that he was texting his daughter.  One report said that his daughter was 22 months old.  I don't know any 22 month old kids that text.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 01:42:02 PM »
Modern media is driven by speed not accuracy. In the rush to get on the net a lot of garbage gets put out. I am waiting to see what the reality turns out to be. At this point all I feel sure of is that one guy shot one got shot. And their names

the spin is the wife got shot through the had "shielding" her hubby.  her hand was on his chest
shielding?  or holding him back?
this is gonna be interesting

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 02:24:07 PM by cassandra and sara's daddy »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014, 03:50:15 PM »
I think we need to bring back dueling  =)

• friends
Re:
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 04:11:56 PM »
I like it

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re:
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 04:16:02 PM »
I like it

With swords  :lol:

• friends
Re:
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2014, 04:23:27 PM »
Like it more

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 05:32:28 PM »
It was a real nice movie right up to the shooting.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2014, 11:42:36 AM »
It appears that the former police captain may have failed to utilize any de-escalation skills he had picked up along the way. I wonder if he instead of making a request nicely made the request using his command voice. It may not work as well when out of uniform. Regardless, he should be held to a higher standard of behavior instead of being just given the benefit of the doubt as a former LEO.

IMHO the best way to deal with cell phones in theaters is by not going to theaters  ;)

If you complained about the poor experience I wonder if the theater management would comp you or give you a free pass for another day?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 11:47:50 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.