Author Topic: NYT's attacks Obama for being *gasp* pro-gun!??!?!??!  (Read 11244 times)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: NYT's attacks Obama for being *gasp* pro-gun!??!?!??!
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2008, 04:21:28 AM »
Other politicians have completely changed their stance, once they achieve national power.

Can you provide a historical example?  I have a difficult time believing someone can change THAT much.  Obama's anti-gun sentiment travels very very deep.

George W Bush ran as a conservative......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

wacki

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2008, 11:41:14 AM »
Firstly, he'll want to get re-elected.  Secondly, as President he would have to depend on the support of Congress-folk who also wish to get re-elected, and that would be true even in the awful event of an Obama second term. 

And I still think you give him too much credit, in speaking of his "true agenda."  You and I have a "true agenda," because we have principles.  I don't know that Obama has any. 

Lets see you are telling us to relax and that we should rely on two things:

1) Pure speculation that Obama will drop his lifelong struggle to ban guns in entirety just because he becomes the most powerful person in the planet.
2) Pure speculation that a congress and senate, both being heavily controlled a party that traditionally supports gun control, will not listen to their "rockstar" president that has deep roots in the fight to ban guns?

Logic like this makes it difficult for me to be polite.  So I will say nothing.....

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2008, 02:18:25 PM »
Where did I ever tell you to relax?  You are reading a whole lot into my comments.  I am telling you not to trust Obama.  Don't trust him with your gun rights.  But don't trust him to be consistent, either. 

Pure speculation that a congress and senate, both being heavily controlled a party that traditionally supports gun control, will not listen to their "rockstar" president that has deep roots in the fight to ban guns?

Pure speculation?  Since passing the 1994 "Assault Weapons Ban," the Democrats have learned that gun control is not a winning issue for them.  The gun rights movement has won a lot of ground since then, and put the bad guys on the defensive.  Why would an Obama presidency suddenly change all of that, so that Democrats no longer fear a backlash from gun owners?  If it is "pure speculation" to point out that Congress-critters might moderate their gun control efforts, in order to be re-elected, it is also "pure speculation" to claim that they will ramp up their gun control bid, just based on infatuation with Obama. 

And again, I'm not telling you that Obama won't come after your guns.  I never said that.  I'm just saying I don't trust him to go after all of the same goals he pursued five years ago, as a State Senator that no one on the national scene was paying attention to. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2008, 02:54:28 PM »
Pure speculation?  Since passing the 1994 "Assault Weapons Ban," the Democrats have learned that gun control is not a winning issue for them. 

Then why do they keep pushing crap like 1022 and the latest revision? They just keep trying.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2008, 04:02:06 PM »

And compared to Gore and Kerry, he is a conservative ...

wacki

• friend
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2008, 05:42:11 PM »
Why would an Obama presidency suddenly change all of that, so that Democrats no longer fear a backlash from gun owners? 

If a neo-nazi was elected president would I still think America shuns nazism?  Electing the virulently anti-gun Obama as prez would be a sure fire sign that the NRA and the pro-gun community are weak.  Do you honestly think a democratically controlled Senate and House won't notice that?

I'm just saying I don't trust him to go after all of the same goals he pursued five years ago, as a State Senator that no one on the national scene was paying attention to.

So all of his anti-gun stuff is limited to the Illinois Senate?  Please tell me how it's possible for a Illinois state senator to vote for Ted Kennedy's .30-30 ban.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2008, 06:59:48 PM »
Oops.  I thought Manedwolf was talking about his record as a state senator.  Where's the sheepish smiley?   undecided

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2008, 09:23:28 PM »
He's saying what he thinks he needs to say to get elected.  What's the mystery?

It is essential for a man with his radical core beliefs to pursue gun control; disarmament has always been a war whoop on the Left.  It is also essential that he blame guns and not cultural matters for social violence; how else can he keep the underclass's victim status?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2008, 03:34:39 AM »

And compared to Gore and Kerry, he is a conservative ...

So was Clinton, when compared to those two....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2008, 05:09:26 AM »
That's true.  Clinton was a moderate Democrat.  Too bad he presided over so many anti-gun initiatives.

wacki

• friend
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2008, 01:01:52 PM »
Electing the virulently anti-gun Obama as prez would be a sure fire sign that the NRA and the pro-gun community are weak. 

I accidentally omitted the bold word.  Apparently I'm dyslexic or something, my apologies.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2008, 01:44:41 PM »
If a neo-nazi was elected president would I still think America shuns nazism?  Electing the virulently anti-gun Obama as prez would be a sure fire sign that the NRA and the pro-gun community are weak.  Do you honestly think a democratically controlled Senate and House won't notice that?

I think you may have a point, but you speak as if guns were one of Obama's signature issues.  Things may change, (especially with the Heller decision and its fallout), but for now, guns are not a major issue for most people in this election.  I don't see how his election could be construed as a mandate for gun control. 

wacki

• friend
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2008, 02:29:17 PM »

I think you may have a point, but you speak as if guns were one of Obama's signature issues.  Things may change, (especially with the Heller decision and its fallout), but for now, guns are not a major issue for most people in this election. 

Do you really think Mr. "bitter people clinging to guns" and a man guilty of these acts:
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=3991

will quickly forget about guns as president?  That history runs for too long, has too much deceit and has far too many DC like draconian policies for me to be as relaxed as you are.  Are you really going to tell others not to worry about the information contained in that link?  A behavior that went on for more than a decade?

I don't see how his election could be construed as a mandate for gun control. 

5-4 ruling on the basic right to self defense.  Seriously, 4 judges basically said that the 2A does not protect our natural god given right to protect ourselves even in our own home.  Do you want to run the risk of turning this country into the UK or Massachusetts where women being raped don't even have the right to defend themselves?  Where people that have been robbed 7 times get LIFE in jail when they simply wound the robber that is robbing their home for the 8th time?  Is that the country you want to live in?  The last supreme court case came dangerously close to setting us on the same path that the UK and MA is currently on.

Now, what kind of judges do you think Obama will appoint?  Somebody like Justice Stevens or someone like Scalia?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2008, 04:23:49 PM »
What are you talking about?  What makes you think I'm relaxed?  Where did I give the impression that you shouldn't be worried about an Obama presidency?  You didn't even get the point of my last post.  I wasn't talking about Obama, or what he would do.  I was talking about the issues that most people associate with Obama, and what an Obama victory means to most people.  Guns are not on that list, because they are not a hot issue right now, and because we don't hear Obama talking about guns very often.  I was taking issue with the idea that an Obama victory would be a mandate for more sweeping gun controls.   

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2008, 04:00:43 AM »
What are you talking about?  What makes you think I'm relaxed?  Where did I give the impression that you shouldn't be worried about an Obama presidency?  You didn't even get the point of my last post.  I wasn't talking about Obama, or what he would do.  I was talking about the issues that most people associate with Obama, and what an Obama victory means to most people.  Guns are not on that list, because they are not a hot issue right now, and because we don't hear Obama talking about guns very often.  I was taking issue with the idea that an Obama victory would be a mandate for more sweeping gun controls.   
I believe Heller has effectively removed gun control off of the list for those who are pro-RKBA and not on this forum or others like it.  Joe Gunowner feels safe now.  McCain can bring it up, but Obama will point to his post-Heller statements and say, "See, I agreed with the decision."

The question is what happens the next time some nutjob decides to open fire in a public place.  I think at that point BHO takes advantage of the tragedy to solicit for some 'commonsense' regulations that will make the AWB look like it was written by the NRA.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2008, 07:33:56 AM »
There was another piece a couple weeks ago claiming that Obama was economically a "Chicago Boy" (rough synonym: someone who favors the free market).
D. R. ZINN