Author Topic: This seems to be the place to discuss our maladies, so...  (Read 1885 times)

Antibubba

• friend
This seems to be the place to discuss our maladies, so...
« on: October 09, 2005, 08:58:29 PM »
Last week at this time, I started into a really bad cold-phlegm, chest congestion, stuffy head and sore throat.  About Wednesday, my drainage was really bad, and my ears started ringing-tinnitis.  Well, the cold is almost over, but my ears are still ringing.  I plan to see the doctor, but I just started on new insurance and I haven't even picked a new physician yet.  Any suggestions on the whys and whats?  I really don't want to go through life like this.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

caseydog

• friend
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 09:16:42 PM »
Backpressure , taken any strong antihistamines to help drain things ? Your eustachian tubes are probably still congested and you may have a middle ear infection.

Ray
Be kind as you speak to others , they may be facing demons you are unaware of...

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 03:46:21 AM »
I've been prone to ear infections since I was little so this is a common problem to me. When your head gets all congested the eustachian tubes clog up as well. These are the tubes that drain fluid from your innear ear into the back of your throat. When they get blocked the fluid builds up and causes pain or pressure or ringing and can become infected. I usually take sudafed (the real stuff - pseudoephedrine, not the new fake crap they're selling thanks to the meth cookers) which is a decongestant rather than an antihistimane to help clear up the congestion and if I catch it soon enough I usually don't get the infections any more. If you're still having ringing or pain in a few more days, see the doc. They'll prescribe an antibiotic, probably amoxicillin, and it should clear right up. Don't let it go too long because you can have permanent damage from an advanced infection.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 04:38:43 AM »
The best advice: eat right, get rest, wait 7-10 days to call the doc unless you are having severe symptoms.  People tend to run to doctors with colds/flu's and the doc prescribes antibiotics, which is real bad medicine.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

telewinz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 04:42:07 AM »
Have your ears flushed out and maybe seek a dose of antibiotics to clear-up the infection.
Career Corrections

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 09:01:09 PM »
I went to the doctor this morning-I got right in, and that doesn't happen even when I have an appointment.  He looked and prodded a little, said I have no signs of an E, N, or T infection, and told me to take Sudafed during the day and Benadryl at night; he says it's probably just blockage.  It's nice to hear it from a doctor, though.

Thanks for all the advice.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 04:17:31 AM »
I had an allergic reaction to an arthritis drug a number of years ago and tinnitis started.  Constant ssssssssssssssssssssssssss.  If it doesn't go away, and it might not, you need to come to ignore it, don't fixate on it.  You'll find over time you won't notice it much, unless you are thinking about it or the subject comes up.  No real cure for tinnitis unless it is caused by something else that is fixable.  The worst thing you can do is think about it or listen to it.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Paddy

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 09:12:10 AM »
I've had some kind of left ear problem since April.  It started with allergies so bad I couldn't talk for a week.  Doc gave me some methylprednisolone which was the drug from hell.  Couldn't tolerate it, so he had me on psudofed and Allegra D.  The intermittent dizziness went away but my ear felt like it was still plugged up.  Then, about 3 weeks ago, the gland under my left jaw swelled up.  I finally went back to the doctor who gave me a scrip for Omnicef, an antibiotic.  I've been on that 5 days now and I think it's getting better.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 09:52:17 AM »
(whinny voice)  Mommy, can you bring me some tea and toast and buy me a computer game? (end whinny voice)
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Paddy

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 12:32:40 PM »
eh, tea and toast won't cut it.  How about some Jack Daniels and a steak?Huh?

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 02:22:42 PM »
Wo ho, I'm feeling better already. heh.