Author Topic: Mortality  (Read 929 times)

TarpleyG

• friend
Mortality
« on: October 10, 2005, 04:13:27 AM »
Just got an e-mail that a former co-worker died on Saturday night in a motorcycle accident.  I worked with him and his wife for a few years before they left for other things.  I wasn't necessarily friends with either but it really shook me up to get that e-mail this morning--reminds me how fragile life can be.  This guy was a model dad to two boys and coached football and tee-ball in his spare time.  He was young and had already beat cancer a few years back.  I cannot help but wonder what his wife and boys are going through right now.  Stuff like this makes me question whether I take advantage of what I have.  I love my wife more than I can express and I know that sometimes it bothers her that I cannot express it in terms she can appreciate.  We haven't had any kids yet but they are on the horizon.  Hope I don't have to leave them like this.  No kid should have to outlive his parents.

Godspeed Tom G.

Greg

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Mortality
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 04:47:21 AM »
That's sad, of course.

Motorcycles look like lots of fun.  Then I remember I am a married guy with two young children, one of whom I homeschool.  The upside of motorcycles is the fun in riding them.  The downside is death or permanant vegetative state.  I made my choice.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Stand_watie

• friend
Mortality
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 06:03:28 PM »
Motorcycles are lots of fun.  The death and permanent vegetative state is by far more likely to be caused by a collision with another motorist than with hitting the ground or a fixed object. My point being that if they look fun enough to you to be worth risking more moderate injuries (like broken ankles and legs) that there is a middle course that adventurous, yet prudent men can take, IE off road motorcycling.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Mortality
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 06:30:20 PM »
A good friend of mine lost a friend of hers in a motorcycle accident recently. Her and her husband were riding two up when they got hit. She died at the scene and last i heard he was in the ICU and might not be walking anytime soon.

I love riding and I still ride nearly every day. I am well aware that its a bad choice, but its mine to make. I have to say that if i had a family to support I might approach it differently though. If you have a family to support you *need* to have a quality death/dismemeberment policy, other than that its "buyer beware".

On the plus side, riding a bike gives you ample occasion to reflect on your own mortality. Its not even remotely unusual for me to think: "i might just die in the next 5 seconds" or "huh, I almost bought the farm there" while riding. It gives one a certain enjoyment in life.